• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | College Football

    My Night at Qualcomm Stadium with My Two Kids..

    GeorgeBailey
    jimmydafreak
    payne034
    thedon88
    Skipbone
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1844
    Posts: 21
     
    GeorgeBailey
    GeorgeBailey
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 261
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 4:46 AM ET #1

    I'm 45 years old and have been gambling for as long as I can remember.

    Like most if not all of you, I love gambling.  I love handicapping.  I love numbers, trends, probability....I like rooting in my picks from the couch...I love everything there is about betting...and I always have.

    But perhaps the best part of it all, as almost all on this site would confess, is the rush of winning.  That profound "high" you get rooting in your bet that you worked so hard to handicap, research and figure out.  Or simply, the bet that you made with zero handicapping at all but, regardless, its still and winner and you were on the right side.  When it cashes...man, nothing like it right?  I'm right there with you.

    In the 25+ years that I've been gambling, if I'm honest, I'd say that I've probably lost maybe $75K-$100K.  That's conservative and that's being honest.  Despite those awesome weekends where I might win $1000 or $1500 in football, there seem to be just so many more weekends where I lost the same (or more) and feel downright sick.  You sit there in your all too familiar place sweating out the last few minutes of a game that seems to determine what your outlook for the following week (or at least next day or two) will be.  I've been there so many times asking (the football gods?) for that one break, that one time, to just go my way.. its happened so many damn times that at this point its become laughable....but at the same time, kind of sad as I reflect on it. 

    At this point as some read this they are saying, "well, I'm just a recreational gambler...I do this crap for fun...this guy is different though, he's obviously got a problem".  If that's true for you, you're in a good spot.  No harm in making things "interesting" as they say and staying within your means....as long as you do that and are honest with yourself. 

    For me, I'm not really in that spot.  I have a problem with gambling - chasing losses, betting beyond my means, allowing it to be more of a priority in my life than it should be - not all the time obviously but more frequently than I think most would consider "normal" and I've finally recognized that.  I've gotten to the point where the highs of winning no longer seem to outweigh those bottom outs/depressions of losing.  In short, I've let gambling do to me what I never ever intended to let anything or anyone do to me...and that's let it get a hold of me.  Life's too friggin' short to let anyone or anything get a hold of you.  Beyond the financial repercussions (they're not hugely significant but they are measureable) there's a price that I've paid just in terms of how much time I've devoted to watching all this stuff - time that I could be doing something more constructive, most notably with my kids and family.        

    OK..OK...OK..so (if you're still reading my endless drivel) what's up with the title you ask?  Well terseness and getting to the point have never been my strong suit but without further adieu here it is...

    For the past 5-6 weeks I've been betting SDSU pretty big each time and they've covered incredibly like 6 times in a row or something (except for a push last weekend).  Curiously, despite the incredible run with them over the past month and half, I still managed to have losing weeks just with other bets that lost miserably...the story of my life.  

    After finally taking stock in myself and recognizing that I've been really wasting my time, money, positive energy and a healthy portion of my life on this suckers game, I placed my final bet on the SDSU/Air Force game tonight at Qualcomm stadium.  I know even that statement sounds kind of silly/moronic but forgive my delivery...but its the absolute truth.  I took the entire balance in my on-line account ($2600) and placed the biggest single game amount that I've ever placed on a game.

    I knew that win or lose it would be my very last sports bet I ever place.  If it won, great - I would cash out with a good amount and throw it in the bank with no coming back.  If it lost, well it will go down as the most expensive beat/loss and would do nothing but punctuate the closing page of a now finished book (no pun intended). 

    My 10 year old son is a huge SDSU fan and my 8 year old daughter just loves to scream, cheer and dance to all that NEW music (remember I'm 45 ) that they play at the stadium so she was all in to it.  I took the two of them, we rooted for our Aztecs, and had a great time as the good guys won in a tight one 27-24!  The three of us had a blast at the game.

    It was only fitting, and I mean that in the most GENUINE way, that the team that the 3 of us were rooting for all night actually won the game but didn't cover the 6 points that the gamblers needed them to cover.  Couldn't have scripted a more indelible ending....at least not personally for me. 

    I lost the bet....a BIG bet and for the first time that I can ever remember, and I'm being completely honest here, had little to no regret or resentment over the loss knowing that it was the last time I would do it (win or lose).

