• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Government Assistance....It Blows My Mind How Many People "Need" It

    123 Next Last»
    ad1260
    dl36
    thorpe
    I_Need_A_Detox
    gold6185
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 2951
    Posts: 51
    123 Next Last»
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 3:46 AM ET #1

    Maybe I am just venting. But I am a server (yes, I will have an official bachelors degree as soon as I finish my last 2 classes this semester). BUT as of now I do NOT have that degree but easily make 300 bucks a week and more as a server working PART TIME at a steakhouse. I had never had server experience and was hired...I mean I work with a couple whom are married and have a child and each make about 500 bucks a week without degrees. I understand what welfare is and what it is used for, but just can't digest the number of ppl on it and that abuse it. YES, I realized there have many numerous threads about this before but Jesus man, c'mon, why do people stand on the corner asking for money? I pass people on the corner every day begging...why not just try and do what I do? OR just try and get a gig on the grill making shitty money buy enough to live on? Thats what the 5-6 illegal aliens do at my work do with children. Really makes me said, sick, depressed even thinking about it. Getting a job really isn't that hard. Just gotta man up and actually commit to doing some fucking work. My mom and dad taught me the fiber of handwork and earning my keep at a young age but am still blessed to have them help me out here and there. But why can't these folks get it through there heads? It's not because there isn't any work to be had....its that they just don't want to do it for 400 bucks a week. Everyone says there aren't any jobs...bullshit. There are jobs, there may not be countless amounts of 75k a year jobs, but jobs are out there. Wake up folks. I just don't see how standing on the corner telling us you are homeless and unemployed when our restaurant down the street is hiring. TRY A LITTLE BIT. Sorry for my ranting and raving but I just find it ridiculous....bash me or agree with me, I really don't care. America just needs to wake up and people need to quit feeling sorry for themselves. 
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    Maybe I am just venting. But I am a server (yes, I will have an official bachelors degree as soon as I finish my last 2 classes this semester). BUT as of now I do NOT have that degree but easily make 300 bucks a week and more as a server working PART TIME at a steakhouse. I had never had server experience and was hired...I mean I work with a couple whom are married and have a child and each make about 500 bucks a week without degrees. I understand what welfare is and what it is used for, but just can't digest the number of ppl on it and that abuse it. YES, I realized there have many numerous threads about this before but Jesus man, c'mon, why do people stand on the corner asking for money? I pass people on the corner every day begging...why not just try and do what I do? OR just try and get a gig on the grill making shitty money buy enough to live on? Thats what the 5-6 illegal aliens do at my work do with children. Really makes me said, sick, depressed even thinking about it. Getting a job really isn't that hard. Just gotta man up and actually commit to doing some fucking work. My mom and dad taught me the fiber of handwork and earning my keep at a young age but am still blessed to have them help me out here and there. But why can't these folks get it through there heads? It's not because there isn't any work to be had....its that they just don't want to do it for 400 bucks a week. Everyone says there aren't any jobs...bullshit. There are jobs, there may not be countless amounts of 75k a year jobs, but jobs are out there. Wake up folks. I just don't see how standing on the corner telling us you are homeless and unemployed when our restaurant down the street is hiring. TRY A LITTLE BIT. Sorry for my ranting and raving but I just find it ridiculous....bash me or agree with me, I really don't care. America just needs to wake up and people need to quit feeling sorry for themselves. 
     
    dl36
    dl36
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2003
    Posts: 27850
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 4:48 AM ET #2

    server is a fun lifestyle in the beginning, especially with tips... and Im guessing you work at a better steak house then an outback...

    but eventually if you do it long enough it will wear on you...  that type of job of customer service with tip expected/earned/taken away...

    unemployment is actually very advantageous to some.... and in ways that you might not think of
    Reply
    server is a fun lifestyle in the beginning, especially with tips... and Im guessing you work at a better steak house then an outback...

    but eventually if you do it long enough it will wear on you...  that type of job of customer service with tip expected/earned/taken away...

    unemployment is actually very advantageous to some.... and in ways that you might not think of
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 4:59 AM ET #3

    Yeah you are probably right...I am about to officially get my degree in May from Texas State University but like I have mentioned before, I am trying to teach English in Korea for a year but making 24k a year but most my expenses paid for but thats neither here nor there. 

    I guess it comes down to pride...who wants to live on unemployment? It is advantageous to those with 5 kids and have never had a real job, I mean if you have kids and can't support them and had them knowing so, then you just suck in my book. Who really wants to have help pay for their kids to eat and pay their bills? I hope the answer is NO ONE but sadly, I know that is not the case. But those folks will live in misery forever so I am not too worried about it. 
    I mean, if you want to suck forever, thats your business, ya know? 
    Reply
    Yeah you are probably right...I am about to officially get my degree in May from Texas State University but like I have mentioned before, I am trying to teach English in Korea for a year but making 24k a year but most my expenses paid for but thats neither here nor there. 

    I guess it comes down to pride...who wants to live on unemployment? It is advantageous to those with 5 kids and have never had a real job, I mean if you have kids and can't support them and had them knowing so, then you just suck in my book. Who really wants to have help pay for their kids to eat and pay their bills? I hope the answer is NO ONE but sadly, I know that is not the case. But those folks will live in misery forever so I am not too worried about it. 
    I mean, if you want to suck forever, thats your business, ya know? 
     
    dl36
    dl36
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2003
    Posts: 27850
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 5:36 AM ET #4

    teaching english in a foreign country is worth it in terms of the experience... it is another job that you do for a while, and if you can be a server you can teach the language you know...  plus the students are way better behaved then americans...

