• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Steelers-Browns Picks
      • Week 4 Survivor Picks
      • NFL Week 4 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Poker

    Tom Dwan attempted bluff with 7 2 off...Does it work?

    scalabrine
    zooyorkinc
    Iw1nBets
    johnd412
    GOPHERNATION12
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 2880
    Posts: 25
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 22, 2011 - 3:28 PM ET #1

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtaAnS_uKVw

    Whether this bluff works or not, the moxy this guy has is 2nd to Ivey only....
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtaAnS_uKVw

    Whether this bluff works or not, the moxy this guy has is 2nd to Ivey only....
     
    zooyorkinc
    zooyorkinc
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2007
    Posts: 1438
    Posted: Jan. 22, 2011 - 10:24 PM ET #2

    so sick
    Reply
    so sick
     
    Iw1nBets
    Iw1nBets
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 58493
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2011 - 1:33 AM ET #3

    he def is a dif style of player
    Reply
    he def is a dif style of player
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 23, 2011 - 1:55 PM ET #4

    Quote Originally Posted by Iw1nBets:

    he def is a dif style of player

    And he influences MILLIONS of fish to play like him, at the benefit of experienced players...

    It is the biggest bluff in TV history with 72 off and has to rank amongst the biggest bluffs ever in the history of poker (obv. this could never be verified)
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Iw1nBets:

    he def is a dif style of player

    And he influences MILLIONS of fish to play like him, at the benefit of experienced players...

    It is the biggest bluff in TV history with 72 off and has to rank amongst the biggest bluffs ever in the history of poker (obv. this could never be verified)
     
    johnd412
    johnd412
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 20
    Posted: Jan. 26, 2011 - 5:40 PM ET #5

    yeah he is an insanely good poker player,... definitely one of the highest meta game players in the world
    Reply
    yeah he is an insanely good poker player,... definitely one of the highest meta game players in the world
     
    Iw1nBets
    Iw1nBets
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 58493
    Posted: Jan. 27, 2011 - 8:25 AM ET #6

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    And he influences MILLIONS of fish to play like him, at the benefit of experienced players...

    It is the biggest bluff in TV history with 72 off and has to rank amongst the biggest bluffs ever in the history of poker (obv. this could never be verified)

     

    Great point. And you know why its a great point. Because there is no teaching this. Its a feeling that one has thats even deeper then a intuition. There is only certain times to actually try and exploit someone like this. And yup you get fish thinkin anyone can do it at anytime. And most importantly of al.... during any size chip pot . mugs b willin to risk 10 times the pot just to steal a small stack of chips

    The true balance to no limit hold emm comes down to the oldest saying in the game honestly. Know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

    Along with you cant lose what you dont put in the pot. People will call 1.8 of there stack knowing that they are beat just to see one more card and then of course when there 4% chance doesnt hit they feel even more pot committed and continue this downward spiral.

    Thats why I love poker honestly...... its all the bad players out there that actually gives others a chance to profit avoiding bad beats of course

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    And he influences MILLIONS of fish to play like him, at the benefit of experienced players...

    It is the biggest bluff in TV history with 72 off and has to rank amongst the biggest bluffs ever in the history of poker (obv. this could never be verified)

     

    Great point. And you know why its a great point. Because there is no teaching this. Its a feeling that one has thats even deeper then a intuition. There is only certain times to actually try and exploit someone like this. And yup you get fish thinkin anyone can do it at anytime. And most importantly of al.... during any size chip pot . mugs b willin to risk 10 times the pot just to steal a small stack of chips

    The true balance to no limit hold emm comes down to the oldest saying in the game honestly. Know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

    Along with you cant lose what you dont put in the pot. People will call 1.8 of there stack knowing that they are beat just to see one more card and then of course when there 4% chance doesnt hit they feel even more pot committed and continue this downward spiral.