    Was I rooting for them to win by a TD?...I've been 100% honest to this point and I will end on that note....of course I was as you already know.  But the fact that it ended on the wrong side didn't seem to even bother me, down deep.  It felt more like a disappointing relief...strange to say but its the best way I can explain it.

    I know I'll get a bunch of responses saying..."see you tomorrow" and "do yourself a favor and bet___ (<--insert NFL team here)" and that's alright...Its cool...I get it - its a friggin' betting website with all sorts of characters on it.  I'll probably get a laugh out of those kind of responses honestly.  But ultimately, for those that actually read all of this, I hope the message had some value to at least some of you and it caused you to pause if you happened to think of your own case as you read my story.

    Thanks for listening... 

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    I'm 45 years old and have been gambling for as long as I can remember.

    Like most if not all of you, I love gambling.  I love handicapping.  I love numbers, trends, probability....I like rooting in my picks from the couch...I love everything there is about betting...and I always have.

    But perhaps the best part of it all, as almost all on this site would confess, is the rush of winning.  That profound "high" you get rooting in your bet that you worked so hard to handicap, research and figure out.  Or simply, the bet that you made with zero handicapping at all but, regardless, its still and winner and you were on the right side.  When it cashes...man, nothing like it right?  I'm right there with you.

    In the 25+ years that I've been gambling, if I'm honest, I'd say that I've probably lost maybe $75K-$100K.  That's conservative and that's being honest.  Despite those awesome weekends where I might win $1000 or $1500 in football, there seem to be just so many more weekends where I lost the same (or more) and feel downright sick.  You sit there in your all too familiar place sweating out the last few minutes of a game that seems to determine what your outlook for the following week (or at least next day or two) will be.  I've been there so many times asking (the football gods?) for that one break, that one time, to just go my way.. its happened so many damn times that at this point its become laughable....but at the same time, kind of sad as I reflect on it. 

    At this point as some read this they are saying, "well, I'm just a recreational gambler...I do this crap for fun...this guy is different though, he's obviously got a problem".  If that's true for you, you're in a good spot.  No harm in making things "interesting" as they say and staying within your means....as long as you do that and are honest with yourself. 

    For me, I'm not really in that spot.  I have a problem with gambling - chasing losses, betting beyond my means, allowing it to be more of a priority in my life than it should be - not all the time obviously but more frequently than I think most would consider "normal" and I've finally recognized that.  I've gotten to the point where the highs of winning no longer seem to outweigh those bottom outs/depressions of losing.  In short, I've let gambling do to me what I never ever intended to let anything or anyone do to me...and that's let it get a hold of me.  Life's too friggin' short to let anyone or anything get a hold of you.  Beyond the financial repercussions (they're not hugely significant but they are measureable) there's a price that I've paid just in terms of how much time I've devoted to watching all this stuff - time that I could be doing something more constructive, most notably with my kids and family.        

    OK..OK...OK..so (if you're still reading my endless drivel) what's up with the title you ask?  Well terseness and getting to the point have never been my strong suit but without further adieu here it is...

    For the past 5-6 weeks I've been betting SDSU pretty big each time and they've covered incredibly like 6 times in a row or something (except for a push last weekend).  Curiously, despite the incredible run with them over the past month and half, I still managed to have losing weeks just with other bets that lost miserably...the story of my life.  

    After finally taking stock in myself and recognizing that I've been really wasting my time, money, positive energy and a healthy portion of my life on this suckers game, I placed my final bet on the SDSU/Air Force game tonight at Qualcomm stadium.  I know even that statement sounds kind of silly/moronic but forgive my delivery...but its the absolute truth.  I took the entire balance in my on-line account ($2600) and placed the biggest single game amount that I've ever placed on a game.

    I knew that win or lose it would be my very last sports bet I ever place.  If it won, great - I would cash out with a good amount and throw it in the bank with no coming back.  If it lost, well it will go down as the most expensive beat/loss and would do nothing but punctuate the closing page of a now finished book (no pun intended). 

    My 10 year old son is a huge SDSU fan and my 8 year old daughter just loves to scream, cheer and dance to all that NEW music (remember I'm 45 ) that they play at the stadium so she was all in to it.  I took the two of them, we rooted for our Aztecs, and had a great time as the good guys won in a tight one 27-24!  The three of us had a blast at the game.

    It was only fitting, and I mean that in the most GENUINE way, that the team that the 3 of us were rooting for all night actually won the game but didn't cover the 6 points that the gamblers needed them to cover.  Couldn't have scripted a more indelible ending....at least not personally for me. 

