• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | College Basketball

    I don't understand how anyone could bet UConn ML or UK -2.5

    ChildishGambino
    VegasVandal
    wildcat95
    vanzack
    kterry973
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1511
    Posts: 12
     
    ChildishGambino
    ChildishGambino
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 541
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 6:46 PM ET #1

    I'm seeing a ton of people taking either the UConn ML or Kentucky with the spread. With a game as much of a toss-up as this one, I can't begin to understand how anyone would take on that unnecessary additional risk....

    Look at the last game for example, Wisconsin vs. Kentucky. I was debating ALL DAY whether to take Wisconsin +1.5 or Kentucky ML, to the point where I almost didn't even bet the game. I ended up taking Wisconsin +1.5, but really it didn't even matter which side I took because I would have won the bet either way...

    Maybe I'm just a conservative gambler, but I've gotten to the point where I'll never take a basketball/football dog ML or a spread if it's -4.5 or below. I understand the logic if a moneyline is something like +260 and you're looking for a value play, but how much value is +125 when you have the option to take a +2.5 spread?

    I'm pretty addied out right now so I'm probably rambling, but I'll close with this, for long-term success TAKE THE POINTS OR BET THE -140 MONEYLINE, DON'T BE GREEDY

    UConn +2.5 for me tonight
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    I'm seeing a ton of people taking either the UConn ML or Kentucky with the spread. With a game as much of a toss-up as this one, I can't begin to understand how anyone would take on that unnecessary additional risk....

    Look at the last game for example, Wisconsin vs. Kentucky. I was debating ALL DAY whether to take Wisconsin +1.5 or Kentucky ML, to the point where I almost didn't even bet the game. I ended up taking Wisconsin +1.5, but really it didn't even matter which side I took because I would have won the bet either way...

    Maybe I'm just a conservative gambler, but I've gotten to the point where I'll never take a basketball/football dog ML or a spread if it's -4.5 or below. I understand the logic if a moneyline is something like +260 and you're looking for a value play, but how much value is +125 when you have the option to take a +2.5 spread?

    I'm pretty addied out right now so I'm probably rambling, but I'll close with this, for long-term success TAKE THE POINTS OR BET THE -140 MONEYLINE, DON'T BE GREEDY

    UConn +2.5 for me tonight
     
    VegasVandal
    VegasVandal
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 26913
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 6:51 PM ET #2

    First off the ML is -150 or worse for most people. Risking an extra 40 cents for an extra point in a half of comfort means

    You must win 52.3% of the time to break even with a -110 line
    You must win 60% of the time just to break even with a -150 line


    Do you feel like you can win 8% more often buying down from  a 2.5 pt line?

    i sure as hell dont
    Reply
    First off the ML is -150 or worse for most people. Risking an extra 40 cents for an extra point in a half of comfort means

    You must win 52.3% of the time to break even with a -110 line
    You must win 60% of the time just to break even with a -150 line


    Do you feel like you can win 8% more often buying down from  a 2.5 pt line?

    i sure as hell dont
     
    wildcat95
    wildcat95
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2012
    Posts: 1542
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 6:57 PM ET #3

    i would lay -145 ml, not worth the stress if it comes down to the last minute, which it has in the last few kent games.  you can always hedge it uconn +3 -120 to middle it or in game if kent builds a lead.
    Reply
    i would lay -145 ml, not worth the stress if it comes down to the last minute, which it has in the last few kent games.  you can always hedge it uconn +3 -120 to middle it or in game if kent builds a lead.
     
    ChildishGambino
    ChildishGambino
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 541
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 7:00 PM ET #4

    Quote Originally Posted by VegasVandal:

    First off the ML is -150 or worse for most people. Risking an extra 40 cents for an extra point in a half of comfort means

    You must win 52.3% of the time to break even with a -110 line
    You must win 60% of the time just to break even with a -150 line


    Do you feel like you can win 8% more often buying down from  a 2.5 pt line?

    i sure as hell dont


    You bring up a good point, but I still think over the long-term it makes sense to risk that extra 40 cents...

    Look at it this way:

    Say you either bet;

    $110 on Kentucky -2.5 to win $100, or
    $150 on Kentucky -150 to win $100

    If Kentucky wins by 3 or more, you win either bet and are +$100, everyone's happy

    If Kentucky wins by less than 2, you're winning $100, INSTEAD of losing $110, thus +$210, considering you would have been -$110 had you taken the spread

    If Kentucky loses the game, and you bet the moneyline, you lose $150, but you would have lost the $110 regardless for taking the spread bet, so really, you're only down $40 more than you would have been....

