• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    General Thoughts on Gambling

    123 Next Last»
    TxG31
    nfl_brosuf
    Lewis1218
    Natty68
    vetdrm
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3850
    Posts: 54
    123 Next Last»
     
    TxG31
    TxG31
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2023
    Posts: 4
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2023 - 12:33 PM ET #1

    I have been an unregistered user of this site off and on for 20 years plus. Lots of highs and lows through these years. As I'm getting older, to me gambling has become more of a hobby (expensive one), but one I am willing to pay for as it's one of the few activities in life I look forward to. One thing I am starting to notice (but has always been there) and would like some feedback on is this obsession with what side the money is on and how that is so important to know. If you know this info you can't lose cause vegas doesn't lose right? Well my thoughts on this have become IT DOESN'T MATTER, Vegas can give two sh*ts about any one single game, they are there for the long run and if u win 1 million dollars cause they made a "mistake" they are only gonna get it back tenfold over the course of your lifetime. Some of the biggest gamblers I know all won big their first time gambling, and guess what...you already know what happened. Please let me know if my thought process makes sense here or if it's just my personal experience.It just seems to me like the gambling industry is fueled by addiction and that fact alone makes any one game or any one bet irrelevant. No one or very few will win big and walk away for good. 

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    I have been an unregistered user of this site off and on for 20 years plus. Lots of highs and lows through these years. As I'm getting older, to me gambling has become more of a hobby (expensive one), but one I am willing to pay for as it's one of the few activities in life I look forward to. One thing I am starting to notice (but has always been there) and would like some feedback on is this obsession with what side the money is on and how that is so important to know. If you know this info you can't lose cause vegas doesn't lose right? Well my thoughts on this have become IT DOESN'T MATTER, Vegas can give two sh*ts about any one single game, they are there for the long run and if u win 1 million dollars cause they made a "mistake" they are only gonna get it back tenfold over the course of your lifetime. Some of the biggest gamblers I know all won big their first time gambling, and guess what...you already know what happened. Please let me know if my thought process makes sense here or if it's just my personal experience.It just seems to me like the gambling industry is fueled by addiction and that fact alone makes any one game or any one bet irrelevant. No one or very few will win big and walk away for good. 

     
    nfl_brosuf
    nfl_brosuf
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2011
    Posts: 11679
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2023 - 12:45 PM ET #2

    I tell you what.  I been doing this for a long time and got helped.  Stopped after 5dimes went under.  How long has it been?  Been that long and with no sports gambling, I stayed away from this site plus stopped watching sports all together.  I just got back in again because a friend made me an account with him because he's my bookie.  I was ok, betting small unit for fun then I started losing.  Then the units got larger and larger.  Then the chase because I'm a sore loser.  

     

    I went into lapse last weekend.  I stayed in my bed on Sat n played ncaaf all day, one after the next.  Then woke up on Sunday just to do it all again with the NFL.  I could not get anything done.  This was my life before and I went back into it.  Nevermore.  

    Now I'll have control.  Ok I'm still a loser but still in control.  I'm not couch potato anymore.  I'll bet it n forget about it.  When you see me here n making noise, it means I have time to engage with sports.  Not today though.  I want to have s life too.  

    Take care of yourself. 

    X_____________________________
    Reply

    I tell you what.  I been doing this for a long time and got helped.  Stopped after 5dimes went under.  How long has it been?  Been that long and with no sports gambling, I stayed away from this site plus stopped watching sports all together.  I just got back in again because a friend made me an account with him because he's my bookie.  I was ok, betting small unit for fun then I started losing.  Then the units got larger and larger.  Then the chase because I'm a sore loser.  

     

    I went into lapse last weekend.  I stayed in my bed on Sat n played ncaaf all day, one after the next.  Then woke up on Sunday just to do it all again with the NFL.  I could not get anything done.  This was my life before and I went back into it.  Nevermore.  

    Now I'll have control.  Ok I'm still a loser but still in control.  I'm not couch potato anymore.  I'll bet it n forget about it.  When you see me here n making noise, it means I have time to engage with sports.  Not today though.  I want to have s life too.  

