• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | MLB Betting Forum

    To Tail, Or Not To Tail?

    12 Next Last»
    KeyElement
    diop
    LasVegasLord
    DKJNR
    mrenigma
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 2205
    Posts: 27
    12 Next Last»
     
    KeyElement
    KeyElement
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 23750
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 6:29 AM ET #1

    To Tail, Or Not To Tail? With all due apologies to Mr. Shakespeare, that is the question. I will open this blog with the opinion that, like most things on Covers, there has been more misinformation posted to date than truly worthy information. Every time the subject comes up there appear many posts criticizing tailing and saying “do it yourself.” What those posters seem to ignore is, do you have the time, resources and analytical ability and application talent to “do it yourself”. The two most dominant methods of handicapping are statistical analysis and game/player observation and there are people competent one way or the other that can do quite well.

     

    Where does this leave the guy or gal that knows they lack one, several, or all of the necessary prerequisites?  Should they simply refrain from putting a few bucks on a few games? Personally, I don’t feel that way. As far as I am concerned, anyone that keeps their wagering well within their means is doing nothing different than the people that choose to spend their disposable income on movies, spas, expensive clothes, expensive restaurants, cars and vacations. It is their money and their choice, BUT; winning is more fun, and less expensive, than losing. So, if they choose to tail a handicapper they have established faith in, who is to tell them not to?

    That being said, what should be the non handicappers’ criteria for tailing? The following is my humble opinion and anyone that agrees and religiously follows this method is welcome to report back in October and tells us if it was a worthy opinion or not, after all; beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    Now and then even a BLIND squirrel can find an acorn
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    To Tail, Or Not To Tail? With all due apologies to Mr. Shakespeare, that is the question. I will open this blog with the opinion that, like most things on Covers, there has been more misinformation posted to date than truly worthy information. Every time the subject comes up there appear many posts criticizing tailing and saying “do it yourself.” What those posters seem to ignore is, do you have the time, resources and analytical ability and application talent to “do it yourself”. The two most dominant methods of handicapping are statistical analysis and game/player observation and there are people competent one way or the other that can do quite well.

     

    Where does this leave the guy or gal that knows they lack one, several, or all of the necessary prerequisites?  Should they simply refrain from putting a few bucks on a few games? Personally, I don’t feel that way. As far as I am concerned, anyone that keeps their wagering well within their means is doing nothing different than the people that choose to spend their disposable income on movies, spas, expensive clothes, expensive restaurants, cars and vacations. It is their money and their choice, BUT; winning is more fun, and less expensive, than losing. So, if they choose to tail a handicapper they have established faith in, who is to tell them not to?

    That being said, what should be the non handicappers’ criteria for tailing? The following is my humble opinion and anyone that agrees and religiously follows this method is welcome to report back in October and tells us if it was a worthy opinion or not, after all; beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

     
    KeyElement
    KeyElement
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 23750
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 6:30 AM ET #2

    Choose, 5 to 10, not less nor more, handicappers to chart through April, possibly May or June, if there is no reason to change any of the original group. My suggestions would be people that have a tendency to write up an analysis, at least one paragraph, and tend to post early in the day, and retire for that day. People that pop up late, or throughout the day, especially with late games on the West Coast, are people that are not getting their work done efficiently and may by necessity not be getting deeply enough into their analysis of their choices. This is especially true of late posts on West Coast games, where the poster may well be chasing early losses, instead of calling it a day and eating his loss. Go to bed, tomorrow is another day. If one of your chosen group does post later it is important that the results get included in your chart, so revisit the posts of the people you follow the next morning, to be sure you did not miss a late pick. This will also alert you to people that consistently post late, a forewarning that will plant a little warning flag or speed bump in your own mind, for future reference.

    Chart your selected handicappers daily and without fail. I can not emphasize this enough. If you have time to look over the games yourself or attempt any mathematical, analytical analysis, you certainly have time for this. If you are looking to tail good handicappers you already have doubts about your own analytical ability anyway, so the time is probably better spent on the charting.

    Disregard, W-L record, Units, and the handicappers quoted line.

    W-L is irrelevant. A guy can go 10-6 and lose money if his average line was -175.

    Units are subject to interpretation and mean different things to different people.

    The quoted line is the single easiest thing to fudge and it is amazing how people justify it. “I played it last night.” “That’s what my local quoted me.” “Available at (insert book) at the time I played.” All nonsense, because it may or may not be available as you are reading the post. What matters to you is the line at the time you are reading the post and can actually get down on.

