• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 5
      NFL Week 5
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • Buccaneers-Cowboys Leans
      • Eagles-Jaguars Leans
      • NFL Week 5 Odds
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Politics

    Tell em like it is Bernie, Tell em like it is !

    12 Next Last»
    don juan
    SarasotaSlim
    shiek
    rick3117
    wallstreetcappers
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 548
    Posts: 27
    12 Next Last»
     
    don juan
    don juan
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2001
    Posts: 5561
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 7:56 AM ET #1

    Run Bernie Run.    Independent, Democrat, repulsican   who cares. I don't. It's about stopping the greed at the top. Saving the middle class, thereby saving America !
    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    Run Bernie Run.    Independent, Democrat, repulsican   who cares. I don't. It's about stopping the greed at the top. Saving the middle class, thereby saving America !
     
    SarasotaSlim
    SarasotaSlim
    Covers Rehab
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 35524
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 11:12 AM ET #2

    LQQks like the lefties are starting to wise up and beginning to jump off the Hillary bandwagon...

    ROLF
    Reply
    LQQks like the lefties are starting to wise up and beginning to jump off the Hillary bandwagon...

    ROLF
     
    don juan
    don juan
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2001
    Posts: 5561
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 11:53 AM ET #3

    Who said I'm off of the Hillary bandwagon ?  I want Hillary to win.  But Bernie will bring the focus on the middle class decline.   I mean he is seventy three years old and it's doubtful he will win the nomination anyway.

    Reply

    Who said I'm off of the Hillary bandwagon ?  I want Hillary to win.  But Bernie will bring the focus on the middle class decline.   I mean he is seventy three years old and it's doubtful he will win the nomination anyway.

     
    shiek
    shiek
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 1404
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 12:31 PM ET #4

    Doubtful he will win???   He's got zero chance and won't change the focus of anything.   Wasting people's time and money and just another example of some1 thinking they r more important then they r
    Reply
    Doubtful he will win???   He's got zero chance and won't change the focus of anything.   Wasting people's time and money and just another example of some1 thinking they r more important then they r
     
    rick3117
    rick3117
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2006
    Posts: 14715
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 1:34 PM ET #5

    Bernie does nothing but makes Hillary look like a centrist.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Clinton foundation paid bernie to run as a socialist to normalize Hillary's radical agenda.

    Money wins, so Hillary is going to be the next president, bought and paid for by the Saudis and foreign interests.  Think NAFTA and GATT were bad for the American worker,  you aint seen nothin yet.  Wait for the TPP to take hold under HIllary's admin and watch the remaining jobs go to our pacific "partners".   But hey,  don buys American cars so I guess his conscience is clear.  lol
    Reply
    Bernie does nothing but makes Hillary look like a centrist.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Clinton foundation paid bernie to run as a socialist to normalize Hillary's radical agenda.

    Money wins, so Hillary is going to be the next president, bought and paid for by the Saudis and foreign interests.  Think NAFTA and GATT were bad for the American worker,  you aint seen nothin yet.  Wait for the TPP to take hold under HIllary's admin and watch the remaining jobs go to our pacific "partners".   But hey,  don buys American cars so I guess his conscience is clear.  lol
     
    don juan
    don juan
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2001
    Posts: 5561
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 2:37 PM ET #6

    Quote Originally Posted by shiek:

    Doubtful he will win???   He's got zero chance and won't change the focus of anything.   Wasting people's time and money and just another example of some1 thinking they r more important then they r

    I wouldn't write him off too soon. He has beaten many Democrat 's and repulsican's. He said he doesn't run negative Ads . I'm not sure if that strategy can win anymore, with all the negativity lovers.

    And Remember, Ronald Reagan was old too.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by shiek:

    Doubtful he will win???   He's got zero chance and won't change the focus of anything.   Wasting people's time and money and just another example of some1 thinking they r more important then they r

    I wouldn't write him off too soon. He has beaten many Democrat 's and repulsican's. He said he doesn't run negative Ads . I'm not sure if that strategy can win anymore, with all the negativity lovers.

    And Remember, Ronald Reagan was old too.

     
    SarasotaSlim
    SarasotaSlim
    Covers Rehab
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 35524
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 5:43 PM ET #7

    Bernie Sanders is running for president as a Democrat..
    Reply
    Bernie Sanders is running for president as a Democrat..
     
    don juan
    don juan
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2001
    Posts: 5561
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 6:32 PM ET #8

    And ?
    Reply
    And ?
     
    rick3117
    rick3117
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2006
    Posts: 14715
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 6:48 PM ET #9

    I have a lot of family in Vermont, and they disagree that mr. Sanders is helping anyone but his govt. cronies. 