    Maybe this only makes sense to me, but hopefully somebody else sees the logic here
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasVandal:

    First off the ML is -150 or worse for most people. Risking an extra 40 cents for an extra point in a half of comfort means

    You must win 52.3% of the time to break even with a -110 line
    You must win 60% of the time just to break even with a -150 line


    Do you feel like you can win 8% more often buying down from  a 2.5 pt line?

    i sure as hell dont


    You bring up a good point, but I still think over the long-term it makes sense to risk that extra 40 cents...

    Look at it this way:

    Say you either bet;

    $110 on Kentucky -2.5 to win $100, or
    $150 on Kentucky -150 to win $100

    If Kentucky wins by 3 or more, you win either bet and are +$100, everyone's happy

    If Kentucky wins by less than 2, you're winning $100, INSTEAD of losing $110, thus +$210, considering you would have been -$110 had you taken the spread

    If Kentucky loses the game, and you bet the moneyline, you lose $150, but you would have lost the $110 regardless for taking the spread bet, so really, you're only down $40 more than you would have been....

    Maybe this only makes sense to me, but hopefully somebody else sees the logic here
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 7:02 PM ET #5

    Well, it is pretty simple actually.

    If I can get +138 on the UConn ML, is the +2.5 points worth the 38 cents I will have to pay to get those points?

    I don't know the answer - I am asking. And the answer to that is the answer to your original question.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply

    Well, it is pretty simple actually.

    If I can get +138 on the UConn ML, is the +2.5 points worth the 38 cents I will have to pay to get those points?

    I don't know the answer - I am asking. And the answer to that is the answer to your original question.

     
    ChildishGambino
    ChildishGambino
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 541
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 7:11 PM ET #6

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Well, it is pretty simple actually.

    If I can get +138 on the UConn ML, is the +2.5 points worth the 38 cents I will have to pay to get those points?

    I don't know the answer - I am asking. And the answer to that is the answer to your original question.



    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but what I'm trying to say is

    For a +138 moneyline bet, you could either win $138, or $100 if you take the points. Is the additional $38 really worth the possibility of losing you're entire bet if the team loses by a point or two? I think those who bet the Wisconsin ML on Saturday would say no...

    The point I'm trying to make is, think about all the games where it's -2.5/-3 and the favorite ends up winning by 1 or 2 points. Countless number of games every year. If you approach those games with the approach of either taking the Favorite moneyline, or Dog +points, you will win 100% of those games when they fall within that margin
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    Well, it is pretty simple actually.

    If I can get +138 on the UConn ML, is the +2.5 points worth the 38 cents I will have to pay to get those points?

    I don't know the answer - I am asking. And the answer to that is the answer to your original question.



    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but what I'm trying to say is

    For a +138 moneyline bet, you could either win $138, or $100 if you take the points. Is the additional $38 really worth the possibility of losing you're entire bet if the team loses by a point or two? I think those who bet the Wisconsin ML on Saturday would say no...

    The point I'm trying to make is, think about all the games where it's -2.5/-3 and the favorite ends up winning by 1 or 2 points. Countless number of games every year. If you approach those games with the approach of either taking the Favorite moneyline, or Dog +points, you will win 100% of those games when they fall within that margin
     
    VegasVandal
    VegasVandal
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 26913
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 7:14 PM ET #7

    Childish how in he hell does it make sense over the long haul? That's where is really makes no sense whatsoever.

    That extra 40 dollars you risked on that one game where you most likely would have lost anyway will be multiplied hundreds or thousands of times over someones betting career.

    it's really that simple. Do you think taking a team to win by 1 or 2 points gives you an 8% better edge at winning your bet over the long haul.

    I would bet you anything that the margin of victory is over 3 pts more than 92% of the time and THIS IS EVEN IF YOU PICKED THE RIGHT TEAM ON THE ML.


    So think of yourself picking the correct team first and foremost (let's call it a 55-45 chance) AND it landed exactly on 1 or two points on that exact same team you picked....you feel as though you are gaining a better than 7.8% advantage over the long term with this strategy?