    Thats why I love poker honestly...... its all the bad players out there that actually gives others a chance to profit avoiding bad beats of course

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 27, 2011 - 12:34 PM ET #7

    Quote Originally Posted by Iw1nBets:

     

    Great point. And you know why its a great point. Because there is no teaching this. Its a feeling that one has thats even deeper then a intuition. There is only certain times to actually try and exploit someone like this. And yup you get fish thinkin anyone can do it at anytime. And most importantly of al.... during any size chip pot . mugs b willin to risk 10 times the pot just to steal a small stack of chips

    The true balance to no limit hold emm comes down to the oldest saying in the game honestly. Know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

    Along with you cant lose what you dont put in the pot. People will call 1.8 of there stack knowing that they are beat just to see one more card and then of course when there 4% chance doesnt hit they feel even more pot committed and continue this downward spiral.

    Thats why I love poker honestly...... its all the bad players out there that actually gives others a chance to profit avoiding bad beats of course


    Exactly.

    Poor players and even the greatest of pros, call the flop with a backdoor flush or gut-shot straight and think it's real sneaky because they see heavily edited poker programs in which Ivey, Antonious, and Negraneau hit these money cards and bust another player for $100K plus...because no one can put them on that hand...

    Why do they call the flop with 8% probability? Because usually you have a little under half the deck to bring in a backdoor flush, straight, pair, or bluff card to play...

    Therefore you habitually justify your calls on each street making it more and more expensive with card...

    At this point of course, you are priced in through pot odds...and it is the correct to call and continue with the hand...

    The mistake came (and again top pros do this all the time) is calling with these ridiculously improbable draws on the flop!

    The point of all this?

    DON'T PRICE YOURSELF IN ON THE FLOP unless you are so deep-stacked you are ready to three-barrel your opponent on the river with a sneaky bluff when your card doesn't hit...

    Just know that your opponent will know it's sneaky and you should have just checked if you have anything, and you will probably get called...

    Therefore, your improbable draw better hit or your are up the creek without a paddle!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Iw1nBets:

     

    Great point. And you know why its a great point. Because there is no teaching this. Its a feeling that one has thats even deeper then a intuition. There is only certain times to actually try and exploit someone like this. And yup you get fish thinkin anyone can do it at anytime. And most importantly of al.... during any size chip pot . mugs b willin to risk 10 times the pot just to steal a small stack of chips

    The true balance to no limit hold emm comes down to the oldest saying in the game honestly. Know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

    Along with you cant lose what you dont put in the pot. People will call 1.8 of there stack knowing that they are beat just to see one more card and then of course when there 4% chance doesnt hit they feel even more pot committed and continue this downward spiral.

    Thats why I love poker honestly...... its all the bad players out there that actually gives others a chance to profit avoiding bad beats of course


    Exactly.

    Poor players and even the greatest of pros, call the flop with a backdoor flush or gut-shot straight and think it's real sneaky because they see heavily edited poker programs in which Ivey, Antonious, and Negraneau hit these money cards and bust another player for $100K plus...because no one can put them on that hand...

    Why do they call the flop with 8% probability? Because usually you have a little under half the deck to bring in a backdoor flush, straight, pair, or bluff card to play...

    Therefore you habitually justify your calls on each street making it more and more expensive with card...

    At this point of course, you are priced in through pot odds...and it is the correct to call and continue with the hand...

    The mistake came (and again top pros do this all the time) is calling with these ridiculously improbable draws on the flop!

    The point of all this?

    DON'T PRICE YOURSELF IN ON THE FLOP unless you are so deep-stacked you are ready to three-barrel your opponent on the river with a sneaky bluff when your card doesn't hit...

    Just know that your opponent will know it's sneaky and you should have just checked if you have anything, and you will probably get called...

    Therefore, your improbable draw better hit or your are up the creek without a paddle!
     