    Try having a 180K home owner pay 5K a year in property taxes. 

    Yikes,  who are these little people he is helping?


    Reply
    I have a lot of family in Vermont, and they disagree that mr. Sanders is helping anyone but his govt. cronies. 

    Try having a 180K home owner pay 5K a year in property taxes. 

    Yikes,  who are these little people he is helping?


     
    rick3117
    rick3117
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2006
    Posts: 14715
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 8:03 PM ET #10

    He also voted against the Amber alert?
    who does that?


    Reply
    He also voted against the Amber alert?
    who does that?


     
    don juan
    don juan
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2001
    Posts: 5561
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 10:04 PM ET #11

    As usual ricochet as missed the point and bounced off the wall. .
    Reply
    As usual ricochet as missed the point and bounced off the wall. .
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58427
    Posted: Apr. 30, 2015 - 10:49 PM ET #12

    Quote Originally Posted by rick3117:

    I have a lot of family in Vermont, and they disagree that mr. Sanders is helping anyone but his govt. cronies. 

    Try having a 180K home owner pay 5K a year in property taxes. 

    Yikes,  who are these little people he is helping?



    There are two sides to your point actually.

    I lived in PA where property taxes in the areas I lived were very high, my brother in law lived close to Vermont and had very high property taxes.

    The flip side is the education system there is actually funded properly, say compared to where I live now..my sister in law is a school teacher and she was able to earn a reasonable salary versus where they are now moving to and what teachers HERE are paid.

    Having high property tax adds benefit to the community as well, it isnt JUST the number you should focus on.

    I would pay more property taxes here if I trusted how the money is used...here they pull from one pool when one pool gets more..a few years ago the community passed a temporary sales tax increase to fund primary education..so what does the stupid state do? They took MORE than the funding from the sales tax increase from the STATE funding and actually kicked our already crappy funded education system even worse.

    Paying teachers above the median income level seems to be some dirty concept for some here where I see the value in properly paying a teacher with a college degree who is responsible for the care and education of 20-30 children..

    So high property taxes are not such a horrible thing if the money is properly used..and I know that is a farce in itself to a degree.


    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by rick3117:

    I have a lot of family in Vermont, and they disagree that mr. Sanders is helping anyone but his govt. cronies. 

    Try having a 180K home owner pay 5K a year in property taxes. 

    Yikes,  who are these little people he is helping?



    There are two sides to your point actually.

    I lived in PA where property taxes in the areas I lived were very high, my brother in law lived close to Vermont and had very high property taxes.

    The flip side is the education system there is actually funded properly, say compared to where I live now..my sister in law is a school teacher and she was able to earn a reasonable salary versus where they are now moving to and what teachers HERE are paid.

    Having high property tax adds benefit to the community as well, it isnt JUST the number you should focus on.

    I would pay more property taxes here if I trusted how the money is used...here they pull from one pool when one pool gets more..a few years ago the community passed a temporary sales tax increase to fund primary education..so what does the stupid state do? They took MORE than the funding from the sales tax increase from the STATE funding and actually kicked our already crappy funded education system even worse.

    Paying teachers above the median income level seems to be some dirty concept for some here where I see the value in properly paying a teacher with a college degree who is responsible for the care and education of 20-30 children..

    So high property taxes are not such a horrible thing if the money is properly used..and I know that is a farce in itself to a degree.


     
    canovsp
    canovsp
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2009
    Posts: 5755
    Posted: May. 1, 2015 - 12:57 AM ET #13

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    There are two sides to your point actually.

    I lived in PA where property taxes in the areas I lived were very high, my brother in law lived close to Vermont and had very high property taxes.

    The flip side is the education system there is actually funded properly, say compared to where I live now..my sister in law is a school teacher and she was able to earn a reasonable salary versus where they are now moving to and what teachers HERE are paid.

    Having high property tax adds benefit to the community as well, it isnt JUST the number you should focus on.

    I would pay more property taxes here if I trusted how the money is used...here they pull from one pool when one pool gets more..a few years ago the community passed a temporary sales tax increase to fund primary education..so what does the stupid state do? They took MORE than the funding from the sales tax increase from the STATE funding and actually kicked our already crappy funded education system even worse.