    Now and then even a BLIND squirrel can find an acorn
    Reply

    Choose, 5 to 10, not less nor more, handicappers to chart through April, possibly May or June, if there is no reason to change any of the original group. My suggestions would be people that have a tendency to write up an analysis, at least one paragraph, and tend to post early in the day, and retire for that day. People that pop up late, or throughout the day, especially with late games on the West Coast, are people that are not getting their work done efficiently and may by necessity not be getting deeply enough into their analysis of their choices. This is especially true of late posts on West Coast games, where the poster may well be chasing early losses, instead of calling it a day and eating his loss. Go to bed, tomorrow is another day. If one of your chosen group does post later it is important that the results get included in your chart, so revisit the posts of the people you follow the next morning, to be sure you did not miss a late pick. This will also alert you to people that consistently post late, a forewarning that will plant a little warning flag or speed bump in your own mind, for future reference.

    Chart your selected handicappers daily and without fail. I can not emphasize this enough. If you have time to look over the games yourself or attempt any mathematical, analytical analysis, you certainly have time for this. If you are looking to tail good handicappers you already have doubts about your own analytical ability anyway, so the time is probably better spent on the charting.

    Disregard, W-L record, Units, and the handicappers quoted line.

    W-L is irrelevant. A guy can go 10-6 and lose money if his average line was -175.

    Units are subject to interpretation and mean different things to different people.

    The quoted line is the single easiest thing to fudge and it is amazing how people justify it. “I played it last night.” “That’s what my local quoted me.” “Available at (insert book) at the time I played.” All nonsense, because it may or may not be available as you are reading the post. What matters to you is the line at the time you are reading the post and can actually get down on.

     
    KeyElement
    KeyElement
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 23750
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 6:31 AM ET #3

    Return on Risk, versus the lines you were able to get, is the only criteria that will completely level the playing field. Very, very easy to compute and chart. If the line you are able to get is -175 the return on risk for a winner is .5714 or $57.14 for a $100 wager (100/175). If the line is -145 the return on risk is .6897 or $68.97 for a $100 wager (100/145). It absolutely does not matter if you are an “add the juice” player, “flat amount player” or “add the juice, short play the dog” type of player, the results will always be the same and as accurate as mathematics can get. So; if the “add the juice player” wagers $175 to make $100, the return on risk is still .5714 (100/175).

    Now, that being said, the next problem is what to do with the handicapper that plays 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 “STARS” per game? I will leave it to the judgment of the individual to decide if the handicapper should be credited-debited for 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 plays, but for our purposes here I am going to ignore that, other than to say; always be leery of people with wide variances in the “stars” attached to a pick, it is often another way to manipulate results. The method is often used by services that offer 4 or 5 different levels of service so that 1 or 2 will look like a winner at any given time, and those are the 1 or 2 they will quote in the advertising. The oldest and possibly best attitude is that if you can’t win at 1 unit per pick, you probably aren’t a winner at all and the rest is just manipulation.

    Observation: During the early part of my work career I trained a lot of apprentices. I always found it better, or at least more comfortable, to train raw rookies as opposed to some with “a little experience.” The basic reason was that way I avoided the probability of having to retrain out some bad habits or techniques the kid may have learned from someone else. So; a lot of guys here are trying to gain some handicapping insight or training. That’s OK, just be careful who you listen to and ignore. That being said, what would I choose for an “apprentice” or raw rookie to bring from the ground up? Frankly, I would not care if that person (ladies eligible) had any sports or wagering knowledge at all. I would start with a fully trained Actuarial. One of those folks employed by insurance companies to determine the true probability of any given thing happening. All of gambling is a match of true probability versus quoted odds, so that being out of the way, we could progress quickly to the true impact of any given stat or condition on the probability of it affecting the outcome. Anyone here an actuarial?

    Best Of Luck 2 All

    Now and then even a BLIND squirrel can find an acorn
    Reply

    Return on Risk, versus the lines you were able to get, is the only criteria that will completely level the playing field. Very, very easy to compute and chart. If the line you are able to get is -175 the return on risk for a winner is .5714 or $57.14 for a $100 wager (100/175). If the line is -145 the return on risk is .6897 or $68.97 for a $100 wager (100/145). It absolutely does not matter if you are an “add the juice” player, “flat amount player” or “add the juice, short play the dog” type of player, the results will always be the same and as accurate as mathematics can get. So; if the “add the juice player” wagers $175 to make $100, the return on risk is still .5714 (100/175).