    Unemployment is also advantageous because of an increase in people having to work service type jobs because there are more people competing for real jobs... which then decreases their over all pay and results in the those being served having to pay less to those who serve them...

    I enjoy dining out

    Reply
    teaching english in a foreign country is worth it in terms of the experience... it is another job that you do for a while, and if you can be a server you can teach the language you know...  plus the students are way better behaved then americans...

    Unemployment is also advantageous because of an increase in people having to work service type jobs because there are more people competing for real jobs... which then decreases their over all pay and results in the those being served having to pay less to those who serve them...

    I enjoy dining out

     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 5:47 AM ET #5

    That is what i am aiming for..the experience, and the ability to travel. I am not condescending anybody in the service industry. I have great respect for everyone in the service (i am in it now my self). Once again it comes down to pride. But I am referring to those that refuse to work in the service industry and take unemployment because they refuse to work in the service industry. IDK maybe its just me, but id rather work in the service industry and make less than I would if I was on unemployment, I have better morals and ethics than such. It really chaps my ass to see people that are on unemployment and bitching about politics or our political leaders. To me, it simply comes down to the fact----if you can work then do it. Don't sit on your ass and collect unemployment if it can't be avoided. Its more or less about character, not necessarily about $. Does that make any sense? 
    Reply
    That is what i am aiming for..the experience, and the ability to travel. I am not condescending anybody in the service industry. I have great respect for everyone in the service (i am in it now my self). Once again it comes down to pride. But I am referring to those that refuse to work in the service industry and take unemployment because they refuse to work in the service industry. IDK maybe its just me, but id rather work in the service industry and make less than I would if I was on unemployment, I have better morals and ethics than such. It really chaps my ass to see people that are on unemployment and bitching about politics or our political leaders. To me, it simply comes down to the fact----if you can work then do it. Don't sit on your ass and collect unemployment if it can't be avoided. Its more or less about character, not necessarily about $. Does that make any sense? 
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 5:48 AM ET #6

    Not to mention those taking unemployment that truly don't need it...are just hurting their peers that are earning their keep (mind you the hurting may be little and unnoticeable, its all about principle).
    Reply
    Not to mention those taking unemployment that truly don't need it...are just hurting their peers that are earning their keep (mind you the hurting may be little and unnoticeable, its all about principle).
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 5:49 AM ET #7

    CAN*** be avoided
    Reply
    CAN*** be avoided
     
    thorpe
    thorpe
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 12927
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 11:31 AM ET #8

    Unemployment is not Government Assistance.  It is insurance.  While you are working, you pay into the Unemployment fund, and if you lose your job (without being fired) you can collect money from the fund.  Not collecting money from the fund would be like having health insurance, but not using it when you go to the hospital. 

    If you have a problem with anyone, it should be with the government for extending the amount of time someone can be on unemployment.


    Reply
    Unemployment is not Government Assistance.  It is insurance.  While you are working, you pay into the Unemployment fund, and if you lose your job (without being fired) you can collect money from the fund.  Not collecting money from the fund would be like having health insurance, but not using it when you go to the hospital. 

    If you have a problem with anyone, it should be with the government for extending the amount of time someone can be on unemployment.


     
    I_Need_A_Detox
    I_Need_A_Detox
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 27139
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 11:57 AM ET #9

    I worked for a Housing Authority and had a few tenants that were on gov't programs ... 

    They don't get the help that they need from the case workers. I was the one showing my tenants how to set up a bank account, I even brought them over some diapers, food etc before. 

    Most of them want to be self supporting but they don't know how. No car, no license, no education, broken english, 23 years old, 4 kids under 6, 3 baby daddies, no child support ... 

    What career options does she^ have? The system needs to focus on her kids and make sure that they can be self supporting when it comes their time. These programs usually just get passed down from generation to generation. 

    Reply
    I worked for a Housing Authority and had a few tenants that were on gov't programs ... 

    They don't get the help that they need from the case workers. I was the one showing my tenants how to set up a bank account, I even brought them over some diapers, food etc before. 

    Most of them want to be self supporting but they don't know how. No car, no license, no education, broken english, 23 years old, 4 kids under 6, 3 baby daddies, no child support ... 

    What career options does she^ have? The system needs to focus on her kids and make sure that they can be self supporting when it comes their time. These programs usually just get passed down from generation to generation. 

     
    gold6185
    gold6185
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 1168
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 12:13 PM ET #10

    Quote Originally Posted by ad1260:

    Not to mention those taking unemployment that truly don't need it...are just hurting their peers that are earning their keep (mind you the hurting may be little and unnoticeable, its all about principle).
    I agree 100%. Unemployment years ago used to be a temporary safety net for laid off workers. Now it's become a way of life for certain people who have the ability to get off their asses & do some type of work-but often times are lazy. Enough is enough with all the government handouts already. Govenment handouts breed laziness.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ad1260:

    Not to mention those taking unemployment that truly don't need it...are just hurting their peers that are earning their keep (mind you the hurting may be little and unnoticeable, its all about principle).
    I agree 100%. Unemployment years ago used to be a temporary safety net for laid off workers. Now it's become a way of life for certain people who have the ability to get off their asses & do some type of work-but often times are lazy. Enough is enough with all the government handouts already. Govenment handouts breed laziness.
     