    Paying teachers above the median income level seems to be some dirty concept for some here where I see the value in properly paying a teacher with a college degree who is responsible for the care and education of 20-30 children..

    So high property taxes are not such a horrible thing if the money is properly used..and I know that is a farce in itself to a degree.




    How exactly can the funding levels of education be measured?

    Is it based on other state's taxes?

    Or student performance?

    Something else?
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    There are two sides to your point actually.

    I lived in PA where property taxes in the areas I lived were very high, my brother in law lived close to Vermont and had very high property taxes.

    The flip side is the education system there is actually funded properly, say compared to where I live now..my sister in law is a school teacher and she was able to earn a reasonable salary versus where they are now moving to and what teachers HERE are paid.

    Having high property tax adds benefit to the community as well, it isnt JUST the number you should focus on.

    I would pay more property taxes here if I trusted how the money is used...here they pull from one pool when one pool gets more..a few years ago the community passed a temporary sales tax increase to fund primary education..so what does the stupid state do? They took MORE than the funding from the sales tax increase from the STATE funding and actually kicked our already crappy funded education system even worse.

    Paying teachers above the median income level seems to be some dirty concept for some here where I see the value in properly paying a teacher with a college degree who is responsible for the care and education of 20-30 children..

    So high property taxes are not such a horrible thing if the money is properly used..and I know that is a farce in itself to a degree.




    How exactly can the funding levels of education be measured?

    Is it based on other state's taxes?

    Or student performance?

    Something else?
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58427
    Posted: May. 1, 2015 - 9:07 AM ET #14

    Quote Originally Posted by canovsp:



    How exactly can the funding levels of education be measured?

    Is it based on other state's taxes?

    Or student performance?

    Something else?

    I actually experienced the "climate" of education in both areas...so in PA where property taxes are like 3-10X more than where I currently live and here in PHX where the taxes are much lower.

    How you measure the level of education is the quality of the program, the tenure of the teachers, the diversity and depth of the school in its content and the results of course.

    Results are tough..you can have an awesome system and still not show results if the kids are struggling at home or say if you have a bad administrator etc..

    The school we go to now I actually go out of district to attend because of research I conducted and I liked the test scores, the demographics (income, diversity etc) so I have been driving to this school every day (no bus zones out of district). All that said the school is good but the teachers are underpaid and the content could be better. It makes me mad knowing these teachers who do such a great job and work so hard are paid so poorly. Its also sad when the district has cut so many times that field trips are really crappy and limiting, the opportunities are less for learning and the school is in need of upgrading for technology and capacity.

    For sure there is a huge difference between the quality of what you get if you can pay a teacher above median income salary..you can attract stronger talent and turnover is much less. If you break down how much you would spend on childcare at a GOOD establishment compared to schools...property taxes even at 500-750 a month is a solid bargain.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by canovsp:



    How exactly can the funding levels of education be measured?

    Is it based on other state's taxes?

    Or student performance?

    Something else?

    I actually experienced the "climate" of education in both areas...so in PA where property taxes are like 3-10X more than where I currently live and here in PHX where the taxes are much lower.

    How you measure the level of education is the quality of the program, the tenure of the teachers, the diversity and depth of the school in its content and the results of course.

    Results are tough..you can have an awesome system and still not show results if the kids are struggling at home or say if you have a bad administrator etc..

    The school we go to now I actually go out of district to attend because of research I conducted and I liked the test scores, the demographics (income, diversity etc) so I have been driving to this school every day (no bus zones out of district). All that said the school is good but the teachers are underpaid and the content could be better. It makes me mad knowing these teachers who do such a great job and work so hard are paid so poorly. Its also sad when the district has cut so many times that field trips are really crappy and limiting, the opportunities are less for learning and the school is in need of upgrading for technology and capacity.

    For sure there is a huge difference between the quality of what you get if you can pay a teacher above median income salary..you can attract stronger talent and turnover is much less. If you break down how much you would spend on childcare at a GOOD establishment compared to schools...property taxes even at 500-750 a month is a solid bargain.
     
    trawler
    trawler
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2013
    Posts: 407
    Posted: May. 1, 2015 - 11:31 AM ET #15

    Quote Originally Posted by rick3117:

    I have a lot of family in Vermont, and they disagree that mr. Sanders is helping anyone but his govt. cronies. 

    Try having a 180K home owner pay 5K a year in property taxes. 

    Yikes,  who are these little people he is helping?