    I lost the bet....a BIG bet and for the first time that I can ever remember, and I'm being completely honest here, had little to no regret or resentment over the loss knowing that it was the last time I would do it (win or lose).

    Was I rooting for them to win by a TD?...I've been 100% honest to this point and I will end on that note....of course I was as you already know.  But the fact that it ended on the wrong side didn't seem to even bother me, down deep.  It felt more like a disappointing relief...strange to say but its the best way I can explain it.

    I know I'll get a bunch of responses saying..."see you tomorrow" and "do yourself a favor and bet___ (<--insert NFL team here)" and that's alright...Its cool...I get it - its a friggin' betting website with all sorts of characters on it.  I'll probably get a laugh out of those kind of responses honestly.  But ultimately, for those that actually read all of this, I hope the message had some value to at least some of you and it caused you to pause if you happened to think of your own case as you read my story.

    Thanks for listening... 

     
    jimmydafreak
    jimmydafreak
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 13951
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 7:54 AM ET #2

     

    Reply

     

     
    payne034
    payne034
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2005
    Posts: 12161
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 8:01 AM ET #3

    Very good read
    Reply
    Very good read
     
    thedon88
    thedon88
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2010
    Posts: 149
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 8:38 AM ET #4

    good luck bud. you are making the right choice. start saving for your kids college education. 
    Reply
    good luck bud. you are making the right choice. start saving for your kids college education. 
     
    Skipbone
    Skipbone
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 6368
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 8:53 AM ET #5

    Dope
    Reply
    Dope
     
    thorpe
    thorpe
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 12927
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 8:54 AM ET #6

    Enjoy your weekends, and now you'll get a laugh out of the horrible officiating instead of pulling your hair out.  


    Reply
    Enjoy your weekends, and now you'll get a laugh out of the horrible officiating instead of pulling your hair out.  


     
    Iancolts
    Iancolts
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2015
    Posts: 236
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 9:12 AM ET #7

    You know what you'll probably get bad commoners for being honest. But you're absolutely right on this one!! Everybody here who gambled for sport gambles for that high when they win. Now you
    Can enjoy the games like a true fan!! No more worries.
    Reply
    You know what you'll probably get bad commoners for being honest. But you're absolutely right on this one!! Everybody here who gambled for sport gambles for that high when they win. Now you
    Can enjoy the games like a true fan!! No more worries.
     
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    JEFFMARKETCAP
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2002
    Posts: 56261
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 9:15 AM ET #8

    Reply
     
    Hoyasaxa
    Hoyasaxa
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2008
    Posts: 5248
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 10:03 AM ET #9

    Great stuff, good luck and well said...I personally am down life long too and never expected to be up...I haven't lost any more than someone who plays a lot of golf or owns a boat but as for stopping, I've found one at least initially needs something else to occupy the brain...have you as well and have others here found that that dissapates over time?

    I've heard from an addiction specialist it takes 2 years to re-trainthe brain from addiction...


    Reply
    Great stuff, good luck and well said...I personally am down life long too and never expected to be up...I haven't lost any more than someone who plays a lot of golf or owns a boat but as for stopping, I've found one at least initially needs something else to occupy the brain...have you as well and have others here found that that dissapates over time?

    I've heard from an addiction specialist it takes 2 years to re-trainthe brain from addiction...


     
    UnderdogsGalore
    UnderdogsGalore
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 722
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 12:38 PM ET #10

    Great post! Your experiences are definitely something we can all relate to in one way or another.

    I also started this sick habit from youth, going to the local Indian casinos as a minor and playing slots, then played tables when I turned 21, then gradually unloading tons of money on the sportsbook over the past 20 years of my life. Yes indeed it is a sickening habit.

    What I also realized is that we all have a chemical imbalance that triggers certain compulsions within us. My compulsive behavior is gambling and smoking. Others I know won't lay a bet on anything but can't go a day without a drink. Still others I know shake their heads when they see me on my phone checking all the scores but yet they can't shake their Vicodin habit.

    I'm not justifying my addiction nor chalking it off as something that is natural but just coming from a psychological point of view, we all have some form of degeneracy, some more pronounced than others and at the very least, we do recognize it is a problem. Denial is for the weak.

    The best way I have found to repulse many of my urges to place a bet is to leave my phone at home. I like to take my headphones to the gym and workout. I don't like the gyms that show ESPN on its television either. The score ticker on the bottom of the screen drives me insane when I am on the treadmill trying to finish my run. After I leave the gym, I definitely feel a lot better about myself and less like a loser (that's how I feel when I lay on the couch every time I do a sport betting marathon on College Football Saturday).