    Biscuiteater1
    Biscuiteater1
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2011
    Posts: 33085
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 12:33 PM ET #11

    Quote Originally Posted by gold6185:

    I agree 100%. Unemployment years ago used to be a temporary safety net for laid off workers. Now it's become a way of life for certain people who have the ability to get off their asses & do some type of work-but often times are lazy. Enough is enough with all the government handouts already. Govenment handouts breed laziness.
    a way of life for 52 weeks and they are living like kings. lol
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by gold6185:

    I agree 100%. Unemployment years ago used to be a temporary safety net for laid off workers. Now it's become a way of life for certain people who have the ability to get off their asses & do some type of work-but often times are lazy. Enough is enough with all the government handouts already. Govenment handouts breed laziness.
    a way of life for 52 weeks and they are living like kings. lol
     
    potter36
    potter36
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2009
    Posts: 854
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 12:56 PM ET #12

    Quote Originally Posted by ad1260:

    Maybe I am just venting. But I am a server (yes, I will have an official bachelors degree as soon as I finish my last 2 classes this semester). BUT as of now I do NOT have that degree but easily make 300 bucks a week and more as a server working PART TIME at a steakhouse. I had never had server experience and was hired...I mean I work with a couple whom are married and have a child and each make about 500 bucks a week without degrees. I understand what welfare is and what it is used for, but just can't digest the number of ppl on it and that abuse it. YES, I realized there have many numerous threads about this before but Jesus man, c'mon, why do people stand on the corner asking for money? I pass people on the corner every day begging...why not just try and do what I do? OR just try and get a gig on the grill making shitty money buy enough to live on? Thats what the 5-6 illegal aliens do at my work do with children. Really makes me said, sick, depressed even thinking about it. Getting a job really isn't that hard. Just gotta man up and actually commit to doing some fucking work. My mom and dad taught me the fiber of handwork and earning my keep at a young age but am still blessed to have them help me out here and there. But why can't these folks get it through there heads? It's not because there isn't any work to be had....its that they just don't want to do it for 400 bucks a week. Everyone says there aren't any jobs...bullshit. There are jobs, there may not be countless amounts of 75k a year jobs, but jobs are out there. Wake up folks. I just don't see how standing on the corner telling us you are homeless and unemployed when our restaurant down the street is hiring. TRY A LITTLE BIT. Sorry for my ranting and raving but I just find it ridiculous....bash me or agree with me, I really don't care. America just needs to wake up and people need to quit feeling sorry for themselves. 
     Good to see some ambition left and people not afraid to do what it takes to get there.  Texas State?  I spent some time in San Marcos some years back........the chicas there are
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ad1260:

    Maybe I am just venting. But I am a server (yes, I will have an official bachelors degree as soon as I finish my last 2 classes this semester). BUT as of now I do NOT have that degree but easily make 300 bucks a week and more as a server working PART TIME at a steakhouse. I had never had server experience and was hired...I mean I work with a couple whom are married and have a child and each make about 500 bucks a week without degrees. I understand what welfare is and what it is used for, but just can't digest the number of ppl on it and that abuse it. YES, I realized there have many numerous threads about this before but Jesus man, c'mon, why do people stand on the corner asking for money? I pass people on the corner every day begging...why not just try and do what I do? OR just try and get a gig on the grill making shitty money buy enough to live on? Thats what the 5-6 illegal aliens do at my work do with children. Really makes me said, sick, depressed even thinking about it. Getting a job really isn't that hard. Just gotta man up and actually commit to doing some fucking work. My mom and dad taught me the fiber of handwork and earning my keep at a young age but am still blessed to have them help me out here and there. But why can't these folks get it through there heads? It's not because there isn't any work to be had....its that they just don't want to do it for 400 bucks a week. Everyone says there aren't any jobs...bullshit. There are jobs, there may not be countless amounts of 75k a year jobs, but jobs are out there. Wake up folks. I just don't see how standing on the corner telling us you are homeless and unemployed when our restaurant down the street is hiring. TRY A LITTLE BIT. Sorry for my ranting and raving but I just find it ridiculous....bash me or agree with me, I really don't care. America just needs to wake up and people need to quit feeling sorry for themselves. 
     Good to see some ambition left and people not afraid to do what it takes to get there.  Texas State?  I spent some time in San Marcos some years back........the chicas there are
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 1:03 PM ET #13

    Quote Originally Posted by ad1260:

    Maybe I am just venting. But I am a server (yes, I will have an official bachelors degree as soon as I finish my last 2 classes this semester). BUT as of now I do NOT have that degree but easily make 300 bucks a week and more as a server working PART TIME at a steakhouse. I had never had server experience and was hired...I mean I work with a couple whom are married and have a child and each make about 500 bucks a week without degrees. I understand what welfare is and what it is used for, but just can't digest the number of ppl on it and that abuse it. YES, I realized there have many numerous threads about this before but Jesus man, c'mon, why do people stand on the corner asking for money? I pass people on the corner every day begging...why not just try and do what I do? OR just try and get a gig on the grill making shitty money buy enough to live on? Thats what the 5-6 illegal aliens do at my work do with children. Really makes me said, sick, depressed even thinking about it. Getting a job really isn't that hard. Just gotta man up and actually commit to doing some fucking work. My mom and dad taught me the fiber of handwork and earning my keep at a young age but am still blessed to have them help me out here and there. But why can't these folks get it through there heads? It's not because there isn't any work to be had....its that they just don't want to do it for 400 bucks a week. Everyone says there aren't any jobs...bullshit. There are jobs, there may not be countless amounts of 75k a year jobs, but jobs are out there. Wake up folks. I just don't see how standing on the corner telling us you are homeless and unemployed when our restaurant down the street is hiring. TRY A LITTLE BIT. Sorry for my ranting and raving but I just find it ridiculous....bash me or agree with me, I really don't care. America just needs to wake up and people need to quit feeling sorry for themselves. 