    Take care of yourself. 

     
    Lewis1218
    Lewis1218
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2017
    Posts: 4952
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2023 - 12:52 PM ET #3

    @TxG31

     There’s a documentary from ARTE on YouTube that came out yesterday about sports gambling. According to them, 99% of sports gamblers lose in the long run. It’s that bad. I have been sports gambling for 12 years and I’ve lost an average of $5000 a year. Lol. It’s life, I also consider this a hobby. Like I tell my family, they like going abroad to travel, and I like staying home and gambling. It’s life. Lol. But you’re right, Vegas is in for the long run. The only way to make money would be to become a bookie. My brother and I always joke about that. 

    Happy Thanksgiving! Good luck to all!! clover

    Reply

    @TxG31

     There’s a documentary from ARTE on YouTube that came out yesterday about sports gambling. According to them, 99% of sports gamblers lose in the long run. It’s that bad. I have been sports gambling for 12 years and I’ve lost an average of $5000 a year. Lol. It’s life, I also consider this a hobby. Like I tell my family, they like going abroad to travel, and I like staying home and gambling. It’s life. Lol. But you’re right, Vegas is in for the long run. The only way to make money would be to become a bookie. My brother and I always joke about that. 

    Happy Thanksgiving! Good luck to all!! clover

     
    Natty68
    Natty68
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2014
    Posts: 3310
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2023 - 12:57 PM ET #4

    Throwing a few bux on a game you have no real interest in makes for an infinitely more enjoyable experience.  Just know you're not going to bring down the house and get quit-your-job rich.   Should feel nice when you win and sting a little when you lose.  Obviously it SHOULDN'T be chit.....now I can't pay my car note or mortgage or.....worse. 

    As long as they pretend to pay me I will pretend to work
    Reply

    Throwing a few bux on a game you have no real interest in makes for an infinitely more enjoyable experience.  Just know you're not going to bring down the house and get quit-your-job rich.   Should feel nice when you win and sting a little when you lose.  Obviously it SHOULDN'T be chit.....now I can't pay my car note or mortgage or.....worse. 

     
    vetdrm
    vetdrm
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2003
    Posts: 14979
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2023 - 12:58 PM ET #5

    not now

    Reply

    not now

     
    Guy_2U
    Guy_2U
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2008
    Posts: 1367
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2023 - 1:10 PM ET #6

    Gaming should be treated as an entertainment venue; the issues start when trying to use it as earned income.

    Happy Holidays and Best Wishes!

    Reply

    Gaming should be treated as an entertainment venue; the issues start when trying to use it as earned income.

    Happy Holidays and Best Wishes!

     
    DefenseWinsSB
    DefenseWinsSB
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2023
    Posts: 2777
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2023 - 1:17 PM ET #7

    Quote Originally Posted by TxG31:

    I have been an unregistered user of this site off and on for 20 years plus. Lots of highs and lows through these years. As I'm getting older, to me gambling has become more of a hobby (expensive one), but one I am willing to pay for as it's one of the few activities in life I look forward to. One thing I am starting to notice (but has always been there) and would like some feedback on is this obsession with what side the money is on and how that is so important to know. If you know this info you can't lose cause vegas doesn't lose right? Well my thoughts on this have become IT DOESN'T MATTER, Vegas can give two sh*ts about any one single game, they are there for the long run and if u win 1 million dollars cause they made a "mistake" they are only gonna get it back tenfold over the course of your lifetime. Some of the biggest gamblers I know all won big their first time gambling, and guess what...you already know what happened. Please let me know if my thought process makes sense here or if it's just my personal experience.It just seems to me like the gambling industry is fueled by addiction and that fact alone makes any one game or any one bet irrelevant. No one or very few will win big and walk away for good.
    you make sense dude. I’ve discovered betting for 20 years that this is impossible. I believe you have to have an algorithm, a ton of luck, and bankroll management. If you don’t have a science that’s smarter than the books it’s never happening. The only guy I know who wins year after year is vanzack and he prolly lives off of it but I don’t think anyone really knows. Who knows he might not but it seems like he’s rich from it

