• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Buccaneers-Cowboys Leans
      • Eagles-Jaguars Leans
      • NFL Week 5 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Surprisingly, I don't miss online sports betting one bit

    12 Next Last»
    Bling
    The Hawk
    Messier-11
    mr_bollox
    wallstreetcappers
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 1551
    Posts: 30
    12 Next Last»
     
    Bling
    Bling
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 41476
    Posted: Sep. 7, 2014 - 6:21 PM ET #1

    January 1st, 2014 I quit online sports betting (I still bet sports during my trips to Vegas).  This was after a horrible Oct - Dec where not only would I lose, but a lot of my losses were bonified 's.  By bonified I mean a real moose, not the watered down moose's you see on this board where basically any loss is considered one.  I am talking about freak occurrences or last second play calling that goes completely against the logic of the game.

    I was fine January through May because I was in a place in the world where it was not convenient to bet.  When I got back to the states, I was fine because it was Baseball season and even though I bet it in the past, it is not something I was really passionate about. 

    My BIG worry was the start of football season.  In the past I got the college and NFL Sunday Ticket sports packages through Direct TV and on Saturday and Sunday I would have two receivers and TVs set up in the living room betting games all day.  I thought I would be miserable, or worse, relapse and start betting again.

    Surprisingly after two weeks of CFB and one week of NFL, I find myself not missing it one bit.  What helps is reading the NFL message board and seeing all the bad beats and usual b ullsh it that happens in CFB and the NFL every week.

    So if you are considering getting out, if I can do it so can you!  Also keep those entertaining threads coming in the CFB and NFL section, they serve as great reminders not to get back into this bullshi t
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    January 1st, 2014 I quit online sports betting (I still bet sports during my trips to Vegas).  This was after a horrible Oct - Dec where not only would I lose, but a lot of my losses were bonified 's.  By bonified I mean a real moose, not the watered down moose's you see on this board where basically any loss is considered one.  I am talking about freak occurrences or last second play calling that goes completely against the logic of the game.

    I was fine January through May because I was in a place in the world where it was not convenient to bet.  When I got back to the states, I was fine because it was Baseball season and even though I bet it in the past, it is not something I was really passionate about. 

    My BIG worry was the start of football season.  In the past I got the college and NFL Sunday Ticket sports packages through Direct TV and on Saturday and Sunday I would have two receivers and TVs set up in the living room betting games all day.  I thought I would be miserable, or worse, relapse and start betting again.

    Surprisingly after two weeks of CFB and one week of NFL, I find myself not missing it one bit.  What helps is reading the NFL message board and seeing all the bad beats and usual b ullsh it that happens in CFB and the NFL every week.

    So if you are considering getting out, if I can do it so can you!  Also keep those entertaining threads coming in the CFB and NFL section, they serve as great reminders not to get back into this bullshi t
     
    The Hawk
    The Hawk
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2006
    Posts: 19693
    Posted: Sep. 7, 2014 - 6:59 PM ET #2

    Bling, congrats!

    Really!

    Betting only on Vegas trips actually give you more ammo/data to choose from to make an informed bet. And NOT having to fill out the whole betting day from sunup Saturday morning to well into Sunday night. I'm sure you and your wallet can relax during the weekend. Let me know when you're going to Vegas
    Reply
    Bling, congrats!

    Really!

    Betting only on Vegas trips actually give you more ammo/data to choose from to make an informed bet. And NOT having to fill out the whole betting day from sunup Saturday morning to well into Sunday night. I'm sure you and your wallet can relax during the weekend. Let me know when you're going to Vegas
     
    Bling
    Bling
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 41476
    Posted: Sep. 7, 2014 - 8:09 PM ET #3

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk:

    Bling, congrats!

    Really!