    Think about it for a minute
    Reply
    Childish how in he hell does it make sense over the long haul? That's where is really makes no sense whatsoever.

    That extra 40 dollars you risked on that one game where you most likely would have lost anyway will be multiplied hundreds or thousands of times over someones betting career.

    it's really that simple. Do you think taking a team to win by 1 or 2 points gives you an 8% better edge at winning your bet over the long haul.

    I would bet you anything that the margin of victory is over 3 pts more than 92% of the time and THIS IS EVEN IF YOU PICKED THE RIGHT TEAM ON THE ML.


    So think of yourself picking the correct team first and foremost (let's call it a 55-45 chance) AND it landed exactly on 1 or two points on that exact same team you picked....you feel as though you are gaining a better than 7.8% advantage over the long term with this strategy?

    Think about it for a minute
     
    ChildishGambino
    ChildishGambino
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 541
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 7:23 PM ET #8

    Quote Originally Posted by VegasVandal:

    Childish how in he hell does it make sense over the long haul? That's where is really makes no sense whatsoever.

    That extra 40 dollars you risked on that one game where you most likely would have lost anyway will be multiplied hundreds or thousands of times over someones betting career.

    it's really that simple. Do you think taking a team to win by 1 or 2 points gives you an 8% better edge at winning your bet over the long haul.

    I would bet you anything that the margin of victory is over 3 pts more than 92% of the time and THIS IS EVEN IF YOU PICKED THE RIGHT TEAM ON THE ML.


    So think of yourself picking the correct team first and foremost (let's call it a 55-45 chance) AND it landed exactly on 1 or two points on that exact same team you picked....you feel as though you are gaining a better than 7.8% advantage over the long term with this strategy?

    Think about it for a minute


    I'm not sure where you're pulling all these numbers from, but you brought up a good point...

    By risking the moneyline and losing your bet, you're losing that additional $40, and using this approach, that additional loss is multiplied hundreds of times over one's betting career...

    HOWEVER

    On the other side of that, when a team doesn't cover the spread but wins, you're not only winning the bet, but you're not losing the bet AS YOU WOULD HAVE taking the spread, a +$210 net effect in the example above...

    Granted, the -$40 factor is going to occur MUCH MORE frequently, but the $210 (or however much you bet) will also have it's own multiplying factor over your entire betting career...

    I see what you're saying, but I think you have to look at it from both angles
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasVandal:

    Childish how in he hell does it make sense over the long haul? That's where is really makes no sense whatsoever.

    That extra 40 dollars you risked on that one game where you most likely would have lost anyway will be multiplied hundreds or thousands of times over someones betting career.

    it's really that simple. Do you think taking a team to win by 1 or 2 points gives you an 8% better edge at winning your bet over the long haul.

    I would bet you anything that the margin of victory is over 3 pts more than 92% of the time and THIS IS EVEN IF YOU PICKED THE RIGHT TEAM ON THE ML.


    So think of yourself picking the correct team first and foremost (let's call it a 55-45 chance) AND it landed exactly on 1 or two points on that exact same team you picked....you feel as though you are gaining a better than 7.8% advantage over the long term with this strategy?

    Think about it for a minute


    I'm not sure where you're pulling all these numbers from, but you brought up a good point...

    By risking the moneyline and losing your bet, you're losing that additional $40, and using this approach, that additional loss is multiplied hundreds of times over one's betting career...

    HOWEVER

    On the other side of that, when a team doesn't cover the spread but wins, you're not only winning the bet, but you're not losing the bet AS YOU WOULD HAVE taking the spread, a +$210 net effect in the example above...

    Granted, the -$40 factor is going to occur MUCH MORE frequently, but the $210 (or however much you bet) will also have it's own multiplying factor over your entire betting career...

    I see what you're saying, but I think you have to look at it from both angles
     
    VegasVandal
    VegasVandal
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 26913
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 7:31 PM ET #9

    type in your moneylines here and they tell you a breakeven win %

    https://www.covers.com/sportsbetting/money_lines.aspx

    you are correct that there is a flip side to both positions but the side you are saying does not justify the actual 7.8% win benefit that is needed to cover the extra juice.