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by TxG31:

    I have been an unregistered user of this site off and on for 20 years plus. Lots of highs and lows through these years. As I'm getting older, to me gambling has become more of a hobby (expensive one), but one I am willing to pay for as it's one of the few activities in life I look forward to. One thing I am starting to notice (but has always been there) and would like some feedback on is this obsession with what side the money is on and how that is so important to know. If you know this info you can't lose cause vegas doesn't lose right? Well my thoughts on this have become IT DOESN'T MATTER, Vegas can give two sh*ts about any one single game, they are there for the long run and if u win 1 million dollars cause they made a "mistake" they are only gonna get it back tenfold over the course of your lifetime. Some of the biggest gamblers I know all won big their first time gambling, and guess what...you already know what happened. Please let me know if my thought process makes sense here or if it's just my personal experience.It just seems to me like the gambling industry is fueled by addiction and that fact alone makes any one game or any one bet irrelevant. No one or very few will win big and walk away for good.
    you make sense dude. I’ve discovered betting for 20 years that this is impossible. I believe you have to have an algorithm, a ton of luck, and bankroll management. If you don’t have a science that’s smarter than the books it’s never happening. The only guy I know who wins year after year is vanzack and he prolly lives off of it but I don’t think anyone really knows. Who knows he might not but it seems like he’s rich from it

     
    Raidaa
    Raidaa
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2023
    Posts: 82
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2023 - 1:20 PM ET #8

    @TxG31

     I agree that 1 game doesn't matter to Vegas and lot of public plays do win. I really think it's impossible to pick winners consistently in the NFL or any other sport. We do it for the high of watching the game and trying to pick the right side. Anybody who says they make money consistently in the NFL is fooling themselves. It should be a hobby as long as you can handle the losses financially. It's fun to sports bet and squeeze on the games. I've lost hundreds of thousands between Vegas and local bookies but retired now so I don't bet anymore. It's a losing proposition to sports bet but it's sooo addicting because of the high.

     

    Reply

    @TxG31

     I agree that 1 game doesn't matter to Vegas and lot of public plays do win. I really think it's impossible to pick winners consistently in the NFL or any other sport. We do it for the high of watching the game and trying to pick the right side. Anybody who says they make money consistently in the NFL is fooling themselves. It should be a hobby as long as you can handle the losses financially. It's fun to sports bet and squeeze on the games. I've lost hundreds of thousands between Vegas and local bookies but retired now so I don't bet anymore. It's a losing proposition to sports bet but it's sooo addicting because of the high.

     

     
    Fuse
    Fuse
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2016
    Posts: 84738
    Posted: Nov. 23, 2023 - 1:40 PM ET #9

    Interesting peaceclover

    Learn, be content and stay disciplined.
    Reply

    Interesting peaceclover

     
    brn2loslive2win
    brn2loslive2win
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2016
    Posts: 2703
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 12:19 AM ET #10

    @TxG31

     Here’s my take on this - it means absolutely nothing what side is taking all the action on a specific game. Vegas loses big on some games and wins big on others. The goal of the bookmakers will always be to make money on the vig which they are guaranteed to do in the long run. 

    BUT- you can use this information to your advantage! When one side takes heavy action that is telling you that the line will reflect that. SO, if you want to bet the favorite get your bets in early to get the best line before it gets bet up to a number you’re no longer comfortable with. If you want the dog wait until the line hits it’s peak to get as many points as possible. peace_5

    Reply

    @TxG31

     Here’s my take on this - it means absolutely nothing what side is taking all the action on a specific game. Vegas loses big on some games and wins big on others. The goal of the bookmakers will always be to make money on the vig which they are guaranteed to do in the long run. 