    This issue has been endlessly beaten into the ground, most recently in the "food stamps" thread.

    You haven't presented a single original viewpoint compared to what has been recently written on this site and everywhere on the internet in general.

    "Try a little bit" - What the fuck does that mean? There is a 8+% unemployment rate which is more than doubled as a real unemployment rate. Why do you think employment exists? Trying won't get you a job when for 16% of the population, they don't exist.
    No Try harder! Or, create your own job! What kind of mentality is this? Are these people supposed to pray over some magic 8-ball to get a job? Why don't you be the job creator.

    Take your job, make your money and worry about yourself.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ad1260:

    Maybe I am just venting. But I am a server (yes, I will have an official bachelors degree as soon as I finish my last 2 classes this semester). BUT as of now I do NOT have that degree but easily make 300 bucks a week and more as a server working PART TIME at a steakhouse. I had never had server experience and was hired...I mean I work with a couple whom are married and have a child and each make about 500 bucks a week without degrees. I understand what welfare is and what it is used for, but just can't digest the number of ppl on it and that abuse it. YES, I realized there have many numerous threads about this before but Jesus man, c'mon, why do people stand on the corner asking for money? I pass people on the corner every day begging...why not just try and do what I do? OR just try and get a gig on the grill making shitty money buy enough to live on? Thats what the 5-6 illegal aliens do at my work do with children. Really makes me said, sick, depressed even thinking about it. Getting a job really isn't that hard. Just gotta man up and actually commit to doing some fucking work. My mom and dad taught me the fiber of handwork and earning my keep at a young age but am still blessed to have them help me out here and there. But why can't these folks get it through there heads? It's not because there isn't any work to be had....its that they just don't want to do it for 400 bucks a week. Everyone says there aren't any jobs...bullshit. There are jobs, there may not be countless amounts of 75k a year jobs, but jobs are out there. Wake up folks. I just don't see how standing on the corner telling us you are homeless and unemployed when our restaurant down the street is hiring. TRY A LITTLE BIT. Sorry for my ranting and raving but I just find it ridiculous....bash me or agree with me, I really don't care. America just needs to wake up and people need to quit feeling sorry for themselves. 


    This issue has been endlessly beaten into the ground, most recently in the "food stamps" thread.

    You haven't presented a single original viewpoint compared to what has been recently written on this site and everywhere on the internet in general.

    "Try a little bit" - What the fuck does that mean? There is a 8+% unemployment rate which is more than doubled as a real unemployment rate. Why do you think employment exists? Trying won't get you a job when for 16% of the population, they don't exist.
    No Try harder! Or, create your own job! What kind of mentality is this? Are these people supposed to pray over some magic 8-ball to get a job? Why don't you be the job creator.

    Take your job, make your money and worry about yourself.
     
    Randisist
    Randisist
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 3158
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 1:47 PM ET #14

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    This issue has been endlessly beaten into the ground, most recently in the "food stamps" thread.

    You haven't presented a single original viewpoint compared to what has been recently written on this site and everywhere on the internet in general.

    "Try a little bit" - What the fuck does that mean? There is a 8+% unemployment rate which is more than doubled as a real unemployment rate. Why do you think employment exists? Trying won't get you a job when for 16% of the population, they don't exist.
    No Try harder! Or, create your own job! What kind of mentality is this? Are these people supposed to pray over some magic 8-ball to get a job? Why don't you be the job creator.

    Take your job, make your money and worry about yourself.



     You actually wrote the above quote!?!?!? REALLY!!!! YOU of all the people who post here are ragging on someone for NOT presenting an original viewpoint!!! REALLY!!!!

    How about YOU show us an original view point BEFORE calling someone out for writing the same tired crap over and over???
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    This issue has been endlessly beaten into the ground, most recently in the "food stamps" thread.

    You haven't presented a single original viewpoint compared to what has been recently written on this site and everywhere on the internet in general.

    "Try a little bit" - What the fuck does that mean? There is a 8+% unemployment rate which is more than doubled as a real unemployment rate. Why do you think employment exists? Trying won't get you a job when for 16% of the population, they don't exist.
    No Try harder! Or, create your own job! What kind of mentality is this? Are these people supposed to pray over some magic 8-ball to get a job? Why don't you be the job creator.

    Take your job, make your money and worry about yourself.



     You actually wrote the above quote!?!?!? REALLY!!!! YOU of all the people who post here are ragging on someone for NOT presenting an original viewpoint!!! REALLY!!!!

    How about YOU show us an original view point BEFORE calling someone out for writing the same tired crap over and over???
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 1:59 PM ET #15

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:



    This issue has been endlessly beaten into the ground, most recently in the "food stamps" thread.

    You haven't presented a single original viewpoint compared to what has been recently written on this site and everywhere on the internet in general.

    "Try a little bit" - What the fuck does that mean? There is a 8+% unemployment rate which is more than doubled as a real unemployment rate. Why do you think employment exists? Trying won't get you a job when for 16% of the population, they don't exist.
    No Try harder! Or, create your own job! What kind of mentality is this? Are these people supposed to pray over some magic 8-ball to get a job? Why don't you be the job creator.