    Now, that being said, the next problem is what to do with the handicapper that plays 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 “STARS” per game? I will leave it to the judgment of the individual to decide if the handicapper should be credited-debited for 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 plays, but for our purposes here I am going to ignore that, other than to say; always be leery of people with wide variances in the “stars” attached to a pick, it is often another way to manipulate results. The method is often used by services that offer 4 or 5 different levels of service so that 1 or 2 will look like a winner at any given time, and those are the 1 or 2 they will quote in the advertising. The oldest and possibly best attitude is that if you can’t win at 1 unit per pick, you probably aren’t a winner at all and the rest is just manipulation.

    Observation: During the early part of my work career I trained a lot of apprentices. I always found it better, or at least more comfortable, to train raw rookies as opposed to some with “a little experience.” The basic reason was that way I avoided the probability of having to retrain out some bad habits or techniques the kid may have learned from someone else. So; a lot of guys here are trying to gain some handicapping insight or training. That’s OK, just be careful who you listen to and ignore. That being said, what would I choose for an “apprentice” or raw rookie to bring from the ground up? Frankly, I would not care if that person (ladies eligible) had any sports or wagering knowledge at all. I would start with a fully trained Actuarial. One of those folks employed by insurance companies to determine the true probability of any given thing happening. All of gambling is a match of true probability versus quoted odds, so that being out of the way, we could progress quickly to the true impact of any given stat or condition on the probability of it affecting the outcome. Anyone here an actuarial?

    Best Of Luck 2 All

     
    diop
    diop
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2010
    Posts: 896
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 6:40 AM ET #4

    Very good post Keyelement..

    Last season I found myself following different cappers each time and as a result lost money.

    I will decide to pick just one capper this time but I guess I am impatient to want to start following from day 1 as opposed to monitoring for the first month or so then picking one
    Reply
    Very good post Keyelement..

    Last season I found myself following different cappers each time and as a result lost money.

    I will decide to pick just one capper this time but I guess I am impatient to want to start following from day 1 as opposed to monitoring for the first month or so then picking one
     
    KeyElement
    KeyElement
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 23750
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 6:45 AM ET #5

    diop: You could easily choose 3 or more to chart while following 1 from day 1 (March 31). You would be in action immediately, but your mind would be open to change. Being open minded is something not seen often on posting forums.
    Now and then even a BLIND squirrel can find an acorn
    Reply
    diop: You could easily choose 3 or more to chart while following 1 from day 1 (March 31). You would be in action immediately, but your mind would be open to change. Being open minded is something not seen often on posting forums.
     
    LasVegasLord
    LasVegasLord
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2010
    Posts: 16883
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 12:14 PM ET #6

    Good Stuff.
    Reply
    Good Stuff.
     
    DKJNR
    DKJNR
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2008
    Posts: 2636
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 12:21 PM ET #7

    A good read, hopefully will help people to make better informed decisions and not just jump on bandwagons

    Reply

    A good read, hopefully will help people to make better informed decisions and not just jump on bandwagons

     
    mrenigma
    mrenigma
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 6709
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 12:32 PM ET #8

    Reply
     
    Steve_Holt
    Steve_Holt
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2010
    Posts: 1570
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 1:01 PM ET #9

    Put your ego aside and tail somebody if they are better than you. Plain and simple.

    The stupidest comment I have read here is cap your own games. And I've read that hundreds of times. Why the hell should I try to cap a college football game when I know for a fact 100% that there is somebody out there better than me and will make me more money than I will make myself? It makes zero sense.
    Reply
    Put your ego aside and tail somebody if they are better than you. Plain and simple.

    The stupidest comment I have read here is cap your own games. And I've read that hundreds of times. Why the hell should I try to cap a college football game when I know for a fact 100% that there is somebody out there better than me and will make me more money than I will make myself? It makes zero sense.
     
    BigGame90
    BigGame90
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2006
    Posts: 5069
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 2:56 PM ET #10

    People that pop up late, or throughout the day, especially with late games on the West Coast, are people that are not getting their work done efficiently and may by necessity not be getting deeply enough into their analysis of their choices.

    Line ups are not usually posted in the early morning. So people who are making plays the night before or early in the morning have no idea whats leading up to game time, and what the manager is thinking. So this statement is not accurate. Most people when playing baseball need to do the homework early and if they feel comfortable with any line up the team can put out there they can make a pick. However many teams do not have the same line up every day. What happens when there's a bench player that's been sitting for a week waiting for his start, now his team faces a pitcher in which hes hitting .600.  A person making a pick "early" wouldn't get that info or may not have seen him inserted into the 2 hole. Now he plays against him and he comes up in the 3rd and hits a 3 run bomb. ooopss didn't see that one coming. People who make picks early are just trying to sell garbage they "hope" is a good pick throughout the day. Sometimes the best picks are the picks made 5 minutes before the first pitch.