    BUT- you can use this information to your advantage! When one side takes heavy action that is telling you that the line will reflect that. SO, if you want to bet the favorite get your bets in early to get the best line before it gets bet up to a number you’re no longer comfortable with. If you want the dog wait until the line hits it’s peak to get as many points as possible. peace_5

     
    PepeFrog
    PepeFrog
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2020
    Posts: 458
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 1:14 AM ET #11

    Anyone new to sports betting should bet less than $10 per bet. You can have fun gambling while at the same time not losing your life savings.

    Reply

    Anyone new to sports betting should bet less than $10 per bet. You can have fun gambling while at the same time not losing your life savings.

     
    Paal
    Paal
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2022
    Posts: 1149
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 1:26 AM ET #12

    Survive! 

    Reply

    Survive! 

     
    Macwestie1
    Macwestie1
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2004
    Posts: 171436
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 1:31 AM ET #13

    goodthread   goodpost ‘S
    Most of you have  hit the nail on the head so to speak very interesting read indeed peace_5

    It was not a good day for me at least but I’ll manage, tomorrow’s another day.

    new_nervous

    What do you call an Eternal Optimist? An accordion player with a beeper!
    Reply

    goodthread   goodpost ‘S
    Most of you have  hit the nail on the head so to speak very interesting read indeed peace_5

    It was not a good day for me at least but I’ll manage, tomorrow’s another day.

    new_nervous

     
    tech65
    tech65
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2014
    Posts: 10076
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 8:27 AM ET #14

    That public info meant something back in the 80s and 90s. But now its available to everyone and with sports books everywhere none of that matters. Live betting changes all of that as soon as the ball is kicked anyway..

    Reply

    That public info meant something back in the 80s and 90s. But now its available to everyone and with sports books everywhere none of that matters. Live betting changes all of that as soon as the ball is kicked anyway..

     
    clark17
    clark17
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 1984
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 9:46 AM ET #15

    @tech65

     I completely agree there is not much of a competitive edge i use to bye every news paper in the 90s just looking for any info that may help me crush the book  now you can find it all with a click of a button.  Gambling today is way harder than it us to be and really not worth the time if you're goal is to win money.

    Reply

    @tech65

     I completely agree there is not much of a competitive edge i use to bye every news paper in the 90s just looking for any info that may help me crush the book  now you can find it all with a click of a button.  Gambling today is way harder than it us to be and really not worth the time if you're goal is to win money.

     
    User854910
    User854910
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2018
    Posts: 4581
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 9:57 AM ET #16

    Post Deleted
    Don't let the book set the number
    Reply
    Post Deleted
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 10:31 AM ET #17

    Well thought out and written responses.  This comes up from time to time here, and I always like reading these threads.

    Another perspective...

    Sports gambling is difficult, but everyone wants it to be easy.  That might be the simplest way to describe why so many lose and so few win.  For me - about 25 years ago I made a decision that if I wanted to keep sports gambling, I didnt want to lose anymore.  So I put in a ton of work.  I figured some stuff out.  I studied (literally took college courses on stats, game theory, and probability).  I put in the hours, hundreds and thousands of them.

    I took the emotion out also.  This is a key.  It is really hard to be successful long term with emotions.

    I have been able to make a career out of this and do very well.  But only because of the discipline.  And a few other ingredients in the soup....

    1.  I have made handicapping far less important than what it is to the average sports bettor.  I do this by increasing consistency, and decreasing standard deviations.  Someone recently posted in one of my threads (as an insult) that I am "good, but not great".  That is a huge compliment for me.  I want to be reliably and consistently good for a long period of time.  That is enough.

    2.  Multiple streams of gambling income.  Covers format really only allows picks.  But for me - I buy and sell lines all week - very often resulting in games where I have zero risk and lots of upside.  But either way, this is a huge income stream.  It takes a lot of work.  I stare at screens all day.  I work to have dozens of outs at every sports book. 

    3.  Reliable OBJECTIVE models.  Forget how you feel.  You need some kind of stats model that works predicting some kind of results.  

    4.  Zero emotions making decisions.  Treat it like a business.  Treat everything like a process.  Consistency.

    5.  For me - I only do this for about 8 months a year.  That has proven to be great for me.  I get time to recharge, learn new things, improve my process.