    Betting only on Vegas trips actually give you more ammo/data to choose from to make an informed bet. And NOT having to fill out the whole betting day from sunup Saturday morning to well into Sunday night. I'm sure you and your wallet can relax during the weekend. Let me know when you're going to Vegas
    Thanks Hawk!
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk:

    Bling, congrats!

    Really!

    Betting only on Vegas trips actually give you more ammo/data to choose from to make an informed bet. And NOT having to fill out the whole betting day from sunup Saturday morning to well into Sunday night. I'm sure you and your wallet can relax during the weekend. Let me know when you're going to Vegas
    Thanks Hawk!
     
    Messier-11
    Messier-11
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 11184
    Posted: Sep. 7, 2014 - 8:18 PM ET #4

    ive found fantasy sports and free contests like survivor, streak for the cash, beat the streak , etc help me a lot. Very hard to watch games without some kid of rooting interest. Those options make it bearable if I do decide to take a break
    Reply
    ive found fantasy sports and free contests like survivor, streak for the cash, beat the streak , etc help me a lot. Very hard to watch games without some kid of rooting interest. Those options make it bearable if I do decide to take a break
     
    Bling
    Bling
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 41476
    Posted: Sep. 7, 2014 - 10:19 PM ET #5

    Quote Originally Posted by Messier-11:

    ive found fantasy sports and free contests like survivor, streak for the cash, beat the streak , etc help me a lot. Very hard to watch games without some kid of rooting interest. Those options make it bearable if I do decide to take a break
    I find Fantasy Football more enjoyable.  Almost every week I was conflicted between one of my FF players and the fact that I picked the opposing team to cover the spread, or I bet the under.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Messier-11:

    ive found fantasy sports and free contests like survivor, streak for the cash, beat the streak , etc help me a lot. Very hard to watch games without some kid of rooting interest. Those options make it bearable if I do decide to take a break
    I find Fantasy Football more enjoyable.  Almost every week I was conflicted between one of my FF players and the fact that I picked the opposing team to cover the spread, or I bet the under.
     
    mr_bollox
    mr_bollox
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2009
    Posts: 14400
    Posted: Sep. 7, 2014 - 11:12 PM ET #6

    i always find these "I quit  and here's why " threads on here a bit strange, this is a gambling website, thats why 90-95% of us are on here, its a bit like an alcoholic going on to a site to discuss what pub crawls are best.

    And everyone has bad beats, you just tend to remember them, not the winners ; but if thats the reason you quit, then as a betting man, I'll be betting you'll be back gambling online before the end of the year.

    GL to u though Bling, if you're in a good place now, then thats all that matters
    Reply
    i always find these "I quit  and here's why " threads on here a bit strange, this is a gambling website, thats why 90-95% of us are on here, its a bit like an alcoholic going on to a site to discuss what pub crawls are best.

    And everyone has bad beats, you just tend to remember them, not the winners ; but if thats the reason you quit, then as a betting man, I'll be betting you'll be back gambling online before the end of the year.

    GL to u though Bling, if you're in a good place now, then thats all that matters
     
    Bling
    Bling
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 41476
    Posted: Sep. 7, 2014 - 11:38 PM ET #7

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_bollox:

    i always find these "I quit  and here's why " threads on here a bit strange, this is a gambling website, thats why 90-95% of us are on here, its a bit like an alcoholic going on to a site to discuss what pub crawls are best.

    And everyone has bad beats, you just tend to remember them, not the winners ; but if thats the reason you quit, then as a betting man, I'll be betting you'll be back gambling online before the end of the year.

    GL to u though Bling, if you're in a good place now, then thats all that matters
    Not even close, I would say coming to this site is more akin to a recovering alcoholic observing the drunk tank at the local police station at 2:30 on a Sunday morning. 

    Also, I am not a recovering gambler.  I still gamble, I play poker a lot and I take 3 - 4 trips to Vegas per year.   I am just giving up a certain aspect of gambling.  When you net +$25,000 in live poker earnings from tournaments and cash games and lose it all to online sports betting, the choice is easy, lose the online sports betting.