     

    Oh boy,  Are You suggesting that Bernie Sanders sets property tax rates in Vermont?

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by rick3117:

    I have a lot of family in Vermont, and they disagree that mr. Sanders is helping anyone but his govt. cronies. 

    Try having a 180K home owner pay 5K a year in property taxes. 

    Yikes,  who are these little people he is helping?


     

    Oh boy,  Are You suggesting that Bernie Sanders sets property tax rates in Vermont?

     
    bettingforfun
    bettingforfun
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2014
    Posts: 2042
    Posted: May. 1, 2015 - 12:03 PM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    I actually experienced the "climate" of education in both areas...so in PA where property taxes are like 3-10X more than where I currently live and here in PHX where the taxes are much lower.

    How you measure the level of education is the quality of the program, the tenure of the teachers, the diversity and depth of the school in its content and the results of course.

    Results are tough..you can have an awesome system and still not show results if the kids are struggling at home or say if you have a bad administrator etc..

    The school we go to now I actually go out of district to attend because of research I conducted and I liked the test scores, the demographics (income, diversity etc) so I have been driving to this school every day (no bus zones out of district). All that said the school is good but the teachers are underpaid and the content could be better. It makes me mad knowing these teachers who do such a great job and work so hard are paid so poorly. Its also sad when the district has cut so many times that field trips are really crappy and limiting, the opportunities are less for learning and the school is in need of upgrading for technology and capacity.

    For sure there is a huge difference between the quality of what you get if you can pay a teacher above median income salary..you can attract stronger talent and turnover is much less. If you break down how much you would spend on childcare at a GOOD establishment compared to schools...property taxes even at 500-750 a month is a solid bargain.

    Unfortunately pay is only part of the problem.  You also have to have a community that is committed to education.  The teachers in the town that I live in are some of the lowest paid in the nation. Yet we have the best schools in the state and the No. 1 high school in the state academically.  The high school is also ranked very high nationally as well.

    Here's the difference..........
    1. Our schools are very well funded.  We pass just about all bonds. (only 2 have been defeated in the last 25 years.  I voted against both and for all the other ones.)

    2. Parents here care about education are involved and it shows.

    3. Quality of life.  Teachers as well as the rest of the community sacrifice to live here.  Wages are low across the board.  It is an awesome area to raise kids with all the access we have to the outdoors.  Mountains, rivers, lakes and streams.  Clean air.  Low crime.  All in all a great place to live.

    4.  We have an 18,000 student university as well.  People like living in a university town because it offers so much to a town.

    I could go on and on but you get the point.  If pay was the main factor for better schools then DC should be at the very top and we should be towards the very bottom.  
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:


    I actually experienced the "climate" of education in both areas...so in PA where property taxes are like 3-10X more than where I currently live and here in PHX where the taxes are much lower.

    How you measure the level of education is the quality of the program, the tenure of the teachers, the diversity and depth of the school in its content and the results of course.

    Results are tough..you can have an awesome system and still not show results if the kids are struggling at home or say if you have a bad administrator etc..

    The school we go to now I actually go out of district to attend because of research I conducted and I liked the test scores, the demographics (income, diversity etc) so I have been driving to this school every day (no bus zones out of district). All that said the school is good but the teachers are underpaid and the content could be better. It makes me mad knowing these teachers who do such a great job and work so hard are paid so poorly. Its also sad when the district has cut so many times that field trips are really crappy and limiting, the opportunities are less for learning and the school is in need of upgrading for technology and capacity.

    For sure there is a huge difference between the quality of what you get if you can pay a teacher above median income salary..you can attract stronger talent and turnover is much less. If you break down how much you would spend on childcare at a GOOD establishment compared to schools...property taxes even at 500-750 a month is a solid bargain.

    Unfortunately pay is only part of the problem.  You also have to have a community that is committed to education.  The teachers in the town that I live in are some of the lowest paid in the nation. Yet we have the best schools in the state and the No. 1 high school in the state academically.  The high school is also ranked very high nationally as well.

    Here's the difference..........
    1. Our schools are very well funded.  We pass just about all bonds. (only 2 have been defeated in the last 25 years.  I voted against both and for all the other ones.)

    2. Parents here care about education are involved and it shows.

    3. Quality of life.  Teachers as well as the rest of the community sacrifice to live here.  Wages are low across the board.  It is an awesome area to raise kids with all the access we have to the outdoors.  Mountains, rivers, lakes and streams.  Clean air.  Low crime.  All in all a great place to live.