    This has resulted in a life where I havent had a real job, and a life that has long periods of vacations.  It also has downsides.  Many.  But overall - it has been great for me and my family.  I would have never been this successful in a real job in the real world, so I am thankful.  It also has resulted in an infinite bankroll.  I realize how that sounds - but I literally do not have a bankroll anymore.  The amount I need to bet to reach my goals is way lower than what my bankroll would be - so I dont even worry about it anymore.

    Put the work in.  Find your own slice of the pie that can be replicated.  It aint about picks.  Picks dont mean much.  You need process.  Replicable process.

    So instead of looking at it as "winners" and "losers", I look at it as people who want to win and people who want to have a hobby or have fun.  If you want to win - you have to wash your brain of all of these bad habits like actually caring about what the OP wrote about bet percentages (they mean absolutely ZERO).  Wash yourself of the noise.  You have to commit to learning, and finding a process.

    Everyone will read this and think this is them.  It is not.  It is not for you.  You dont do this currently - no matter how much you think you do.  You have no idea what this takes.  But it is possible.

    Continued GL to all.

    peace_5

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply

    Well thought out and written responses.  This comes up from time to time here, and I always like reading these threads.

    Another perspective...

    Sports gambling is difficult, but everyone wants it to be easy.  That might be the simplest way to describe why so many lose and so few win.  For me - about 25 years ago I made a decision that if I wanted to keep sports gambling, I didnt want to lose anymore.  So I put in a ton of work.  I figured some stuff out.  I studied (literally took college courses on stats, game theory, and probability).  I put in the hours, hundreds and thousands of them.

    I took the emotion out also.  This is a key.  It is really hard to be successful long term with emotions.

    I have been able to make a career out of this and do very well.  But only because of the discipline.  And a few other ingredients in the soup....

    1.  I have made handicapping far less important than what it is to the average sports bettor.  I do this by increasing consistency, and decreasing standard deviations.  Someone recently posted in one of my threads (as an insult) that I am "good, but not great".  That is a huge compliment for me.  I want to be reliably and consistently good for a long period of time.  That is enough.

    2.  Multiple streams of gambling income.  Covers format really only allows picks.  But for me - I buy and sell lines all week - very often resulting in games where I have zero risk and lots of upside.  But either way, this is a huge income stream.  It takes a lot of work.  I stare at screens all day.  I work to have dozens of outs at every sports book. 

    3.  Reliable OBJECTIVE models.  Forget how you feel.  You need some kind of stats model that works predicting some kind of results.  

    4.  Zero emotions making decisions.  Treat it like a business.  Treat everything like a process.  Consistency.

    5.  For me - I only do this for about 8 months a year.  That has proven to be great for me.  I get time to recharge, learn new things, improve my process.

    This has resulted in a life where I havent had a real job, and a life that has long periods of vacations.  It also has downsides.  Many.  But overall - it has been great for me and my family.  I would have never been this successful in a real job in the real world, so I am thankful.  It also has resulted in an infinite bankroll.  I realize how that sounds - but I literally do not have a bankroll anymore.  The amount I need to bet to reach my goals is way lower than what my bankroll would be - so I dont even worry about it anymore.

    Put the work in.  Find your own slice of the pie that can be replicated.  It aint about picks.  Picks dont mean much.  You need process.  Replicable process.

    So instead of looking at it as "winners" and "losers", I look at it as people who want to win and people who want to have a hobby or have fun.  If you want to win - you have to wash your brain of all of these bad habits like actually caring about what the OP wrote about bet percentages (they mean absolutely ZERO).  Wash yourself of the noise.  You have to commit to learning, and finding a process.

    Everyone will read this and think this is them.  It is not.  It is not for you.  You dont do this currently - no matter how much you think you do.  You have no idea what this takes.  But it is possible.