    Plus I know what every person on this site that has been sports betting for more than 5 years secretly knows but will never admit.  Over the long term, no one, and I mean no one ends up in the plus column betting sports.  The vig catches up to everyone, even the well known winners end up after a while going to illegal activities to support their betting income. 

    Also, this site offer more than just sports betting talk on specific games.  I actually spend most of my time here in the General Discussion, Las Vegas, and Penalty Box sections. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_bollox:

    i always find these "I quit  and here's why " threads on here a bit strange, this is a gambling website, thats why 90-95% of us are on here, its a bit like an alcoholic going on to a site to discuss what pub crawls are best.

    And everyone has bad beats, you just tend to remember them, not the winners ; but if thats the reason you quit, then as a betting man, I'll be betting you'll be back gambling online before the end of the year.

    GL to u though Bling, if you're in a good place now, then thats all that matters
    Not even close, I would say coming to this site is more akin to a recovering alcoholic observing the drunk tank at the local police station at 2:30 on a Sunday morning. 

    Also, I am not a recovering gambler.  I still gamble, I play poker a lot and I take 3 - 4 trips to Vegas per year.   I am just giving up a certain aspect of gambling.  When you net +$25,000 in live poker earnings from tournaments and cash games and lose it all to online sports betting, the choice is easy, lose the online sports betting.

    Plus I know what every person on this site that has been sports betting for more than 5 years secretly knows but will never admit.  Over the long term, no one, and I mean no one ends up in the plus column betting sports.  The vig catches up to everyone, even the well known winners end up after a while going to illegal activities to support their betting income. 

    Also, this site offer more than just sports betting talk on specific games.  I actually spend most of my time here in the General Discussion, Las Vegas, and Penalty Box sections. 
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58427
    Posted: Sep. 8, 2014 - 12:15 AM ET #8

    k
    Reply
    k
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Sep. 8, 2014 - 12:26 AM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by Bling:

    Not even close, I would say coming to this site is more akin to a recovering alcoholic observing the drunk tank at the local police station at 2:30 on a Sunday morning. 

    Also, I am not a recovering gambler.  I still gamble, I play poker a lot and I take 3 - 4 trips to Vegas per year.   I am just giving up a certain aspect of gambling.  When you net +$25,000 in live poker earnings from tournaments and cash games and lose it all to online sports betting, the choice is easy, lose the online sports betting.

    Plus I know what every person on this site that has been sports betting for more than 5 years secretly knows but will never admit.  Over the long term, no one, and I mean no one ends up in the plus column betting sports.  The vig catches up to everyone, even the well known winners end up after a while going to illegal activities to support their betting income. 

    Also, this site offer more than just sports betting talk on specific games.  I actually spend most of my time here in the General Discussion, Las Vegas, and Penalty Box sections. 

     

    You can absolutely end up in the + column.

     

    But is more about discipline and how you bet, not necessarily what you bet, assuming you are not a typical square.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Bling:

    Not even close, I would say coming to this site is more akin to a recovering alcoholic observing the drunk tank at the local police station at 2:30 on a Sunday morning. 

    Also, I am not a recovering gambler.  I still gamble, I play poker a lot and I take 3 - 4 trips to Vegas per year.   I am just giving up a certain aspect of gambling.  When you net +$25,000 in live poker earnings from tournaments and cash games and lose it all to online sports betting, the choice is easy, lose the online sports betting.

    Plus I know what every person on this site that has been sports betting for more than 5 years secretly knows but will never admit.  Over the long term, no one, and I mean no one ends up in the plus column betting sports.  The vig catches up to everyone, even the well known winners end up after a while going to illegal activities to support their betting income. 

    Also, this site offer more than just sports betting talk on specific games.  I actually spend most of my time here in the General Discussion, Las Vegas, and Penalty Box sections. 

     

    You can absolutely end up in the + column.