    Take your job, make your money and worry about yourself.

    Like the first sentence of my original post says, "maybe I am just venting."

    Also, I realize that the issue was beaten in to the ground in the "food stamps thread". I just wanted to go on a little rant (I don't do it very often). I am not here to start a heated argument nor did I ask any one any questions....just venting. Good luck on your plays, hopefully we all can make a little coin on this nice NBA Sunday. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:



    This issue has been endlessly beaten into the ground, most recently in the "food stamps" thread.

    You haven't presented a single original viewpoint compared to what has been recently written on this site and everywhere on the internet in general.

    "Try a little bit" - What the fuck does that mean? There is a 8+% unemployment rate which is more than doubled as a real unemployment rate. Why do you think employment exists? Trying won't get you a job when for 16% of the population, they don't exist.
    No Try harder! Or, create your own job! What kind of mentality is this? Are these people supposed to pray over some magic 8-ball to get a job? Why don't you be the job creator.

    Take your job, make your money and worry about yourself.

    Like the first sentence of my original post says, "maybe I am just venting."

    Also, I realize that the issue was beaten in to the ground in the "food stamps thread". I just wanted to go on a little rant (I don't do it very often). I am not here to start a heated argument nor did I ask any one any questions....just venting. Good luck on your plays, hopefully we all can make a little coin on this nice NBA Sunday. 
     
    Randisist
    Randisist
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 3158
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 2:21 PM ET #16

    ad1260,

    I wish you well on your trip to Korea. It is a wonderful opportunity and I applaud you for wanting to go. It will benefit you greatly in life. I was statoned in Korea in 82-83 and envy you for the adventure you are about to embark on. If you don't know Korean, learn Korean while you are young and have the mind for it.
    Reply
    ad1260,

    I wish you well on your trip to Korea. It is a wonderful opportunity and I applaud you for wanting to go. It will benefit you greatly in life. I was statoned in Korea in 82-83 and envy you for the adventure you are about to embark on. If you don't know Korean, learn Korean while you are young and have the mind for it.
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8159
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 2:31 PM ET #17

    Thanks Randisist, I really appreciate it. None of it is finalized yet (I am supposed to get in touch with the schools recruiter in April to really try and hash it out so I can get there by August). I think it is an awesome opportunity as well, plus I won't have to start threads to vent about government assistance haha. I am looking to teach in Seoul, I hear it is an awesome, BIG, cheap city with much to do and see. Thanks for the well wishes  
    Reply
    Thanks Randisist, I really appreciate it. None of it is finalized yet (I am supposed to get in touch with the schools recruiter in April to really try and hash it out so I can get there by August). I think it is an awesome opportunity as well, plus I won't have to start threads to vent about government assistance haha. I am looking to teach in Seoul, I hear it is an awesome, BIG, cheap city with much to do and see. Thanks for the well wishes  
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 2:36 PM ET #18

    Quote Originally Posted by Randisist:



     You actually wrote the above quote!?!?!? REALLY!!!! YOU of all the people who post here are ragging on someone for NOT presenting an original viewpoint!!! REALLY!!!!

    How about YOU show us an original view point BEFORE calling someone out for writing the same tired crap over and over???

    Yes, I wrote that. And the 'tired crap' you speak of is called speaking out against systemic, institutional and social inequities because of racism in America.

    That doesn't require a 'new and innovating' train of thought when you are pointing it out where you see it in these forums.

    Having said that, tell me how informing the covers community that whites use elicit drugs (and thereby possess at some point) at higher rates than blacks (post #52) in America is 'tired crap.' It debunks the long-held stereotype that blacks are the primary users and abusers of drugs and obliterates dogshit's contention that drugs within the black community make it less superior when compared to the white race. Most of what I post is completely unknown to the average white male here BECAUSE of their stereotypes.

    That is a cited study. I didn't perform the study. That makes the thought 'unoriginal' when virtually NO ONE here knew that and still doesn't believe even after it's posting??? That is the PURPOSE of a citation, to support an argument.

    Ad was venting...that's fine. That's freedom of speech. But these threads lead to a cavalcade of white males ragging on the poor (and ultimately black and hispanic communities) and there has been more than enough of that here. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Randisist:



     You actually wrote the above quote!?!?!? REALLY!!!! YOU of all the people who post here are ragging on someone for NOT presenting an original viewpoint!!! REALLY!!!!

    How about YOU show us an original view point BEFORE calling someone out for writing the same tired crap over and over???

    Yes, I wrote that. And the 'tired crap' you speak of is called speaking out against systemic, institutional and social inequities because of racism in America.

    That doesn't require a 'new and innovating' train of thought when you are pointing it out where you see it in these forums.

    Having said that, tell me how informing the covers community that whites use elicit drugs (and thereby possess at some point) at higher rates than blacks (post #52) in America is 'tired crap.' It debunks the long-held stereotype that blacks are the primary users and abusers of drugs and obliterates dogshit's contention that drugs within the black community make it less superior when compared to the white race. Most of what I post is completely unknown to the average white male here BECAUSE of their stereotypes.

    That is a cited study. I didn't perform the study. That makes the thought 'unoriginal' when virtually NO ONE here knew that and still doesn't believe even after it's posting??? That is the PURPOSE of a citation, to support an argument.