    With all that said I like your write up. I just had to pick this part apart because I felt you dropped off a bit right there. Maybe you rushed it...


    I do my homework, I do the research, I make good picks and I can win for you. Ill write up my opinions (sometimes i write too much) and more times then not, they seem to work out. Send me a message and i can add you to the list of people i send my info too. If i lose, you can follow my name on this site and bash all you want. Don't play my picks, just read and follow and see what happens. Maybe I catch a streak and you jump on board. Baseball is a game of runs.




    Reply
    People that pop up late, or throughout the day, especially with late games on the West Coast, are people that are not getting their work done efficiently and may by necessity not be getting deeply enough into their analysis of their choices.

    Line ups are not usually posted in the early morning. So people who are making plays the night before or early in the morning have no idea whats leading up to game time, and what the manager is thinking. So this statement is not accurate. Most people when playing baseball need to do the homework early and if they feel comfortable with any line up the team can put out there they can make a pick. However many teams do not have the same line up every day. What happens when there's a bench player that's been sitting for a week waiting for his start, now his team faces a pitcher in which hes hitting .600.  A person making a pick "early" wouldn't get that info or may not have seen him inserted into the 2 hole. Now he plays against him and he comes up in the 3rd and hits a 3 run bomb. ooopss didn't see that one coming. People who make picks early are just trying to sell garbage they "hope" is a good pick throughout the day. Sometimes the best picks are the picks made 5 minutes before the first pitch.

    With all that said I like your write up. I just had to pick this part apart because I felt you dropped off a bit right there. Maybe you rushed it...


    I do my homework, I do the research, I make good picks and I can win for you. Ill write up my opinions (sometimes i write too much) and more times then not, they seem to work out. Send me a message and i can add you to the list of people i send my info too. If i lose, you can follow my name on this site and bash all you want. Don't play my picks, just read and follow and see what happens. Maybe I catch a streak and you jump on board. Baseball is a game of runs.




     
    KeyElement
    KeyElement
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 23750
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 8:07 PM ET #11

    BigGame90: I can see your point too, but official lineups often are not available until 20 minutes before game time. The person posting, and the one intending to follow, would have a very hard time being available at a precise time like that on a consistent basis, especially if the follower is attempting to to chart 5 to 10 handicappers Most good handicappers (posters) have a feel for that or consider it heavily, like a day game after a night game when one or more veterans are likely to get the day off. Some guys even post a conditional pick, like "going to play team A if players abc and xyz are out for Team B." Some things are hard for both capper and follower to make an allowance for, but the burden is greater on the potential follower because he probably can not monitor the board all day waiting for 3, 4, 5 separate posts. Nothing is perfect and that one is hard hard to handle.
    BOL 
    Now and then even a BLIND squirrel can find an acorn
    Reply
    BigGame90: I can see your point too, but official lineups often are not available until 20 minutes before game time. The person posting, and the one intending to follow, would have a very hard time being available at a precise time like that on a consistent basis, especially if the follower is attempting to to chart 5 to 10 handicappers Most good handicappers (posters) have a feel for that or consider it heavily, like a day game after a night game when one or more veterans are likely to get the day off. Some guys even post a conditional pick, like "going to play team A if players abc and xyz are out for Team B." Some things are hard for both capper and follower to make an allowance for, but the burden is greater on the potential follower because he probably can not monitor the board all day waiting for 3, 4, 5 separate posts. Nothing is perfect and that one is hard hard to handle.
    BOL 
     
    nc1capper
    nc1capper
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2007
    Posts: 16348
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 10:32 PM ET #12

    my ? would be why--just dont see the fun or excitement invovled in following someone else thruout the season,,your coin, your call--natch--no way for me,,I want to make my own plays
    Reply
    my ? would be why--just dont see the fun or excitement invovled in following someone else thruout the season,,your coin, your call--natch--no way for me,,I want to make my own plays
     
    KillaG24
    KillaG24
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2006
    Posts: 345
    Posted: Mar. 5, 2011 - 11:54 PM ET #13

    Awsome thread....
    Reply
    Awsome thread....
     
    happycap
    happycap
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2006
    Posts: 23557
    Posted: Mar. 6, 2011 - 12:49 AM ET #14

    I understand one's desire to make his own plays in each sport he bets, and if you are doing this strictly for entertainment and capping is the part that entertains you (as opposed to making money per se) then that person shouldn't bother to tail... obviously. 

