Going for a ride in Vegas
The LV newspaper did a story that said a study from the prior year showed 22% or so of fares from the airport to the strip were being long-hauled. It's happening more and more. Most people don't know it, or don't get worked up over the $5-$10 difference, but I make it a point to say "Harrahs, by way of......" or whatever else anymore. It's there job to follow your wishes.
The LV newspaper did a story that said a study from the prior year showed 22% or so of fares from the airport to the strip were being long-hauled. It's happening more and more. Most people don't know it, or don't get worked up over the $5-$10 difference, but I make it a point to say "Harrahs, by way of......" or whatever else anymore. It's there job to follow your wishes.
It's mostly about the tunnel to the interstate from LAS instead of surface streets..Usually faster but extra $10 or more..
If the driver asks you 'Mind if I take the freeway"? He is long-hauling through the tunnel and you agreed in case he gets pulled over for it by the taxi authority who are checking nowadays.They will blame construction/traffic for initionally asking..
Seems in my experience in that first couple minutes you sit in the cab they evaluate you as far as tourist first timer or regular visitor..Friendly question after where are we going etc..
Any driver that does take the surface I tip and mention not taking the tunnel.If I get tunneled no tip.
Same on the way back to Mcarron..No reason to use the interstate at 5am..
If you do end up going through a tunnel leaving Mccarron you can refuse the fare at dropoff with a threat to call the taxi authority..They don't like that.
As far as longhauling around town as Crash mentions.well any price is worth it when you're not 100% sober and getting back to hotel safe and sound.
It's mostly about the tunnel to the interstate from LAS instead of surface streets..Usually faster but extra $10 or more..
If the driver asks you 'Mind if I take the freeway"? He is long-hauling through the tunnel and you agreed in case he gets pulled over for it by the taxi authority who are checking nowadays.They will blame construction/traffic for initionally asking..
Seems in my experience in that first couple minutes you sit in the cab they evaluate you as far as tourist first timer or regular visitor..Friendly question after where are we going etc..
Any driver that does take the surface I tip and mention not taking the tunnel.If I get tunneled no tip.
Same on the way back to Mcarron..No reason to use the interstate at 5am..
If you do end up going through a tunnel leaving Mccarron you can refuse the fare at dropoff with a threat to call the taxi authority..They don't like that.
As far as longhauling around town as Crash mentions.well any price is worth it when you're not 100% sober and getting back to hotel safe and sound.
https://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2013/4/29/133619/220/vegas-travel/Still+Being+Taken+For+A+Ride+By+Some+Vegas+Cab+Drivers
https://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2013/4/29/133619/220/vegas-travel/Still+Being+Taken+For+A+Ride+By+Some+Vegas+Cab+Drivers
I'm not justifying what some cabbie's do to make an extra buck. But just maybe he knows there's less traffic by going the longer way, certain times of the day !.. That would make the fare about even when you account for time, which is metered also. And it would free him up for the next customer.
What burns my butt.. is that some people will bellyache about saving a nickel. But don't understand business.
The old saying.. They gag on nat's, but swallow flies.
I'm not justifying what some cabbie's do to make an extra buck. But just maybe he knows there's less traffic by going the longer way, certain times of the day !.. That would make the fare about even when you account for time, which is metered also. And it would free him up for the next customer.
What burns my butt.. is that some people will bellyache about saving a nickel. But don't understand business.
The old saying.. They gag on nat's, but swallow flies.
The report I linked to above highlights 22% of the fare from the airport last year were long-hauled. That's a lot of stealing, and more than "just maybe he knows there's less traffic by going the longer way, certain times of the day."
The report I linked to above highlights 22% of the fare from the airport last year were long-hauled. That's a lot of stealing, and more than "just maybe he knows there's less traffic by going the longer way, certain times of the day."
It's also the cabbie's job, and THE LAW, to take the cheapest route, whether the time spent in the cab is slightly more or less. There are very few times of the day where traffic is so bad to justify taking the tunnel.
The report I linked to above highlights 22% of the fare from the airport last year were long-hauled. That's a lot of stealing, and more than "just maybe he knows there's less traffic by going the longer way, certain times of the day."
Some people you just can't get through too, always worried about pennies and think everyone is taking advantage of them. You are one such person.
Well, keep counting your pennies, maybe they'll add up to a million dollars by the time you're 90 years old.
( I would bet that you drive a foreign named vehicle.)
It's also the cabbie's job, and THE LAW, to take the cheapest route, whether the time spent in the cab is slightly more or less. There are very few times of the day where traffic is so bad to justify taking the tunnel.