     

    But is more about discipline and how you bet, not necessarily what you bet, assuming you are not a typical square.

     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Sep. 8, 2014 - 12:28 AM ET #10

    Take slots as an example.

    I will NEVER play a slot machine.

    Why? Unless you hit a progressive, you will never end up in the + column.

    Sports betting? Completely different. And believe me, I wouldn't be on this site for a single second if there wasn't money to be made in the NBA and NFL over the short and long-term.

    Reply

    Take slots as an example.

    I will NEVER play a slot machine.

    Why? Unless you hit a progressive, you will never end up in the + column.

    Sports betting? Completely different. And believe me, I wouldn't be on this site for a single second if there wasn't money to be made in the NBA and NFL over the short and long-term.

     
    cpfs146
    cpfs146
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2006
    Posts: 1165
    Posted: Sep. 8, 2014 - 1:45 AM ET #11

    bling enjoying life now
    Reply
    bling enjoying life now
     
    Bluefin
    Bluefin
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2006
    Posts: 8485
    Posted: Sep. 8, 2014 - 9:05 AM ET #12

    Whatever floats your boat..
    Reply
    Whatever floats your boat..
     
    TheDrizzle77
    TheDrizzle77
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2011
    Posts: 2685
    Posted: Sep. 8, 2014 - 9:33 AM ET #13

    In my eyes, online sports betting for a gambling addict is like putting an uzi in a 7-year old's hand at a gun range outside of Las Vegas.

    An idiotic situation that is bound to turn into a disaster.  It might seem fun and harmless at first, but give it a few, it will escalate and next thing you know you took a slug to the head.

    The main issue becomes that you are staring at nothing more than a number.  You don't have the luxury of touching, feeling or even seeing the money you are wagering.  What is merely a number is the sensation that, "my bankroll is limitless."  I've been down this road as short as a few weeks ago.  You take one brutal loss that should have never happened, and you end up hurling your own snowball off a mountain.  

    I find that when you place the bet, let's say an 1100 single game bet, you find yourself counting out all of that money.  You realize, this is a lot of money, I better get s**t right.  You put a ton more devotion and time into that play.

    We're not talking cocaine, alcohol or heroin.  I don't lump gambling into that category, because at the end of the day your body doesn't go into shock; it doesn't reject anything but the drug, and you won't become autoimmune-deficient without it (unless you are a psychosomatic type.)  It's not hard to get yourself away from gambling, and more importantly the offshore business.

    I believe you that you're off, Bling.  Also very happy for you.  Life, I'm sure becomes easier without that burden on you.  But I really don't see this place helping your cause of staying straight.  A gambler thrives off of impulse.  This place is filled with impulse-based ideas.

    Different from a drunk tank, this is more of a bar with people telling you, "just one drink isn't going to kill you."   I see people win here just as much as lose.  I can't imagine a drunk tank filled with success stories.  

    I love the entertainment of Covers on a given day.  But this would be one of the last forums I visited on my path to recovery from the offshore gaming business.  

    At the end of the day, though, to each their own I'm sure.  And I hope you stay straight and live life without burden or stress.  Squeezing the most of a utilitarianism-esque state of mind is knowing that what you're doing what helps not just you live a better life, but everybody around you who is important enough to change for.  Good luck.  
    Reply
    In my eyes, online sports betting for a gambling addict is like putting an uzi in a 7-year old's hand at a gun range outside of Las Vegas.

    An idiotic situation that is bound to turn into a disaster.  It might seem fun and harmless at first, but give it a few, it will escalate and next thing you know you took a slug to the head.

    The main issue becomes that you are staring at nothing more than a number.  You don't have the luxury of touching, feeling or even seeing the money you are wagering.  What is merely a number is the sensation that, "my bankroll is limitless."  I've been down this road as short as a few weeks ago.  You take one brutal loss that should have never happened, and you end up hurling your own snowball off a mountain.  