    However, why increase your risk of loss by sticking to your own capping when others are demonstrably better in a given sport, year in year out...? 

    If winning  is what matters to you you'd be a damn fool not to seriously consider tailing those who specialize in a given sport and do DAMN well at it on a consistent basis IMO.  To take it even further, there are some guys who can bang out the totals for a profit but can't pick sides to save their life ... I see this time and again - check out the contest pages and most guys will be way up in one or the other but also way down in the other category lol... Anyway, good idea for a thread, glad to see it here. 

    Reply

    I understand one's desire to make his own plays in each sport he bets, and if you are doing this strictly for entertainment and capping is the part that entertains you (as opposed to making money per se) then that person shouldn't bother to tail... obviously. 

    However, why increase your risk of loss by sticking to your own capping when others are demonstrably better in a given sport, year in year out...? 

    If winning  is what matters to you you'd be a damn fool not to seriously consider tailing those who specialize in a given sport and do DAMN well at it on a consistent basis IMO.  To take it even further, there are some guys who can bang out the totals for a profit but can't pick sides to save their life ... I see this time and again - check out the contest pages and most guys will be way up in one or the other but also way down in the other category lol... Anyway, good idea for a thread, glad to see it here. 

     
    KeyElement
    KeyElement
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 23750
    Posted: Mar. 6, 2011 - 7:29 AM ET #15

    Thank you all for your contributions. I just wanted to defend the guys that are looking for one or more handicappers to follow for the season so they can turn a substantial profit. Those guys should not be turned off by the threads suggesting a DIY attitude.

    Not everyone here on Covers or any other forum should:
    Tear down his transmission if it is making noise,
    Slaughter a steer if he wants a good steak,
    Attempt high wire walking, or,
    Cap his own games.

    I think if the dedicated follower will just track 5 to 10 handicappers through April, possibly May or June, and chart them by return on risk, he can have a very enjoyable and profitable season, while learning more himself from the write ups by those handicappers.

    Most folks are competent these days in Excel and it is very easy to set up charts as I have suggested. If anyone that has decided to do this needs suggestions for the chart I will be glad to help. Just post the request here or private message me and we will get it going. In any case, I hope now that there will be fewer guys that feel some sort of stigma about being followers. Only one author wrote War And Peace, but millions of readers have enjoyed it without feeling they could do it themselves.
    BOL
    Now and then even a BLIND squirrel can find an acorn
    Reply
    Thank you all for your contributions. I just wanted to defend the guys that are looking for one or more handicappers to follow for the season so they can turn a substantial profit. Those guys should not be turned off by the threads suggesting a DIY attitude.

    Not everyone here on Covers or any other forum should:
    Tear down his transmission if it is making noise,
    Slaughter a steer if he wants a good steak,
    Attempt high wire walking, or,
    Cap his own games.

    I think if the dedicated follower will just track 5 to 10 handicappers through April, possibly May or June, and chart them by return on risk, he can have a very enjoyable and profitable season, while learning more himself from the write ups by those handicappers.

    Most folks are competent these days in Excel and it is very easy to set up charts as I have suggested. If anyone that has decided to do this needs suggestions for the chart I will be glad to help. Just post the request here or private message me and we will get it going. In any case, I hope now that there will be fewer guys that feel some sort of stigma about being followers. Only one author wrote War And Peace, but millions of readers have enjoyed it without feeling they could do it themselves.
    BOL
     
    chasman
    chasman
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2010
    Posts: 620
    Posted: Mar. 6, 2011 - 6:07 PM ET #16