    Good luck on your new life brother. BTW, I'm also from San Diego and am a die hard Chargers/Padres/Aztecs fan. I wasn't feeling the Aztecs at -4 and certainly wasn't going to bet on Air Force and root against my team!
    Reply
    Great post! Your experiences are definitely something we can all relate to in one way or another.

    I also started this sick habit from youth, going to the local Indian casinos as a minor and playing slots, then played tables when I turned 21, then gradually unloading tons of money on the sportsbook over the past 20 years of my life. Yes indeed it is a sickening habit.

    What I also realized is that we all have a chemical imbalance that triggers certain compulsions within us. My compulsive behavior is gambling and smoking. Others I know won't lay a bet on anything but can't go a day without a drink. Still others I know shake their heads when they see me on my phone checking all the scores but yet they can't shake their Vicodin habit.

    I'm not justifying my addiction nor chalking it off as something that is natural but just coming from a psychological point of view, we all have some form of degeneracy, some more pronounced than others and at the very least, we do recognize it is a problem. Denial is for the weak.

    The best way I have found to repulse many of my urges to place a bet is to leave my phone at home. I like to take my headphones to the gym and workout. I don't like the gyms that show ESPN on its television either. The score ticker on the bottom of the screen drives me insane when I am on the treadmill trying to finish my run. After I leave the gym, I definitely feel a lot better about myself and less like a loser (that's how I feel when I lay on the couch every time I do a sport betting marathon on College Football Saturday).

    Good luck on your new life brother. BTW, I'm also from San Diego and am a die hard Chargers/Padres/Aztecs fan. I wasn't feeling the Aztecs at -4 and certainly wasn't going to bet on Air Force and root against my team!
     
    boomersooner18
    boomersooner18
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2013
    Posts: 2509
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 2:07 PM ET #11

    Great story BOL
    Reply
    Great story BOL
     
    Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2013
    Posts: 5611
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 2:17 PM ET #12

    SNITCHES end up being bitches, or end up with stitches, and in ditches! #REALITY
    Reply
     
    Oktoberfestlax4
    Oktoberfestlax4
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2013
    Posts: 1037
    Posted: Dec. 6, 2015 - 2:38 PM ET #13

    Similar situation/feel for me at the Noles vs GT game earlier this year @ Bobby Dodd. Two beautiful, little girls in front of me rooting their hearts out for GT, and I realized how much I didn't care about winning a bet or watch my team win at this point...

    It just isn't worth it to me anymore like it used to. I know stats and numbers pretty well, but nothing compares to that peace of mind and not having to invest all your emotions and energy into an outcome we have no control over anyway...

    Congrats man and good luck in the future with your fam

    Reply
    Similar situation/feel for me at the Noles vs GT game earlier this year @ Bobby Dodd. Two beautiful, little girls in front of me rooting their hearts out for GT, and I realized how much I didn't care about winning a bet or watch my team win at this point...

    It just isn't worth it to me anymore like it used to. I know stats and numbers pretty well, but nothing compares to that peace of mind and not having to invest all your emotions and energy into an outcome we have no control over anyway...

    Congrats man and good luck in the future with your fam

     
    Michfan15
    Michfan15
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 11316
    Posted: Dec. 7, 2015 - 10:39 AM ET #14

    Good read and good luck ending your habit.  I've been in similar positions (at michigan games mostly) where everyone is celebrating cause we win and I was pissed because we didn't cover, similar position to your SDST game.  On the flip side I'll be celebrating when we lose but cover as dog. 

    So lesson learned is just lay the juice and play the ML in those instances so your interests align with everyone else's.  Sure it'll cost more but you avoid the "degen gambler" label in those instances.  
    Reply
    Good read and good luck ending your habit.  I've been in similar positions (at michigan games mostly) where everyone is celebrating cause we win and I was pissed because we didn't cover, similar position to your SDST game.  On the flip side I'll be celebrating when we lose but cover as dog. 

    So lesson learned is just lay the juice and play the ML in those instances so your interests align with everyone else's.  Sure it'll cost more but you avoid the "degen gambler" label in those instances.  
     
    DannerB7
    DannerB7
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2013
    Posts: 591
    Posted: Dec. 7, 2015 - 11:49 AM ET #15

    Great read, thank you and BOL. 
    Reply
    Great read, thank you and BOL. 
     