    I find that when you place the bet, let's say an 1100 single game bet, you find yourself counting out all of that money.  You realize, this is a lot of money, I better get s**t right.  You put a ton more devotion and time into that play.

    We're not talking cocaine, alcohol or heroin.  I don't lump gambling into that category, because at the end of the day your body doesn't go into shock; it doesn't reject anything but the drug, and you won't become autoimmune-deficient without it (unless you are a psychosomatic type.)  It's not hard to get yourself away from gambling, and more importantly the offshore business.

    I believe you that you're off, Bling.  Also very happy for you.  Life, I'm sure becomes easier without that burden on you.  But I really don't see this place helping your cause of staying straight.  A gambler thrives off of impulse.  This place is filled with impulse-based ideas.

    Different from a drunk tank, this is more of a bar with people telling you, "just one drink isn't going to kill you."   I see people win here just as much as lose.  I can't imagine a drunk tank filled with success stories.  

    I love the entertainment of Covers on a given day.  But this would be one of the last forums I visited on my path to recovery from the offshore gaming business.  

    At the end of the day, though, to each their own I'm sure.  And I hope you stay straight and live life without burden or stress.  Squeezing the most of a utilitarianism-esque state of mind is knowing that what you're doing what helps not just you live a better life, but everybody around you who is important enough to change for.  Good luck.  
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Sep. 8, 2014 - 10:30 PM ET #14

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle77:

    In my eyes, online sports betting for a gambling addict is like putting an uzi in a 7-year old's hand at a gun range outside of Las Vegas.

    An idiotic situation that is bound to turn into a disaster.  It might seem fun and harmless at first, but give it a few, it will escalate and next thing you know you took a slug to the head.

    The main issue becomes that you are staring at nothing more than a number.  You don't have the luxury of touching, feeling or even seeing the money you are wagering.  What is merely a number is the sensation that, "my bankroll is limitless."  I've been down this road as short as a few weeks ago.  You take one brutal loss that should have never happened, and you end up hurling your own snowball off a mountain.  

    I find that when you place the bet, let's say an 1100 single game bet, you find yourself counting out all of that money.  You realize, this is a lot of money, I better get s**t right.  You put a ton more devotion and time into that play.

    We're not talking cocaine, alcohol or heroin.  I don't lump gambling into that category, because at the end of the day your body doesn't go into shock; it doesn't reject anything but the drug, and you won't become autoimmune-deficient without it (unless you are a psychosomatic type.)  It's not hard to get yourself away from gambling, and more importantly the offshore business.

    I believe you that you're off, Bling.  Also very happy for you.  Life, I'm sure becomes easier without that burden on you.  But I really don't see this place helping your cause of staying straight.  A gambler thrives off of impulse.  This place is filled with impulse-based ideas.

    Different from a drunk tank, this is more of a bar with people telling you, "just one drink isn't going to kill you."   I see people win here just as much as lose.  I can't imagine a drunk tank filled with success stories.  

    I love the entertainment of Covers on a given day.  But this would be one of the last forums I visited on my path to recovery from the offshore gaming business.  

    At the end of the day, though, to each their own I'm sure.  And I hope you stay straight and live life without burden or stress.  Squeezing the most of a utilitarianism-esque state of mind is knowing that what you're doing what helps not just you live a better life, but everybody around you who is important enough to change for.  Good luck.  

     

    Nice encouraging words.

     

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle77:

    In my eyes, online sports betting for a gambling addict is like putting an uzi in a 7-year old's hand at a gun range outside of Las Vegas.

    An idiotic situation that is bound to turn into a disaster.  It might seem fun and harmless at first, but give it a few, it will escalate and next thing you know you took a slug to the head.

    The main issue becomes that you are staring at nothing more than a number.  You don't have the luxury of touching, feeling or even seeing the money you are wagering.  What is merely a number is the sensation that, "my bankroll is limitless."  I've been down this road as short as a few weeks ago.  You take one brutal loss that should have never happened, and you end up hurling your own snowball off a mountain.  