    Continued GL to all.

    peace_5

     
    RayRayK
    RayRayK
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 12942
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 10:44 AM ET #18

    A small percentage of gamblers make money but they aren’t like everyone else. They are more like accountants , they don’t eager for fun and excitement Ever - They don’t wager every day , they watch and wait for strong situations which takes incredible discipline that few possess. Timing , Discipline and Money Management are huge factors. People who gamble every day Lose. People who bet multiple games every day lose more. Gambling is a Very powerful addiction that’s why Gamblers Anonymous meetings are 3 hours and Alcohol Anonymous meetings are one hour ! Gambling is a horrible addiction that has ruined many lives ,,,,Our lives are based on the decisions that we make and we make them every day - If you can’t wager like an Accountant, than one should wager very small amounts for entertainment as long as it doesn’t get in the way of their goals because not only does one lose money , we lose Time as well .  A wise person doesn’t get involved w gambling or drugs. That’s my opinion. 

     

    Reply

    A small percentage of gamblers make money but they aren’t like everyone else. They are more like accountants , they don’t eager for fun and excitement Ever - They don’t wager every day , they watch and wait for strong situations which takes incredible discipline that few possess. Timing , Discipline and Money Management are huge factors. People who gamble every day Lose. People who bet multiple games every day lose more. Gambling is a Very powerful addiction that’s why Gamblers Anonymous meetings are 3 hours and Alcohol Anonymous meetings are one hour ! Gambling is a horrible addiction that has ruined many lives ,,,,Our lives are based on the decisions that we make and we make them every day - If you can’t wager like an Accountant, than one should wager very small amounts for entertainment as long as it doesn’t get in the way of their goals because not only does one lose money , we lose Time as well .  A wise person doesn’t get involved w gambling or drugs. That’s my opinion. 

     

     
    M-M
    M-M
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2012
    Posts: 219
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 11:20 AM ET #19

    They are corporations now and in the stock market. Do you think they don’t care about squeezing the most they can when ever they can. They do care about primetime games. They will sell their mothers teeth if it had gold in them. Once you start winning they will limit you or ban you. They spend millions trying to figure out who is a smart bettor or recreational, and they only want recreational. Not all books according to Vanzak. Find a system and stick to it is the only way. Sometimes when you are constantly winning you have to loose on purpose just to try to throw the books off.  Arbitrage is another subject but also profitable. Just remember one thing. Who pays the players and coaches, the NFL. Who pays the NFL , the networks and who pays the networks, the commercials. So why do they massage the games is so you keep watching till the end. If the game is 28 to 14 on a -10 spread. Only the bettors will watch the end. And if they win all the time they will not be watching tv. They will be in their yachts. So loosing keeps you coming back. Only a system can have an edge and it only depends on how much you bet each game. 100 dollars vs 10,000 is a world of difference. Hence. Getting limited if you are profitable. 

    Reply

    They are corporations now and in the stock market. Do you think they don’t care about squeezing the most they can when ever they can. They do care about primetime games. They will sell their mothers teeth if it had gold in them. Once you start winning they will limit you or ban you. They spend millions trying to figure out who is a smart bettor or recreational, and they only want recreational. Not all books according to Vanzak. Find a system and stick to it is the only way. Sometimes when you are constantly winning you have to loose on purpose just to try to throw the books off.  Arbitrage is another subject but also profitable. Just remember one thing. Who pays the players and coaches, the NFL. Who pays the NFL , the networks and who pays the networks, the commercials. So why do they massage the games is so you keep watching till the end. If the game is 28 to 14 on a -10 spread. Only the bettors will watch the end. And if they win all the time they will not be watching tv. They will be in their yachts. So loosing keeps you coming back. Only a system can have an edge and it only depends on how much you bet each game. 100 dollars vs 10,000 is a world of difference. Hence. Getting limited if you are profitable. 

     
    clark17
    clark17
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2009
    Posts: 1984
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 2:34 PM ET #20

    @vanzack

     I agree with most of what you said the only thing i do not agree with is taking your gut our heart out of making a wager yes numbers do not  lie and in the long run they usually  will play out but a gamble is a gamble not much different from the stock market we all need luck to get ahead.  My biggest win in my life was 56 000 dollars on a proline ncaa football pool played all of 80 dollars invested drunk as a skunk and went 15-16 for 1 winner OLG lottery proline has to been 20 years now but i still talk about it in my local bar and yes i probably gave it all back and then some.