    GeorgeBailey
    GeorgeBailey
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2012
    Posts: 261
    Posted: Dec. 10, 2015 - 2:05 AM ET #16

    Just catching up to this thread after being away from it for a couple of days - glad to see that it seemed to resonate with some folks.  Hopefully it had value to people on some level. 

     

    I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who took the time to read it and particularly to those who had nice things to say.  Peace. 

    Reply

    Just catching up to this thread after being away from it for a couple of days - glad to see that it seemed to resonate with some folks.  Hopefully it had value to people on some level. 

     

    I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who took the time to read it and particularly to those who had nice things to say.  Peace. 

     
    DoubleUp4Life
    DoubleUp4Life
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 66896
    Posted: Dec. 10, 2015 - 10:17 AM ET #17



    LOVE READING THE TRUTH 



    MUCH RESPECT 
    BEST OF HEALTH, HAPPINESS,WEALTH, BLESSINGS and LUCK TO ALL !!
    Reply


    LOVE READING THE TRUTH 



    MUCH RESPECT 
     
    HFS
    HFS
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2014
    Posts: 26
    Posted: Dec. 13, 2015 - 10:03 AM ET #18

    Good luck man for the rest of your life, which is starting right now. Enjoy the time with your kids, it's just the best thing you can do with your life.
    Reply
    Good luck man for the rest of your life, which is starting right now. Enjoy the time with your kids, it's just the best thing you can do with your life.
     
    TopHog
    TopHog
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2011
    Posts: 2667
    Posted: Dec. 13, 2015 - 1:15 PM ET #19

    Good for you bro. I'm glad you could get out. To me the hardest thing is staying gone
    Reply
    Good for you bro. I'm glad you could get out. To me the hardest thing is staying gone
     
    Hoyasaxa
    Hoyasaxa
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2008
    Posts: 5248
    Posted: Dec. 13, 2015 - 11:55 PM ET #20

    it begs the question...so if you lose 5% of your gross income each year, and don't have expensive hobbies like golf or a boat, are you in trouble? I am no where near risking my lifestyle or saved future but I also got very mad recently when I couldn't get a deposit in on time for more bets...It owns me and I'd need something to replace it if I stopped...
    Reply
    it begs the question...so if you lose 5% of your gross income each year, and don't have expensive hobbies like golf or a boat, are you in trouble? I am no where near risking my lifestyle or saved future but I also got very mad recently when I couldn't get a deposit in on time for more bets...It owns me and I'd need something to replace it if I stopped...
     
     
    thorpe
    thorpe
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 12927
    Posted: Dec. 14, 2015 - 9:08 AM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyasaxa:

    it begs the question...so if you lose 5% of your gross income each year, and don't have expensive hobbies like golf or a boat, are you in trouble? I am no where near risking my lifestyle or saved future but I also got very mad recently when I couldn't get a deposit in on time for more bets...It owns me and I'd need something to replace it if I stopped...

    You aren't in trouble only losing 5% a year, but you are in trouble if you have to increase your bet sizes to get the same satisfaction.

    And just because your aren't in financial trouble, doesn't mean you wouldn't be happier not betting at all.  Sportsbetting and other addictions can take a toll on your personal relationships that you don't realize until you stop.  If you are always losing, and always get grouchy when you lose, then you probably aren't much fun to be around.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyasaxa:

    it begs the question...so if you lose 5% of your gross income each year, and don't have expensive hobbies like golf or a boat, are you in trouble? I am no where near risking my lifestyle or saved future but I also got very mad recently when I couldn't get a deposit in on time for more bets...It owns me and I'd need something to replace it if I stopped...

    You aren't in trouble only losing 5% a year, but you are in trouble if you have to increase your bet sizes to get the same satisfaction.

    And just because your aren't in financial trouble, doesn't mean you wouldn't be happier not betting at all.  Sportsbetting and other addictions can take a toll on your personal relationships that you don't realize until you stop.  If you are always losing, and always get grouchy when you lose, then you probably aren't much fun to be around.


    All Forums | College Football

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,608
    • Sunday 09/27/2026 497
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,088
    • Sunday 3,111
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 101,894
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 13,501
    • ***Macwesties * Thur. * Sun. Sept. 24, 27, 2026 * Week #3 * NFL Football Plays* 8,723
    • NFL Sunday 6,987
    • Mike Trout Strikeouts 7,101
    • King of Covers Winner List 12,239

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.