    Iw1nBets
    Iw1nBets
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 58493
    Posted: Jan. 28, 2011 - 3:46 AM ET #8

    Hell yes Ill be the first to say that these so called pros think they can play any 2 cards just because there pros. Its actually entertainment to watch. And like you said The heavy editing that no one seems to realize like there really showing hand by hand
    Reply
    Hell yes Ill be the first to say that these so called pros think they can play any 2 cards just because there pros. Its actually entertainment to watch. And like you said The heavy editing that no one seems to realize like there really showing hand by hand
     
    GOPHERNATION12
    GOPHERNATION12
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2010
    Posts: 3353
    Posted: Jan. 28, 2011 - 11:25 AM ET #9

    I have tried it 3 times in thousands of hands played and we're talking only pots maybe $400-$600 max and moved the player off them twice but looked like a complete moron when I didn't.
    Reply
    I have tried it 3 times in thousands of hands played and we're talking only pots maybe $400-$600 max and moved the player off them twice but looked like a complete moron when I didn't.
     
    GOPHERNATION12
    GOPHERNATION12
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2010
    Posts: 3353
    Posted: Jan. 28, 2011 - 11:50 AM ET #10

    Holy crap, that was sick, sick, sick.!

    My loss at that bluff came when he flopped Qs and 9s.

    I would say you have to call there but played a hand similar where I flopped a straight and he hit flush on turn and I called an all in because he was raising pre-flop so had him on pocket pair with set on the turn, but he had the Ks 7s.
    Reply
    Holy crap, that was sick, sick, sick.!

    My loss at that bluff came when he flopped Qs and 9s.

    I would say you have to call there but played a hand similar where I flopped a straight and he hit flush on turn and I called an all in because he was raising pre-flop so had him on pocket pair with set on the turn, but he had the Ks 7s.
     
    depeche2
    depeche2
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2002
    Posts: 67006
    Posted: Jan. 28, 2011 - 4:37 PM ET #11

    Durrr looked like a mummy.  Sammy should have been able to read the fright in his face.

    Man, I remember I used play against durrr all the time at Full Tilt several years ago.
    Reply
    Durrr looked like a mummy.  Sammy should have been able to read the fright in his face.

    Man, I remember I used play against durrr all the time at Full Tilt several years ago.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 29, 2011 - 9:01 AM ET #12

    Quote Originally Posted by depeche2:

    Durrr looked like a mummy.  Sammy should have been able to read the fright in his face.

    Man, I remember I used play against durrr all the time at Full Tilt several years ago.

    What were the table limits and how fast did you see him move up in stakes (if you were even concerned)...
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche2:

    Durrr looked like a mummy.  Sammy should have been able to read the fright in his face.

    Man, I remember I used play against durrr all the time at Full Tilt several years ago.

    What were the table limits and how fast did you see him move up in stakes (if you were even concerned)...
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 29, 2011 - 9:03 AM ET #13

    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHERNATION12:

    I have tried it 3 times in thousands of hands played and we're talking only pots maybe $400-$600 max and moved the player off them twice but looked like a complete moron when I didn't.

    Right...and the problem is, you probably scooped $500 with the two bluffs but lost $1k with third bluff...

    that's the problem

    One bluff doesn't do the trick...

    You have to CONSISTENTLY win by bluffing with 7 2 to make it +EV and therefore justify playing it in the first place..

    VERY hard to do...
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHERNATION12:

    I have tried it 3 times in thousands of hands played and we're talking only pots maybe $400-$600 max and moved the player off them twice but looked like a complete moron when I didn't.

    Right...and the problem is, you probably scooped $500 with the two bluffs but lost $1k with third bluff...

    that's the problem

    One bluff doesn't do the trick...

    You have to CONSISTENTLY win by bluffing with 7 2 to make it +EV and therefore justify playing it in the first place..

    VERY hard to do...
     
    Iw1nBets
    Iw1nBets
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 58493
    Posted: Jan. 29, 2011 - 10:49 AM ET #14

    timely bluffing may be one of the most important advanced moves you can make in texas hold emm nl
    Reply
    timely bluffing may be one of the most important advanced moves you can make in texas hold emm nl
     
    Iw1nBets
    Iw1nBets
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 58493
    Posted: Jan. 29, 2011 - 10:49 AM ET #15

    I like timely aggression in nl personally
    Reply
    I like timely aggression in nl personally
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 29, 2011 - 11:58 AM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by Iw1nBets:

    I like timely aggression in nl personally

    That is why you have to play NL and why NL transformed the game of poker...