    I find that when you place the bet, let's say an 1100 single game bet, you find yourself counting out all of that money.  You realize, this is a lot of money, I better get s**t right.  You put a ton more devotion and time into that play.

    We're not talking cocaine, alcohol or heroin.  I don't lump gambling into that category, because at the end of the day your body doesn't go into shock; it doesn't reject anything but the drug, and you won't become autoimmune-deficient without it (unless you are a psychosomatic type.)  It's not hard to get yourself away from gambling, and more importantly the offshore business.

    I believe you that you're off, Bling.  Also very happy for you.  Life, I'm sure becomes easier without that burden on you.  But I really don't see this place helping your cause of staying straight.  A gambler thrives off of impulse.  This place is filled with impulse-based ideas.

    Different from a drunk tank, this is more of a bar with people telling you, "just one drink isn't going to kill you."   I see people win here just as much as lose.  I can't imagine a drunk tank filled with success stories.  

    I love the entertainment of Covers on a given day.  But this would be one of the last forums I visited on my path to recovery from the offshore gaming business.  

    At the end of the day, though, to each their own I'm sure.  And I hope you stay straight and live life without burden or stress.  Squeezing the most of a utilitarianism-esque state of mind is knowing that what you're doing what helps not just you live a better life, but everybody around you who is important enough to change for.  Good luck.  

     

    Nice encouraging words.

     

     
    ironlionzion722
    ironlionzion722
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2008
    Posts: 2474
    Posted: Sep. 9, 2014 - 12:19 AM ET #15

    Yeah I quit after the Super Bowl last year even tho I had a great 2013 football season. Didn't bet Any baseball or basketball and really didn't miss it as much as I thought. Just focused on family, my job and working out. Even stayed away from covers. Just started last week for football season and it's nice coming back in with a clear head and fresh perspective. The year round betting can really burn you out and the stress is a killer.
    Reply
    Yeah I quit after the Super Bowl last year even tho I had a great 2013 football season. Didn't bet Any baseball or basketball and really didn't miss it as much as I thought. Just focused on family, my job and working out. Even stayed away from covers. Just started last week for football season and it's nice coming back in with a clear head and fresh perspective. The year round betting can really burn you out and the stress is a killer.
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8162
    Posted: Sep. 9, 2014 - 12:26 AM ET #16

    Bling---that's awesome news sir. 

    As for me, I took a hiatus from sports betting as of the MLB All Star break…and picked it back up week 1 of CFB. It was only a couple months but what a great couple months! Feeling fresh and excited about it again…had a nice start to college and pro football which is refreshing. Hope the feeling lasts. 
    Reply
    Bling---that's awesome news sir. 

    As for me, I took a hiatus from sports betting as of the MLB All Star break…and picked it back up week 1 of CFB. It was only a couple months but what a great couple months! Feeling fresh and excited about it again…had a nice start to college and pro football which is refreshing. Hope the feeling lasts. 
     
    earthWake
    earthWake
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2011
    Posts: 6196
    Posted: Sep. 9, 2014 - 12:42 AM ET #17

    I went to two pirates games this year. One I had money on and one I didn't. I had much more fun at the game where I had no money on the game. Even though I made a small profit on the game I did have money on. Made me more aware of how the stress is not worth it in the grand scheme of thing.
    Reply
    I went to two pirates games this year. One I had money on and one I didn't. I had much more fun at the game where I had no money on the game. Even though I made a small profit on the game I did have money on. Made me more aware of how the stress is not worth it in the grand scheme of thing.
     
    scalabrine
    scalabrine
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2006
    Posts: 28221
    Posted: Sep. 9, 2014 - 1:15 PM ET #18

    Quote Originally Posted by ironlionzion722:

    Yeah I quit after the Super Bowl last year even tho I had a great 2013 football season. Didn't bet Any baseball or basketball and really didn't miss it as much as I thought. Just focused on family, my job and working out. Even stayed away from covers. Just started last week for football season and it's nice coming back in with a clear head and fresh perspective. The year round betting can really burn you out and the stress is a killer.