    Ad was venting...that's fine. That's freedom of speech. But these threads lead to a cavalcade of white males ragging on the poor (and ultimately black and hispanic communities) and there has been more than enough of that here. 
     
    michaelpaul1
    michaelpaul1
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2007
    Posts: 22613
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 5:04 PM ET #19

    kick out all the fucking illegals and there will be plenty of jobs for everyone...
    Reply
    kick out all the fucking illegals and there will be plenty of jobs for everyone...
     
    thirdperson
    thirdperson
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2005
    Posts: 9443
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 5:06 PM ET #20

    Poverty is a problem in many countries.  After the great depression of the 1930's, social safety nets were created to temporarily help people.  Although expensive, society is still better off with instead of without them.  Unemployment insurance benefits don't last long and pay a fraction of previous income.  Most unemployed people want a job.  Without welfare,  people suffer and economy decline from reduced consumption. 

    If governments need to reduce spending, eligibility can be toughen so that most unemployed don't collect benefits.  Also benefits can be less generous.   When unemployment is low again, surplus UI premiums become general revenue that governments exploit.

    Reply

    Poverty is a problem in many countries.  After the great depression of the 1930's, social safety nets were created to temporarily help people.  Although expensive, society is still better off with instead of without them.  Unemployment insurance benefits don't last long and pay a fraction of previous income.  Most unemployed people want a job.  Without welfare,  people suffer and economy decline from reduced consumption. 

    If governments need to reduce spending, eligibility can be toughen so that most unemployed don't collect benefits.  Also benefits can be less generous.   When unemployment is low again, surplus UI premiums become general revenue that governments exploit.

     
    adamjoe
    adamjoe
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 1986
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 5:20 PM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    Yes, I wrote that. And the 'tired crap' you speak of is called speaking out against systemic, institutional and social inequities because of racism in America.

    That doesn't require a 'new and innovating' train of thought when you are pointing it out where you see it in these forums.

    Having said that, tell me how informing the covers community that whites use elicit drugs (and thereby possess at some point) at higher rates than blacks (post #52) in America is 'tired crap.' It debunks the long-held stereotype that blacks are the primary users and abusers of drugs and obliterates dogshit's contention that drugs within the black community make it less superior when compared to the white race. Most of what I post is completely unknown to the average white male here BECAUSE of their stereotypes.

    That is a cited study. I didn't perform the study. That makes the thought 'unoriginal' when virtually NO ONE here knew that and still doesn't believe even after it's posting??? That is the PURPOSE of a citation, to support an argument.

    Ad was venting...that's fine. That's freedom of speech. But these threads lead to a cavalcade of white males ragging on the poor (and ultimately black and hispanic communities) and there has been more than enough of that here. 

    Keep making excuses.  People like you are part of the problem.  Because a problem exists, you focus on how the problem is keeping someone down instead of focusing on how to overcome the problem.
    The fact remains that there is more opportunity today for the poor, blacks, hispanics, etc.  Opportunities to have someone else support you while you get your shit together.  But many of these people and those that champion them make excuses for why they are in a tough spot instead of working on getting out of poverty.

    Your unemployment figures are just numbers and you can make numbers say anything you want them to.  If you have something of value to offer, people will pay you for it. I don't give a fuck how bad the economy is.  Most people would rather stay on government assistance rather than work hard at improving themselves.  It is easier to make excuses than to do something about it.  People like you only perpetuate the cycle. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    Yes, I wrote that. And the 'tired crap' you speak of is called speaking out against systemic, institutional and social inequities because of racism in America.

    That doesn't require a 'new and innovating' train of thought when you are pointing it out where you see it in these forums.

    Having said that, tell me how informing the covers community that whites use elicit drugs (and thereby possess at some point) at higher rates than blacks (post #52) in America is 'tired crap.' It debunks the long-held stereotype that blacks are the primary users and abusers of drugs and obliterates dogshit's contention that drugs within the black community make it less superior when compared to the white race. Most of what I post is completely unknown to the average white male here BECAUSE of their stereotypes.

    That is a cited study. I didn't perform the study. That makes the thought 'unoriginal' when virtually NO ONE here knew that and still doesn't believe even after it's posting??? That is the PURPOSE of a citation, to support an argument.

    Ad was venting...that's fine. That's freedom of speech. But these threads lead to a cavalcade of white males ragging on the poor (and ultimately black and hispanic communities) and there has been more than enough of that here. 

    Keep making excuses.  People like you are part of the problem.  Because a problem exists, you focus on how the problem is keeping someone down instead of focusing on how to overcome the problem.
    The fact remains that there is more opportunity today for the poor, blacks, hispanics, etc.  Opportunities to have someone else support you while you get your shit together.  But many of these people and those that champion them make excuses for why they are in a tough spot instead of working on getting out of poverty.

    Your unemployment figures are just numbers and you can make numbers say anything you want them to.  If you have something of value to offer, people will pay you for it. I don't give a fuck how bad the economy is.  Most people would rather stay on government assistance rather than work hard at improving themselves.  It is easier to make excuses than to do something about it.  People like you only perpetuate the cycle. 
     
    Jelax
    Jelax
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2010
    Posts: 2401
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 5:56 PM ET #22

    AD - check with Department of Defense.  They have teaching opportunities overseas.  They especially need male teachers.  Just a thought and I'd imagine starting salary would be significantly higher. Best of luck going forward. 
    Reply
    AD - check with Department of Defense.  They have teaching opportunities overseas.  They especially need male teachers.  Just a thought and I'd imagine starting salary would be significantly higher. Best of luck going forward. 
     