    Before Moneymaker, poker rooms were mainly limit...

    No bluffing in limit...

    Pot odds dictate you should call every street...

    with 10-1 and upwards of 25-1 for a river card, two outers are even justifiable!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Iw1nBets:

    I like timely aggression in nl personally

    That is why you have to play NL and why NL transformed the game of poker...

    Before Moneymaker, poker rooms were mainly limit...

    No bluffing in limit...

    Pot odds dictate you should call every street...

    with 10-1 and upwards of 25-1 for a river card, two outers are even justifiable!
     
    depeche2
    depeche2
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2002
    Posts: 67006
    Posted: Jan. 29, 2011 - 11:22 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    What were the table limits and how fast did you see him move up in stakes (if you were even concerned)...


    Mainly 20/40 and 30/60 NL cash games.  Up to 10K buyins I believe.  Plenty of 20K pots.  Nuts.  A lot of pros in there.  Juanda, Matusow, a bunch of others.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    What were the table limits and how fast did you see him move up in stakes (if you were even concerned)...


    Mainly 20/40 and 30/60 NL cash games.  Up to 10K buyins I believe.  Plenty of 20K pots.  Nuts.  A lot of pros in there.  Juanda, Matusow, a bunch of others.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 30, 2011 - 1:32 AM ET #18

    Quote Originally Posted by depeche2:



    Mainly 20/40 and 30/60 NL cash games.  Up to 10K buyins I believe.  Plenty of 20K pots.  Nuts.  A lot of pros in there.  Juanda, Matusow, a bunch of others.

    30/60 is ridiculous now and moreso when he was coming up 

    what were your top limits playing with him...

    You play 20/40 NL? 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche2:



    Mainly 20/40 and 30/60 NL cash games.  Up to 10K buyins I believe.  Plenty of 20K pots.  Nuts.  A lot of pros in there.  Juanda, Matusow, a bunch of others.

    30/60 is ridiculous now and moreso when he was coming up 

    what were your top limits playing with him...

    You play 20/40 NL? 
     
    Iw1nBets
    Iw1nBets
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 58493
    Posted: Jan. 30, 2011 - 5:42 AM ET #19

    Matusow cant in all honesty be classified as a "pro" poker player
    Reply
    Matusow cant in all honesty be classified as a "pro" poker player
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Jan. 30, 2011 - 12:19 PM ET #20

    Quote Originally Posted by Iw1nBets:

    Matusow cant in all honesty be classified as a "pro" poker player


    I know. 

    I watch virtually all TV poker and I know it is heavily edited but Matasow is just atrocious. 

    Pot odds, basic strategy, calling with gutshots, obvious tells, playing super tight against other top pros...He's unbelievably predictable..

    I'm a low limit player and will never be much more than that but I can critically assess Matasow's play as on observer with experience at the game and I am in agreement...

    I can't see how you label this guy a 'pro'!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Iw1nBets:

    Matusow cant in all honesty be classified as a "pro" poker player


    I know. 

    I watch virtually all TV poker and I know it is heavily edited but Matasow is just atrocious. 

    Pot odds, basic strategy, calling with gutshots, obvious tells, playing super tight against other top pros...He's unbelievably predictable..

    I'm a low limit player and will never be much more than that but I can critically assess Matasow's play as on observer with experience at the game and I am in agreement...

    I can't see how you label this guy a 'pro'!
     
    Iw1nBets
    Iw1nBets
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 58493
    Posted: Jan. 30, 2011 - 3:10 PM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:



    I know. 

    I watch virtually all TV poker and I know it is heavily edited but Matasow is just atrocious. 

    Pot odds, basic strategy, calling with gutshots, obvious tells, playing super tight against other top pros...He's unbelievably predictable..

    I'm a low limit player and will never be much more than that but I can critically assess Matasow's play as on observer with experience at the game and I am in agreement...

    I can't see how you label this guy a 'pro'!