    What in god's name is going on in that avatar...?
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ironlionzion722:

    Yeah I quit after the Super Bowl last year even tho I had a great 2013 football season. Didn't bet Any baseball or basketball and really didn't miss it as much as I thought. Just focused on family, my job and working out. Even stayed away from covers. Just started last week for football season and it's nice coming back in with a clear head and fresh perspective. The year round betting can really burn you out and the stress is a killer.


    What in god's name is going on in that avatar...?
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Sep. 9, 2014 - 2:25 PM ET #19

    GL Bling.

    The Jax loss this week had me read your post twice. 

    GL in the future.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply

    GL Bling.

    The Jax loss this week had me read your post twice. 

    GL in the future.

     
    iceman67
    iceman67
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2009
    Posts: 3253
    Posted: Sep. 9, 2014 - 2:39 PM ET #20

    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:



    What in god's name is going on in that avatar...?
    NO SHIIT!!     It looks like Mr. Wrestling II layed out in front of a Minecraft Creeper
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by scalabrine:



    What in god's name is going on in that avatar...?
    NO SHIIT!!     It looks like Mr. Wrestling II layed out in front of a Minecraft Creeper
     
    bunny651
    bunny651
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2009
    Posts: 6709
    Posted: Sep. 9, 2014 - 4:49 PM ET #21

    Good for you and GL
    Reply
    Good for you and GL
     
    Bling
    Bling
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 41476
    Posted: Sep. 9, 2014 - 10:53 PM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    GL Bling.

    The Jax loss this week had me read your post twice. 

    GL in the future.


    Thanks Van
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    GL Bling.

    The Jax loss this week had me read your post twice. 

    GL in the future.


    Thanks Van
     
    bizkilla
    bizkilla
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 1725
    Posted: Sep. 11, 2014 - 12:25 AM ET #23

    If you've found solace in fantasy sports then it's a good thing. You can Use your poker pedigree in this avenue of gambling. Because you're not asked to play against the spread, which is set by smarter men than you and I. Over the long term they're able to keep their margins slim. 
    I takes a lot to identify a weakness and take action. If ever you do decide to take another shot, look for a subjective situation that you are absolute and strong on that makes you feel like the oddsmakers messed up, bet it on that game. 
    Reply
    If you've found solace in fantasy sports then it's a good thing. You can Use your poker pedigree in this avenue of gambling. Because you're not asked to play against the spread, which is set by smarter men than you and I. Over the long term they're able to keep their margins slim. 
    I takes a lot to identify a weakness and take action. If ever you do decide to take another shot, look for a subjective situation that you are absolute and strong on that makes you feel like the oddsmakers messed up, bet it on that game. 
     
    greengrocer
    greengrocer
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 8707
    Posted: Sep. 21, 2014 - 10:01 PM ET #24

    Rw
    Reply
     
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Sep. 21, 2014 - 10:22 PM ET #25

    Don't even watch sports at all anymore - too much money lost in mlb. No interest.

    Get rid of the shovel and the hole won't get deeper.

    Reply

    Don't even watch sports at all anymore - too much money lost in mlb. No interest.

    Get rid of the shovel and the hole won't get deeper.

    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Serious Streak Survivor Strategies 1,918,284
    • PART DEUX 200
    • Falcons vs Saints in-game live MNF 1,815
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 104,817
    • ***Macwesties * Mon. Oct. 05, 2026 * Week #4 * MNF * NFL Football Play*** 3,159
    • Monday 10/05/2026 699
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,702
    • MNF 1,076
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 17,741
    • Lies, Inaccuracies & Stupidity 31,319

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.