    Great stuff, KeyElement: Nobody likes to be talked down to or made to feel inferior. I've been betting pro and college football and cbb for a long time and I've done well over the years, but I still listen to other successful cappers.  As for betting baseball I'm smart enough to know being an avid fan for years, and being a veteran gambler in those other sports, does not make me a competent bb capper. For someone like me there are many benefits to tailing, Learning the complexities of bb betting while at the mercy of my book on a trial and error, learn as you go approach, would be, potentially, financial suicide. I've recently stated betting pro bb and have been tailing a poster named Bodio, along with a couple others, and have done quite well. My point in relating all this is if anyone that might be hesitant to tail, for whatever reason, such as ego or being told to 'do it yourself' forget that shit. Tailing can hasten the learning curve, save or win you money. A smart bettor uses all the tools, information, whatever at his disposal. IMHO and thank you for your post.
    Reply
    Great stuff, KeyElement: Nobody likes to be talked down to or made to feel inferior. I've been betting pro and college football and cbb for a long time and I've done well over the years, but I still listen to other successful cappers.  As for betting baseball I'm smart enough to know being an avid fan for years, and being a veteran gambler in those other sports, does not make me a competent bb capper. For someone like me there are many benefits to tailing, Learning the complexities of bb betting while at the mercy of my book on a trial and error, learn as you go approach, would be, potentially, financial suicide. I've recently stated betting pro bb and have been tailing a poster named Bodio, along with a couple others, and have done quite well. My point in relating all this is if anyone that might be hesitant to tail, for whatever reason, such as ego or being told to 'do it yourself' forget that shit. Tailing can hasten the learning curve, save or win you money. A smart bettor uses all the tools, information, whatever at his disposal. IMHO and thank you for your post.
     
    GDayMate
    GDayMate
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 2615
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2011 - 4:31 PM ET #17

    If you were offered $10000 to get the ball in the basket from the line and you had the choice of taking the throw yourself or having LeBron take it for you, which way would you go?

    Nevertheless I still like backing my own picks - probably more fool me!

    Reply

    If you were offered $10000 to get the ball in the basket from the line and you had the choice of taking the throw yourself or having LeBron take it for you, which way would you go?

    Nevertheless I still like backing my own picks - probably more fool me!

     
    JoeKool
    JoeKool
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2009
    Posts: 525
    Posted: Mar. 7, 2011 - 5:16 PM ET #18

    I prefer to make my own plays. I feel I have a strong knowledge of baseball and will live and die with my own picks. If you don't understand handicapping the game then maybe this sport isn't for you. But thats just my opinion. I mean, I know nothing about horse racing, so I wouldn't just start betting ponies and tailing somebody else.

    Last season I was on fire in April and May, I basically reached all my season goals in the first 2 months after a hot start.

    Well, from June through September, everything sank, and I ended up losing money.

    Now, I didn't post plays but if I did I'm sure most would have started tailing me after my successful start.........but they would have tailed after I reached my peak and would of tailed my downfall.

    Lets face it. Everybody has ups and downs, hot and cold streaks. So, my question is if your going to tail, how do you know when to jump in and when to jump out.

    Reply

    I prefer to make my own plays. I feel I have a strong knowledge of baseball and will live and die with my own picks. If you don't understand handicapping the game then maybe this sport isn't for you. But thats just my opinion. I mean, I know nothing about horse racing, so I wouldn't just start betting ponies and tailing somebody else.

    Last season I was on fire in April and May, I basically reached all my season goals in the first 2 months after a hot start.

    Well, from June through September, everything sank, and I ended up losing money.

    Now, I didn't post plays but if I did I'm sure most would have started tailing me after my successful start.........but they would have tailed after I reached my peak and would of tailed my downfall.

    Lets face it. Everybody has ups and downs, hot and cold streaks. So, my question is if your going to tail, how do you know when to jump in and when to jump out.

     
    KeyElement
    KeyElement
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2007
    Posts: 23750
    Posted: Mar. 8, 2011 - 7:39 AM ET #19

    JoeKool: "Lets face it. Everybody has ups and downs, hot and cold streaks. So, my question is if your going to tail, how do you know when to jump in and when to jump out."

    The original and still operative suggestion was to chart 5 to 10 cappers by Return On Risk and I would think it would become obvious to the follower who is hot and who is not. Given 10 at the start, 3 or 4 would separate themselves from the pack by June and it is unlikely all would streak at the same time, up or down, win or lose. It is also unlikely that since the follower started with 5-10 good reputation cappers they would stay down and blow early profits, as will definitely happen with those that just got a little lucky at the start of the season, or those that were touting their W-L record or "Units", both of which I pointed out were poor guidelines compared to Return On Risk, which is infallible.

    What it really boils down to is: If you are not a good handicapper, don't bother to handicap the games, handicap the handicappers.
    JMHO. BOL

    Now and then even a BLIND squirrel can find an acorn
    Reply
    JoeKool: "Lets face it. Everybody has ups and downs, hot and cold streaks. So, my question is if your going to tail, how do you know when to jump in and when to jump out."