    In order for your position to be correct you would have to win a -150 ML bet while the -2.5 spread is a losing bet( if you would have taken it instead )better than 1 in every 13 times you bet. I don't have archived data showing this can't happen better than once every 13 times you bet but with the experience I have wagering I would feel that is does not reach this number most years
    Reply
    type in your moneylines here and they tell you a breakeven win %

    https://www.covers.com/sportsbetting/money_lines.aspx

    you are correct that there is a flip side to both positions but the side you are saying does not justify the actual 7.8% win benefit that is needed to cover the extra juice.

    In order for your position to be correct you would have to win a -150 ML bet while the -2.5 spread is a losing bet( if you would have taken it instead )better than 1 in every 13 times you bet. I don't have archived data showing this can't happen better than once every 13 times you bet but with the experience I have wagering I would feel that is does not reach this number most years
     
    kterry973
    kterry973
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2014
    Posts: 969
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 7:54 PM ET #10

    Jesus Christ guys enough math for a second lol until someone experiences a bad beat on a spread that's 3 or less most likely they will continue to bet the spread until it happens to them .. and if it has to happen multiple times then that person is just an idiot.. I personally would much rather risk the extra couple bucks anything 3 or less im on the moneyline fcuk a bad beat its happened to me twice NEVER AGAIN THOUGH! just like with UK's last game I took them ML thank god!
    Reply
    Jesus Christ guys enough math for a second lol until someone experiences a bad beat on a spread that's 3 or less most likely they will continue to bet the spread until it happens to them .. and if it has to happen multiple times then that person is just an idiot.. I personally would much rather risk the extra couple bucks anything 3 or less im on the moneyline fcuk a bad beat its happened to me twice NEVER AGAIN THOUGH! just like with UK's last game I took them ML thank god!
     
    jebaum
    jebaum
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2013
    Posts: 297
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 7:55 PM ET #11

     I have looked hard at both sides of this issue and have concluded that it really comes down to a case by case basis. The NBA in particular is notorious for keeping it close to the line at the end and winning but not covering, especially when there has been line movement involved. I don't think that it usually pays off in college where the end of games are handled so much differently. The tourney is a little different because of the frequency of buzzer beaters, for whatever reason.  Again , I think it's case by case and i used to believe never buy points, better to sell them if you can[ dog ML]. I think that's particularly true in Bowl season.
    Reply
     I have looked hard at both sides of this issue and have concluded that it really comes down to a case by case basis. The NBA in particular is notorious for keeping it close to the line at the end and winning but not covering, especially when there has been line movement involved. I don't think that it usually pays off in college where the end of games are handled so much differently. The tourney is a little different because of the frequency of buzzer beaters, for whatever reason.  Again , I think it's case by case and i used to believe never buy points, better to sell them if you can[ dog ML]. I think that's particularly true in Bowl season.
     
     
    ChildishGambino
    ChildishGambino
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2012
    Posts: 541
    Posted: Apr. 7, 2014 - 8:17 PM ET #12

    I think it really boils down to whether or not you think slightly better odds is worth the possibility of losing your entire bet if the team doesn't cover...

    Saturday a ton of cappers were on Kentucky -1.5, compared to the moneyline which was only around -130... and in this case the spread lost while the moneyline won...

    I know this is only one game, but this kind of game happens ALL THE TIME, especially in NBA...

    The point is, by just being conservative and taking either Wisconsin +1.5 or Kentucky -130, or whatever game it is, you win 100% of the games that fall within that small range no matter which side you take vs. losing the "value" play of Wisconsin ML or Kentucky -1.5
    Reply
    I think it really boils down to whether or not you think slightly better odds is worth the possibility of losing your entire bet if the team doesn't cover...

    Saturday a ton of cappers were on Kentucky -1.5, compared to the moneyline which was only around -130... and in this case the spread lost while the moneyline won...

    I know this is only one game, but this kind of game happens ALL THE TIME, especially in NBA...

    The point is, by just being conservative and taking either Wisconsin +1.5 or Kentucky -130, or whatever game it is, you win 100% of the games that fall within that small range no matter which side you take vs. losing the "value" play of Wisconsin ML or Kentucky -1.5
    All Forums | College Basketball

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,609
    • Sunday 09/27/2026 500
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,090
    • Sunday 3,117
    • Rams vs Broncos in game live SNF 2,261
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 101,899
    • HELP PLEASE 1,297
    • NFL Sunday 7,244
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 13,518
    • ***Macwesties * Thur. * Sun. Sept. 24, 27, 2026 * Week #3 * NFL Football Plays* 8,733

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.