• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Investments

    Market Bottoming Out....Need Opinions

    HutchEmAll
    rubberneck
    KOAJ
    Vermeer
    LeRinkRat
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 645
    Posts: 10
     
    HutchEmAll
    HutchEmAll
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 38704
    Posted: Jan. 28, 2009 - 3:17 PM ET #1

    I've been sitting on a pretty big chunk of money for almost a year now....just waiting to get into the market.  I held off because I was afraid where things were going.  Like most, I've lost 20-35% of what I had in the market.  But the majority of my assets were not in the market (my business income is in a conservative plan and I have a good chunk in a money market outside of that).  I have my Roth account, a simple IRA at work, a regular IRA, a general investment account, and an annuity.  Well I'm looking to get my cash into the market.  I have a plan that I'm pretty comfortable with (stocks and mutual funds).  It's largely based on companies/industries on solid foundations that are undervalued (US Bank, Diageo, Vodafone, as well as some energy based mutual funds (and a Latin American fund as well as a few others).
     
    My advisor has counseled me that it's a guessing game as to when you hit bottom.  He says it's time.  I've gotten my ass handed to me enough and really need to make a smart decision here (I realize it's a gamble no matter what).
     
    IF YOU WERE ME, would you buy now or hold out a little longer to see what happens. 
     
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    I've been sitting on a pretty big chunk of money for almost a year now....just waiting to get into the market.  I held off because I was afraid where things were going.  Like most, I've lost 20-35% of what I had in the market.  But the majority of my assets were not in the market (my business income is in a conservative plan and I have a good chunk in a money market outside of that).  I have my Roth account, a simple IRA at work, a regular IRA, a general investment account, and an annuity.  Well I'm looking to get my cash into the market.  I have a plan that I'm pretty comfortable with (stocks and mutual funds).  It's largely based on companies/industries on solid foundations that are undervalued (US Bank, Diageo, Vodafone, as well as some energy based mutual funds (and a Latin American fund as well as a few others).
     
    My advisor has counseled me that it's a guessing game as to when you hit bottom.  He says it's time.  I've gotten my ass handed to me enough and really need to make a smart decision here (I realize it's a gamble no matter what).
     
    IF YOU WERE ME, would you buy now or hold out a little longer to see what happens. 
     
     
    rubberneck
    rubberneck
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2000
    Posts: 3220
    Posted: Jan. 28, 2009 - 6:25 PM ET #2

    after last year do you trust the market now???
    Reply
    after last year do you trust the market now???
     
    KOAJ
    KOAJ
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 66698
    Posted: Jan. 29, 2009 - 9:37 AM ET #3

    i think the government will pull out all stops for the next 4-6 months or so and be the buyer of everything

    after that, its anyone's guess

    we will run out of money soon enough
    Reply
    i think the government will pull out all stops for the next 4-6 months or so and be the buyer of everything

    after that, its anyone's guess

    we will run out of money soon enough
     
    Vermeer
    Vermeer
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 2910
    Posted: Jan. 29, 2009 - 7:06 PM ET #4

    Quote Originally Posted by KOAJ:

    i think the government will pull out all stops for the next 4-6 months or so and be the buyer of everything

    after that, its anyone's guess

    we will run out of money soon enough



      While I agree, I suppose it would be picking nits to point out we already have run out of money...not paper, however...
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by KOAJ:

    i think the government will pull out all stops for the next 4-6 months or so and be the buyer of everything

    after that, its anyone's guess

    we will run out of money soon enough



      While I agree, I suppose it would be picking nits to point out we already have run out of money...not paper, however...
     
