Posted:
#1
I'm Not there
(Four and a Half out of Five Stars)
A wildly creative portrait of a wildly creative spirit, I’m Not There breaks almost every rule of storytelling much like the subject of the movie has done and moves with inspired bursts of artistry like a dance around the stage of imagination. This movie makes you want to be… makes you want to move… metaphysically and mentally and emotionally and literally and it is the first portrait of the amazing Bob Dylan that has ever been authorized. Why? Because it doesn’t try and ‘capture’ his spirit, rather it allows it to freely roam the celluloid and sneer at you with confident brilliance. In case you are one of the few who hasn’t heard, Dylan remains one of the single most influential, powerful, talented and liberated artists of any generation. He is almost ethereal to those who recognize his massive body of poetic intellect. Every movie needs a hero and it took the fine acting of six master thespians to portray accurately, yet with brilliant chaotic improvisation, the man who once wrote, “I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom.” I’m Not There is a still life set in motion by the musical genius of its muse and it is a fascinating endeavor. What a joy to watch!