    Randisist
    Randisist
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2010
    Posts: 3158
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 6:58 PM ET #23

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    Yes, I wrote that. And the 'tired crap' you speak of is called speaking out against systemic, institutional and social inequities because of racism in America.

    That doesn't require a 'new and innovating' train of thought when you are pointing it out where you see it in these forums.

    Having said that, tell me how informing the covers community that whites use elicit drugs (and thereby possess at some point) at higher rates than blacks (post #52) in America is 'tired crap.' It debunks the long-held stereotype that blacks are the primary users and abusers of drugs and obliterates dogshit's contention that drugs within the black community make it less superior when compared to the white race. Most of what I post is completely unknown to the average white male here BECAUSE of their stereotypes.

    That is a cited study. I didn't perform the study. That makes the thought 'unoriginal' when virtually NO ONE here knew that and still doesn't believe even after it's posting??? That is the PURPOSE of a citation, to support an argument.

    Ad was venting...that's fine. That's freedom of speech. But these threads lead to a cavalcade of white males ragging on the poor (and ultimately black and hispanic communities) and there has been more than enough of that here. 


    Still waiting on that original thought...
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:


    Yes, I wrote that. And the 'tired crap' you speak of is called speaking out against systemic, institutional and social inequities because of racism in America.

    That doesn't require a 'new and innovating' train of thought when you are pointing it out where you see it in these forums.

    Having said that, tell me how informing the covers community that whites use elicit drugs (and thereby possess at some point) at higher rates than blacks (post #52) in America is 'tired crap.' It debunks the long-held stereotype that blacks are the primary users and abusers of drugs and obliterates dogshit's contention that drugs within the black community make it less superior when compared to the white race. Most of what I post is completely unknown to the average white male here BECAUSE of their stereotypes.

    That is a cited study. I didn't perform the study. That makes the thought 'unoriginal' when virtually NO ONE here knew that and still doesn't believe even after it's posting??? That is the PURPOSE of a citation, to support an argument.

    Ad was venting...that's fine. That's freedom of speech. But these threads lead to a cavalcade of white males ragging on the poor (and ultimately black and hispanic communities) and there has been more than enough of that here. 


    Still waiting on that original thought...
     
    thorpe
    thorpe
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2002
    Posts: 12927
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 7:35 PM ET #24

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpaul1:

    kick out all the fucking illegals and there will be plenty of jobs for everyone...


    I'm sure the guy with 3 kids who used to make 100,000 a year would love to have those sub-minimum wage jobs in the strawberry fields, the slaughterhouses, washing dishes and cleaning people's houses. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpaul1:

    kick out all the fucking illegals and there will be plenty of jobs for everyone...


    I'm sure the guy with 3 kids who used to make 100,000 a year would love to have those sub-minimum wage jobs in the strawberry fields, the slaughterhouses, washing dishes and cleaning people's houses. 
     
     
    ABooksNightmare
    ABooksNightmare
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2004
    Posts: 26633
    Posted: Feb. 19, 2012 - 10:32 PM ET #25

    Quote Originally Posted by thorpe:

    Unemployment is not Government Assistance.  It is insurance.  While you are working, you pay into the Unemployment fund, and if you lose your job (without being fired) you can collect money from the fund.  Not collecting money from the fund would be like having health insurance, but not using it when you go to the hospital. 

    If you have a problem with anyone, it should be with the government for extending the amount of time someone can be on unemployment.


    Um what?

    Unemployment is an added expense the employer pays, not the employee. However there are 3 states that currently have a small imposed tax that is passed on tot he employee, but it does not cover the full Unemployment. Employers also pay the Federal Unemployment tax and not the employee.

    So it is not insurance the employee pays in at all. In fact, this is one aspect that employee's fail to understand that a business is required to pay on your behalf just for employing an employee. Add that on top of the FICA and Medicare that has to be matched. Even though employee's have received a 2% reduction in the FICA withheld, the employer is still having to pay in 6.2%.

    In California, just about every employer is maxed at 6.2% for Unemployment due to the Federal Government extending benefits to 2 years. When the Feds did that, our already broke state borrowed some 9 billion dollars from them to pay for the extended benefit. Since the state has not paid it back, which of course how were they when they were already broke, guess who has to pay it back? Yup, the employers. The last week in November last year, the Feds released an additional .3% tax on employers in California that was retoed back the entire year. All because the state can't pay them back. They shit on all the companies that bill clients by payroll. Any Employee Leasing or Staffing companies had no clue of this additioanl tax until 5 weeks before the end of the year. These businesses bill their customers with each payroll period. The word is that it will increse and additional .3% for 2012, but employers will not know until November. So while FUTA was reduced from .8% to .6% in the third quarter of last year, employers in California were hit with an additinal .3% that had to be paid into the Feds. This will now be .6% for 2012. Michigan has been at .9% and Indiana is at .6% with several others at .3%.

    When people find a job, they should understand that an employer is not only paying your wage and maybe a portion of your health insrance, but also 6.2% for FICA, 1.45% for Medicare, the employer's Unemployment rate (6.2% for us in California) and .6% for FUTA, plus an additional .6% for 2012. that's 13.6% of your wages on top of what you are being paid. Now the UI and FUTA is on the first $7,000 (in California), but still. This doesn't include your Workers Comp rate.