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:



    I know. 

    I watch virtually all TV poker and I know it is heavily edited but Matasow is just atrocious. 

    Pot odds, basic strategy, calling with gutshots, obvious tells, playing super tight against other top pros...He's unbelievably predictable..

    I'm a low limit player and will never be much more than that but I can critically assess Matasow's play as on observer with experience at the game and I am in agreement...

    I can't see how you label this guy a 'pro'!

     

     
    depeche2
    depeche2
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2002
    Posts: 67006
    Posted: Jan. 31, 2011 - 12:09 AM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    30/60 is ridiculous now and moreso when he was coming up 

    what were your top limits playing with him...

    You play 20/40 NL? 


    It was kinda ridiculous.  Not sure what you mean about top limits.  The max buyins were 10k I believe, so yeah, there were regular all-in head to head hands with 20k on the line.  Won some, lost some.  I still do remember one hand where I got bluffed bad by Matusow.  I also remember another losing a 20K pot to a 1-outer on the river.  Sick.  I don't remember that much more specifically.  I threw like 1K into FT and built that up wining SnG's.  I just sort of gradually upped my level until I was playing that 20/40 and 30/60.  So I built the 1k into like 10 or 15 and then I played those high limit tables and had a good run and built it up to over 100.  But then I got beat up and fell to like 20 and said screw it, I'm gonna cash a winner here.  I think I played the 30/60's just for a few weeks regularly.

    I don't play FT or any online poker anymore.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    30/60 is ridiculous now and moreso when he was coming up 

    what were your top limits playing with him...

    You play 20/40 NL? 


    It was kinda ridiculous.  Not sure what you mean about top limits.  The max buyins were 10k I believe, so yeah, there were regular all-in head to head hands with 20k on the line.  Won some, lost some.  I still do remember one hand where I got bluffed bad by Matusow.  I also remember another losing a 20K pot to a 1-outer on the river.  Sick.  I don't remember that much more specifically.  I threw like 1K into FT and built that up wining SnG's.  I just sort of gradually upped my level until I was playing that 20/40 and 30/60.  So I built the 1k into like 10 or 15 and then I played those high limit tables and had a good run and built it up to over 100.  But then I got beat up and fell to like 20 and said screw it, I'm gonna cash a winner here.  I think I played the 30/60's just for a few weeks regularly.

    I don't play FT or any online poker anymore.
     
    SashimiKid
    SashimiKid
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 2090
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2011 - 3:47 AM ET #23

    Quote Originally Posted by Iw1nBets:

     

    Matusow is a highly talented tournament player,however he is not a cash game player, much like Hellmuth. You can reload in a cash game, not so in a tournament and Matty seems much more comfortable in the tourney setup. I would back the guy in a 2k tourney in a hearbeat but wouldnt give him a dime in a cash game.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Iw1nBets:

     

    Matusow is a highly talented tournament player,however he is not a cash game player, much like Hellmuth. You can reload in a cash game, not so in a tournament and Matty seems much more comfortable in the tourney setup. I would back the guy in a 2k tourney in a hearbeat but wouldnt give him a dime in a cash game.

     
    K4ngur13
    K4ngur13
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2009
    Posts: 26212
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2011 - 11:40 PM ET #24

    Well played.  Pretty sick.
    Reply
    Well played.  Pretty sick.
     
     
    Iw1nBets
    Iw1nBets
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 58493
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2011 - 11:48 AM ET #25

    Quote Originally Posted by K4ngur13:

    Well played.  Pretty sick.

     

    Havent seen you around lately. How ya doing

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by K4ngur13:

    Well played.  Pretty sick.

     

    Havent seen you around lately. How ya doing

    All Forums | Poker

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 450,725
    • Serious Streak Survivor Strategies 1,918,196
    • Monday 09/28/2026 816
    • Eagles vs Bears in-game live MNF 2,830
    • PART DEUX 280
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,288
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,006
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 102,469
    • Eagles@Bears discussion 3,699
    • ?? KBO Plays 🥎 15,485

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.