    Reply

    @vanzack

     I agree with most of what you said the only thing i do not agree with is taking your gut our heart out of making a wager yes numbers do not  lie and in the long run they usually  will play out but a gamble is a gamble not much different from the stock market we all need luck to get ahead.  My biggest win in my life was 56 000 dollars on a proline ncaa football pool played all of 80 dollars invested drunk as a skunk and went 15-16 for 1 winner OLG lottery proline has to been 20 years now but i still talk about it in my local bar and yes i probably gave it all back and then some.

     
    sandyman
    sandyman
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 438
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 4:03 PM ET #21

    I just try and not send money now. Gave up the big bets and having just as much fun dinking around .Send fifty see how long it goes . Play it down to the last penny swearing Ill send no more .

    Reply

    I just try and not send money now. Gave up the big bets and having just as much fun dinking around .Send fifty see how long it goes . Play it down to the last penny swearing Ill send no more .

     
    Moose6836
    Moose6836
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2006
    Posts: 5704
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 4:11 PM ET #22

    It’s better than booze/drugs and going out on date/with friends. Asides from family health and the good lord-sports is everything!!! I’ll never quit wagering on sports.
    Reply
    It’s better than booze/drugs and going out on date/with friends. Asides from family health and the good lord-sports is everything!!! I’ll never quit wagering on sports.
     
    NevadaBookmaker
    NevadaBookmaker
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2006
    Posts: 3843
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 4:25 PM ET #23

    Fly under the radar, because once a casino or book realizes you're a winner... you're done.

    Reply

    Fly under the radar, because once a casino or book realizes you're a winner... you're done.

     
    Blitz36
    Blitz36
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2019
    Posts: 121
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 4:47 PM ET #24

    @TxG31

     Of course books don't care about a single match..just like a sports bettor shouldn't put all their hopes into a single bet.  properly done, there is money to be made in sports wagering, but it comes down to 1 fundamental that absolutely has to be followed...money management.  That one word takes alot of understanding!  It's not about respecting a budget, it's about understanding value in the bets you make!  In the long run, this is how books make their money, and you must follow that same agenda and stick to it.  To do this properly, one needs to have an advanced understanding of mathematics...namely statistics/probability, and knowing how to apply that to lines, and again, having discipline.  Most cannot do this, most live in the moment or chase or take unnecessary risks...you have to make the numbers work in your favour, and not just on 1 bet, but over the long term!

    Reply

    @TxG31

     Of course books don't care about a single match..just like a sports bettor shouldn't put all their hopes into a single bet.  properly done, there is money to be made in sports wagering, but it comes down to 1 fundamental that absolutely has to be followed...money management.  That one word takes alot of understanding!  It's not about respecting a budget, it's about understanding value in the bets you make!  In the long run, this is how books make their money, and you must follow that same agenda and stick to it.  To do this properly, one needs to have an advanced understanding of mathematics...namely statistics/probability, and knowing how to apply that to lines, and again, having discipline.  Most cannot do this, most live in the moment or chase or take unnecessary risks...you have to make the numbers work in your favour, and not just on 1 bet, but over the long term!

     
     
    phillies73
    phillies73
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2023
    Posts: 1780
    Posted: Nov. 24, 2023 - 4:50 PM ET #25

    @TxG31

     well said !

    Reply

    @TxG31

     well said !

    All Forums | General Discussion
    123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,363
    • Friday 10/02/2026 910
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 266,489
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,277
    • PART DEUX 288
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 31,395
    • Trump's legacy? 32,964
    • Delaware QB Nick Minicucci 4,547
    • **$$$ MD Friday 10/2 $$$** 5,785
    • Week 5 Money 7,628

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.