    LeRinkRat
    LeRinkRat
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2001
    Posts: 85256
    Posted: Jan. 30, 2009 - 3:38 PM ET #5

    the decending top pattern in the S&P looks like we will see a retest of the November lows sometime soon. be patient and wait for that.
     
    as for sectors to invest in then, I still like the beat up gaming stocks like LVS and IGT for speculators and the "blue chips" like GE (even though they have a huge financial component) and infrastructure related like CAT and FLR for those who are more conservative.
    Reply
    the decending top pattern in the S&P looks like we will see a retest of the November lows sometime soon. be patient and wait for that.
     
    as for sectors to invest in then, I still like the beat up gaming stocks like LVS and IGT for speculators and the "blue chips" like GE (even though they have a huge financial component) and infrastructure related like CAT and FLR for those who are more conservative.
     
    djVox
    djVox
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 130
    Posted: Jan. 31, 2009 - 8:18 AM ET #6

    Hold for now.  The overall trend of the market just started back down in the last two days.  This trend will break the lows.  It's going to get pretty ungly.  But once we make a new all time low we should see a multi-month recoverery.  This will be the biggest recovery since the bear market began.  That's when I would go long.  There is no need to call the bottom.  Wait till you know it is in and catch the main chuck of the recoverery.
    Reply
    Hold for now.  The overall trend of the market just started back down in the last two days.  This trend will break the lows.  It's going to get pretty ungly.  But once we make a new all time low we should see a multi-month recoverery.  This will be the biggest recovery since the bear market began.  That's when I would go long.  There is no need to call the bottom.  Wait till you know it is in and catch the main chuck of the recoverery.
     
    claycourtlesson
    claycourtlesson
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 14917
    Posted: Feb. 1, 2009 - 10:18 AM ET #7

    Yep, let the big boys with inside info get the first and last 30% of the move, just make damn sure you get the middle 40%, cause in this f--ed up world, that is as good as you are going to get.
     
    Little guy trying to "time" the bottom is this........
    Reply
    Yep, let the big boys with inside info get the first and last 30% of the move, just make damn sure you get the middle 40%, cause in this f--ed up world, that is as good as you are going to get.
     
    Little guy trying to "time" the bottom is this........
     
    claycourtlesson
    claycourtlesson
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2006
    Posts: 14917
    Posted: Feb. 1, 2009 - 10:20 AM ET #8

    The way the technicals and fundamentals are coming together, "the market" has at least a chance of violating and breaking the Novemeber lows.
    Reply
    The way the technicals and fundamentals are coming together, "the market" has at least a chance of violating and breaking the Novemeber lows.
     
    HutchEmAll
    HutchEmAll
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 38704
    Posted: Feb. 5, 2009 - 11:02 AM ET #9

    Thanks for the input everyone. 

    I have invested about half of my intended amount so far mainly based on:  Little guy trying to "time" the bottom is this 
     
    I can see MAYBE 7,500, but I really doubt it will get worse then that (I hope I'm not wrong). 
     
     
    Reply
    Thanks for the input everyone. 

    I have invested about half of my intended amount so far mainly based on:  Little guy trying to "time" the bottom is this 
     
    I can see MAYBE 7,500, but I really doubt it will get worse then that (I hope I'm not wrong). 
     
     
     
     
    KOAJ
    KOAJ
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2005
    Posts: 66698
    Posted: Feb. 6, 2009 - 12:54 PM ET #10

    Little guy trying to "time" the bottom is this 
     
    I can see MAYBE 7,500, but I really doubt it will get worse then that (I hope I'm not wrong)
    -----------
    just dont screw around

    take your profits and move on if you have them

    this is not an investing mkt unless its for 30+ years...trading only
    Reply
    Little guy trying to "time" the bottom is this 
     
    I can see MAYBE 7,500, but I really doubt it will get worse then that (I hope I'm not wrong)
    -----------
    just dont screw around

    take your profits and move on if you have them

    this is not an investing mkt unless its for 30+ years...trading only
    All Forums | Investments

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,308
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 266,108
    • PART DEUX 223
    • Steelers vs Browns in-game live TNF 2,114
    • Friday 10/02/2026 850
    • Cleveland Bettors 2,687
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 30,392
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 12,154
    • Happening just recently . . . 36,844
    • We have picked a terrible time to have the stupidest president ever 30,590

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.