    The original and still operative suggestion was to chart 5 to 10 cappers by Return On Risk and I would think it would become obvious to the follower who is hot and who is not. Given 10 at the start, 3 or 4 would separate themselves from the pack by June and it is unlikely all would streak at the same time, up or down, win or lose. It is also unlikely that since the follower started with 5-10 good reputation cappers they would stay down and blow early profits, as will definitely happen with those that just got a little lucky at the start of the season, or those that were touting their W-L record or "Units", both of which I pointed out were poor guidelines compared to Return On Risk, which is infallible.

    What it really boils down to is: If you are not a good handicapper, don't bother to handicap the games, handicap the handicappers.
    JMHO. BOL

     
    kaponofor3
    kaponofor3
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 35430
    Posted: Mar. 8, 2011 - 11:51 PM ET #20

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyElement:

    Return on Risk, versus the lines you were able to get, is the only criteria that will completely level the playing field. Very, very easy to compute and chart. If the line you are able to get is -175 the return on risk for a winner is .5714 or $57.14 for a $100 wager (100/175). If the line is -145 the return on risk is .6897 or $68.97 for a $100 wager (100/145). It absolutely does not matter if you are an “add the juice” player, “flat amount player” or “add the juice, short play the dog” type of player, the results will always be the same and as accurate as mathematics can get. So; if the “add the juice player” wagers $175 to make $100, the return on risk is still .5714 (100/175).

    Now, that being said, the next problem is what to do with the handicapper that plays 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 “STARS” per game? I will leave it to the judgment of the individual to decide if the handicapper should be credited-debited for 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 plays, but for our purposes here I am going to ignore that, other than to say; always be leery of people with wide variances in the “stars” attached to a pick, it is often another way to manipulate results. The method is often used by services that offer 4 or 5 different levels of service so that 1 or 2 will look like a winner at any given time, and those are the 1 or 2 they will quote in the advertising. The oldest and possibly best attitude is that if you can’t win at 1 unit per pick, you probably aren’t a winner at all and the rest is just manipulation.

    Observation: During the early part of my work career I trained a lot of apprentices. I always found it better, or at least more comfortable, to train raw rookies as opposed to some with “a little experience.” The basic reason was that way I avoided the probability of having to retrain out some bad habits or techniques the kid may have learned from someone else. So; a lot of guys here are trying to gain some handicapping insight or training. That’s OK, just be careful who you listen to and ignore. That being said, what would I choose for an “apprentice” or raw rookie to bring from the ground up? Frankly, I would not care if that person (ladies eligible) had any sports or wagering knowledge at all. I would start with a fully trained Actuarial. One of those folks employed by insurance companies to determine the true probability of any given thing happening. All of gambling is a match of true probability versus quoted odds, so that being out of the way, we could progress quickly to the true impact of any given stat or condition on the probability of it affecting the outcome. Anyone here an actuarial?

    Best Of Luck 2 All





    Phenomenal post, Key. Look forward to your stuff this year.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyElement:

    Return on Risk, versus the lines you were able to get, is the only criteria that will completely level the playing field. Very, very easy to compute and chart. If the line you are able to get is -175 the return on risk for a winner is .5714 or $57.14 for a $100 wager (100/175). If the line is -145 the return on risk is .6897 or $68.97 for a $100 wager (100/145). It absolutely does not matter if you are an “add the juice” player, “flat amount player” or “add the juice, short play the dog” type of player, the results will always be the same and as accurate as mathematics can get. So; if the “add the juice player” wagers $175 to make $100, the return on risk is still .5714 (100/175).

    Now, that being said, the next problem is what to do with the handicapper that plays 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 “STARS” per game? I will leave it to the judgment of the individual to decide if the handicapper should be credited-debited for 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 plays, but for our purposes here I am going to ignore that, other than to say; always be leery of people with wide variances in the “stars” attached to a pick, it is often another way to manipulate results. The method is often used by services that offer 4 or 5 different levels of service so that 1 or 2 will look like a winner at any given time, and those are the 1 or 2 they will quote in the advertising. The oldest and possibly best attitude is that if you can’t win at 1 unit per pick, you probably aren’t a winner at all and the rest is just manipulation.