The report I linked to above highlights 22% of the fare from the airport last year were long-hauled. That's a lot of stealing, and more than "just maybe he knows there's less traffic by going the longer way, certain times of the day."
Some people you just can't get through too, always worried about pennies and think everyone is taking advantage of them. You are one such person.
Well, keep counting your pennies, maybe they'll add up to a million dollars by the time you're 90 years old.
( I would bet that you drive a foreign named vehicle.)
I'm not a person who thinks everyone is out to get me. What I am is aware, and I read the facts as they're presented. What is presented is over $14 million stolen from tourists. I actually drive a Chevy Malibu, but thanks for asking.
I invite everyone here to stop by don_juan's house in Florida and grab a free $10 next time they're in town, since he's not worried about such small sums.
I'm not a person who thinks everyone is out to get me. What I am is aware, and I read the facts as they're presented. What is presented is over $14 million stolen from tourists. I actually drive a Chevy Malibu, but thanks for asking.
I invite everyone here to stop by don_juan's house in Florida and grab a free $10 next time they're in town, since he's not worried about such small sums.
If you went to a local pizza place, and ordered the standard large $10 pizza, and they tried to charge you $20 because "business was slow" that day, you wouldn't raise a few questions or mention something to your friends, or tell others to be aware? You'd just happily pay them the $20? It's the same thing as the long-hauling.
I'm just making people aware that it's a practice so they can easily prevent it - nothing wrong with that. Most people aren't aware of how many fares are actually long-hauled.
If you went to a local pizza place, and ordered the standard large $10 pizza, and they tried to charge you $20 because "business was slow" that day, you wouldn't raise a few questions or mention something to your friends, or tell others to be aware? You'd just happily pay them the $20? It's the same thing as the long-hauling.
I'm just making people aware that it's a practice so they can easily prevent it - nothing wrong with that. Most people aren't aware of how many fares are actually long-hauled.
Heinz57 My friend.. the pizza price is not a good analogy. If you were to say the local pizza charged me 10 bucks for a pepperoni pizza, and purposely left off the pepperoni's, I would agree. Reason being, is that you ate the pizza, similarly you got the Cab ride.
You could tell him Harrah's, by way of etc. Then the Cabbie would know that he's not getting more fares because it would take longer. And would know right away that he is not getting a decent tip, because you're the frugal type customer. I'm not trying to be rude to you, just telling you what he would be thinking.
I never had to drive a taxi for a living, BUT my beloved deceased father drove one for 25 years after he was injured. He raise a whole family on his income alone. He had 10 children, I was the eldest son. My mother didn't work.
He worked 6 days a week 12 hours a day. And 7 days a week before his one week vacation and Holiday's, to provide Christmas gifts for us.
So I know how tough it is to eek out a living. Not all cabbie's are out rip you off, just want you to be aware that they need a fast turn over of customers to survive out there.
Be well,
Heinz57 My friend.. the pizza price is not a good analogy. If you were to say the local pizza charged me 10 bucks for a pepperoni pizza, and purposely left off the pepperoni's, I would agree. Reason being, is that you ate the pizza, similarly you got the Cab ride.
You could tell him Harrah's, by way of etc. Then the Cabbie would know that he's not getting more fares because it would take longer. And would know right away that he is not getting a decent tip, because you're the frugal type customer. I'm not trying to be rude to you, just telling you what he would be thinking.
I never had to drive a taxi for a living, BUT my beloved deceased father drove one for 25 years after he was injured. He raise a whole family on his income alone. He had 10 children, I was the eldest son. My mother didn't work.
He worked 6 days a week 12 hours a day. And 7 days a week before his one week vacation and Holiday's, to provide Christmas gifts for us.
So I know how tough it is to eek out a living. Not all cabbie's are out rip you off, just want you to be aware that they need a fast turn over of customers to survive out there.
Be well,
Hey crash, what's BS?
https://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2013/4/29/133619/220/vegas-travel/Still+Being+Taken+For+A+Ride+By+Some+Vegas+Cab+Drivers
Hey crash, what's BS?
https://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2013/4/29/133619/220/vegas-travel/Still+Being+Taken+For+A+Ride+By+Some+Vegas+Cab+Drivers
Hot Forum Topics
- Claiming Prizes 57,673
- 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 457,347
- 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,053
- NFL LOCKED IN! 103,964
- NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,454
- ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 6,288
- Sunday nFl Wk 4 7,683
- MLB Playoffs 5,987
- Sunday 10/04/2026 556
- Breathtaking ....truly 36,309
Warning - External Link
Report User
This post is spam
Delete Post
Remove Thread
Scan Results
Login/Register
Accounts are free and easy to create.
Search