     Let's use California as an example. Employee earns $7,000, here are the costs to the employer:

    FICA (6.2%) - $434

    Medicare (1.45%) - $101.50

    State Unemployment (6.2%) - $434

    Federal Unemployment (.6% + .6%) - $42 + $42 = $84

    Total   -   $1053.50

     

    So even though the employee only made $7000, the employer paid your net wages plus $1053.50. And this is just for taxes and not Workers Comp or Health Benefits if the employee had them.

    Now look at Unemployment. The employer paid in $434 to the employer's trust fund. An employee files for Unemployment in California and they can receive 1/26 of the highest paid quarter of the base period. So say the $7000 was earned in one quarter. 1/26 of $7000 is $269.23. That is the weekly benefit amount the employee will receive on Unemployment. As long as the employee is allegedly looking for work this employee will earn a minimum of $269.23 from anywhere between 12-26 weeks. So minimum 12 x $269.23 = $3230.76 or 26 x $269.23 = $6999.98. Now this is a simplistic calculation, but you get the idea. So if the employer pays in only $434 and the employee can draw the minimum $3230.76 that leaves the employer's trust account in a deficit of $2796.76. this is how the employer's rate is then calculated and there is your 6.2%, which is the highest rate in California.

    Four years ago our account had about a half million dollar surplus....at the closing of the fiscal year for the state late last year our account has nearly a half million dollar deficit due to the extension of UI benefits.....and we are not alone   

    COVERS allows u to tell someone they are sexually frustrated so long as ur hands are clean
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by thorpe:

    Unemployment is not Government Assistance.  It is insurance.  While you are working, you pay into the Unemployment fund, and if you lose your job (without being fired) you can collect money from the fund.  Not collecting money from the fund would be like having health insurance, but not using it when you go to the hospital. 

    If you have a problem with anyone, it should be with the government for extending the amount of time someone can be on unemployment.


    Um what?

    Unemployment is an added expense the employer pays, not the employee. However there are 3 states that currently have a small imposed tax that is passed on tot he employee, but it does not cover the full Unemployment. Employers also pay the Federal Unemployment tax and not the employee.

    So it is not insurance the employee pays in at all. In fact, this is one aspect that employee's fail to understand that a business is required to pay on your behalf just for employing an employee. Add that on top of the FICA and Medicare that has to be matched. Even though employee's have received a 2% reduction in the FICA withheld, the employer is still having to pay in 6.2%.

    In California, just about every employer is maxed at 6.2% for Unemployment due to the Federal Government extending benefits to 2 years. When the Feds did that, our already broke state borrowed some 9 billion dollars from them to pay for the extended benefit. Since the state has not paid it back, which of course how were they when they were already broke, guess who has to pay it back? Yup, the employers. The last week in November last year, the Feds released an additional .3% tax on employers in California that was retoed back the entire year. All because the state can't pay them back. They shit on all the companies that bill clients by payroll. Any Employee Leasing or Staffing companies had no clue of this additioanl tax until 5 weeks before the end of the year. These businesses bill their customers with each payroll period. The word is that it will increse and additional .3% for 2012, but employers will not know until November. So while FUTA was reduced from .8% to .6% in the third quarter of last year, employers in California were hit with an additinal .3% that had to be paid into the Feds. This will now be .6% for 2012. Michigan has been at .9% and Indiana is at .6% with several others at .3%.

    When people find a job, they should understand that an employer is not only paying your wage and maybe a portion of your health insrance, but also 6.2% for FICA, 1.45% for Medicare, the employer's Unemployment rate (6.2% for us in California) and .6% for FUTA, plus an additional .6% for 2012. that's 13.6% of your wages on top of what you are being paid. Now the UI and FUTA is on the first $7,000 (in California), but still. This doesn't include your Workers Comp rate.

     Let's use California as an example. Employee earns $7,000, here are the costs to the employer:

    FICA (6.2%) - $434

    Medicare (1.45%) - $101.50

    State Unemployment (6.2%) - $434

    Federal Unemployment (.6% + .6%) - $42 + $42 = $84

    Total   -   $1053.50

     

    So even though the employee only made $7000, the employer paid your net wages plus $1053.50. And this is just for taxes and not Workers Comp or Health Benefits if the employee had them.

    Now look at Unemployment. The employer paid in $434 to the employer's trust fund. An employee files for Unemployment in California and they can receive 1/26 of the highest paid quarter of the base period. So say the $7000 was earned in one quarter. 1/26 of $7000 is $269.23. That is the weekly benefit amount the employee will receive on Unemployment. As long as the employee is allegedly looking for work this employee will earn a minimum of $269.23 from anywhere between 12-26 weeks. So minimum 12 x $269.23 = $3230.76 or 26 x $269.23 = $6999.98. Now this is a simplistic calculation, but you get the idea. So if the employer pays in only $434 and the employee can draw the minimum $3230.76 that leaves the employer's trust account in a deficit of $2796.76. this is how the employer's rate is then calculated and there is your 6.2%, which is the highest rate in California.

    Four years ago our account had about a half million dollar surplus....at the closing of the fiscal year for the state late last year our account has nearly a half million dollar deficit due to the extension of UI benefits.....and we are not alone   

    All Forums | General Discussion
    123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,266
    • PART DEUX 214
    • Thursday 10/01/2026 754
    • Steelers vs Browns in-game live TNF 2,108
    • Cleveland Bettors 2,625
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 103,208
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 12,138
    • Happening just recently . . . 36,844
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 30,043
    • We have picked a terrible time to have the stupidest president ever 30,585

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.