    Observation: During the early part of my work career I trained a lot of apprentices. I always found it better, or at least more comfortable, to train raw rookies as opposed to some with “a little experience.” The basic reason was that way I avoided the probability of having to retrain out some bad habits or techniques the kid may have learned from someone else. So; a lot of guys here are trying to gain some handicapping insight or training. That’s OK, just be careful who you listen to and ignore. That being said, what would I choose for an “apprentice” or raw rookie to bring from the ground up? Frankly, I would not care if that person (ladies eligible) had any sports or wagering knowledge at all. I would start with a fully trained Actuarial. One of those folks employed by insurance companies to determine the true probability of any given thing happening. All of gambling is a match of true probability versus quoted odds, so that being out of the way, we could progress quickly to the true impact of any given stat or condition on the probability of it affecting the outcome. Anyone here an actuarial?

    Best Of Luck 2 All





    Phenomenal post, Key. Look forward to your stuff this year.
     
    KOTBO
    KOTBO
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2008
    Posts: 1567
    Posted: Mar. 9, 2011 - 12:31 AM ET #21

    What it really boils down to is: If you are not a good handicapper, don't bother to handicap the games, handicap the handicappers. 

    Along With If You Don't Have The Time............
    Reply
    What it really boils down to is: If you are not a good handicapper, don't bother to handicap the games, handicap the handicappers. 

    Along With If You Don't Have The Time............
     
    glyde69
    glyde69
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 7445
    Posted: Mar. 9, 2011 - 8:32 AM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by GDayMate:

    If you were offered $10000 to get the ball in the basket from the line and you had the choice of taking the throw yourself or having LeBron take it for you, which way would you go?

    Nevertheless I still like backing my own picks - probably more fool me!

    I haven't shot a basketball in 6 years, but I would put my money on myself in a FT competition with LeBron.  It boggles my mind that professionals can't all shoot 90%.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by GDayMate:

    If you were offered $10000 to get the ball in the basket from the line and you had the choice of taking the throw yourself or having LeBron take it for you, which way would you go?

    Nevertheless I still like backing my own picks - probably more fool me!

    I haven't shot a basketball in 6 years, but I would put my money on myself in a FT competition with LeBron.  It boggles my mind that professionals can't all shoot 90%.

     
    papagunnz
    papagunnz
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 333
    Posted: Jun. 5, 2011 - 5:06 AM ET #23

    hey key i found your article very useful...and i agree with a lot of your points due to the fact that i also tail cappers...i friend requested you so i can send you a PM about a few questions regarding your thread here...hope you still sign on here! thanks dude!
    Reply
    hey key i found your article very useful...and i agree with a lot of your points due to the fact that i also tail cappers...i friend requested you so i can send you a PM about a few questions regarding your thread here...hope you still sign on here! thanks dude!
     
    Fishscale
    Fishscale
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2010
    Posts: 5413
    Posted: Jun. 5, 2011 - 5:33 AM ET #24

    Tailing is fun and dangerous.  I work a lot and I remember I was doing crazy hours at the beginning of the NBA season and found a thread one night with some guys that were making these insane 1Q and half totals in NBA.  I briefly checked his last thread and he seemed to do well so I thought, this is great, I'll wait till he posts the plays and tail him.

    I started small and went 0-4 on the first batch of plays.  So I doubled up thinking we got the losses out the way.  For the rest of the night I watched in horror as I went 3-16, increasing bets with each play trying to dig myself out.  

    All in all I lost over 5K that night which really hurt.  I was furious, I wanted to punch a hole in the computer screen.  Of course it was my fault.  I checked his thread the next night and he went 14-2 or some shit.  But by that point I had written him off for good.


    Reply
    Tailing is fun and dangerous.  I work a lot and I remember I was doing crazy hours at the beginning of the NBA season and found a thread one night with some guys that were making these insane 1Q and half totals in NBA.  I briefly checked his last thread and he seemed to do well so I thought, this is great, I'll wait till he posts the plays and tail him.

    I started small and went 0-4 on the first batch of plays.  So I doubled up thinking we got the losses out the way.  For the rest of the night I watched in horror as I went 3-16, increasing bets with each play trying to dig myself out.  

    All in all I lost over 5K that night which really hurt.  I was furious, I wanted to punch a hole in the computer screen.  Of course it was my fault.  I checked his thread the next night and he went 14-2 or some shit.  But by that point I had written him off for good.


     
     
    unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2008
    Posts: 2043
    Posted: Jun. 5, 2011 - 5:38 AM ET #25

    Reply
    All Forums | MLB Betting Forum
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,673
    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 457,315
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 269,052
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 103,772
    • MLB Playoffs 5,417
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,448
    • ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 5,708
    • **$$$ MD Saturday 10/3 $$$** 7,359
    • Sunday nFl Wk 4 6,209
    • Breathtaking ....truly 36,298

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.