    4.  We have an 18,000 student university as well.  People like living in a university town because it offers so much to a town.

    I could go on and on but you get the point.  If pay was the main factor for better schools then DC should be at the very top and we should be towards the very bottom.  
     
    canovsp
    canovsp
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2009
    Posts: 5755
    Posted: May. 1, 2015 - 12:18 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by bettingforfun:


    Unfortunately pay is only part of the problem.  You also have to have a community that is committed to education.  The teachers in the town that I live in are some of the lowest paid in the nation. Yet we have the best schools in the state and the No. 1 high school in the state academically.  The high school is also ranked very high nationally as well.

    Here's the difference..........
    1. Our schools are very well funded.  We pass just about all bonds. (only 2 have been defeated in the last 25 years.  I voted against both and for all the other ones.)

    2. Parents here care about education are involved and it shows.

    3. Quality of life.  Teachers as well as the rest of the community sacrifice to live here.  Wages are low across the board.  It is an awesome area to raise kids with all the access we have to the outdoors.  Mountains, rivers, lakes and streams.  Clean air.  Low crime.  All in all a great place to live.

    4.  We have an 18,000 student university as well.  People like living in a university town because it offers so much to a town.

    I could go on and on but you get the point.  If pay was the main factor for better schools then DC should be at the very top and we should be towards the very bottom.  




    This is exactly the point I was trying to make in post #13 in response to WSC post about funding levels.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by bettingforfun:


    Unfortunately pay is only part of the problem.  You also have to have a community that is committed to education.  The teachers in the town that I live in are some of the lowest paid in the nation. Yet we have the best schools in the state and the No. 1 high school in the state academically.  The high school is also ranked very high nationally as well.

    Here's the difference..........
    1. Our schools are very well funded.  We pass just about all bonds. (only 2 have been defeated in the last 25 years.  I voted against both and for all the other ones.)

    2. Parents here care about education are involved and it shows.

    3. Quality of life.  Teachers as well as the rest of the community sacrifice to live here.  Wages are low across the board.  It is an awesome area to raise kids with all the access we have to the outdoors.  Mountains, rivers, lakes and streams.  Clean air.  Low crime.  All in all a great place to live.

    4.  We have an 18,000 student university as well.  People like living in a university town because it offers so much to a town.

    I could go on and on but you get the point.  If pay was the main factor for better schools then DC should be at the very top and we should be towards the very bottom.  




    This is exactly the point I was trying to make in post #13 in response to WSC post about funding levels.
     
    wallstreetcappers
    wallstreetcappers
    Covers Linesmen
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2003
    Posts: 58427
    Posted: May. 1, 2015 - 1:23 PM ET #18

    Of course...and I referenced that in my reply.

    You can have an awesome system and still have a bad result if the FAMILY isnt behind the efforts and instructing at home, or an administrator is doing a poor job.

    The point I was making is just blanket complaining about property taxes isnt the right call...property taxes can really help the LOCAL community..its one of the most pure local based sources of revenue there is.

    Also, down here bonds are also issued. I am not so keen on bond issuance because it is putting off in the present by pushing these long dated bonds out into the future...outside of LONG TERM capital needs I think bonds are really bad news. If the bonds are for improvements that span the life of the bond, then yeah but if you are funding current or short term needs with bonds that is a big mistake.
    Reply
    Of course...and I referenced that in my reply.

    You can have an awesome system and still have a bad result if the FAMILY isnt behind the efforts and instructing at home, or an administrator is doing a poor job.

    The point I was making is just blanket complaining about property taxes isnt the right call...property taxes can really help the LOCAL community..its one of the most pure local based sources of revenue there is.

    Also, down here bonds are also issued. I am not so keen on bond issuance because it is putting off in the present by pushing these long dated bonds out into the future...outside of LONG TERM capital needs I think bonds are really bad news. If the bonds are for improvements that span the life of the bond, then yeah but if you are funding current or short term needs with bonds that is a big mistake.
     
    Crusher13
    Crusher13
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 8064
    Posted: May. 1, 2015 - 2:17 PM ET #19

    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    Of course...and I referenced that in my reply.

    You can have an awesome system and still have a bad result if the FAMILY isnt behind the efforts and instructing at home, or an administrator is doing a poor job.

    The point I was making is just blanket complaining about property taxes isnt the right call...property taxes can really help the LOCAL community..its one of the most pure local based sources of revenue there is.

    Also, down here bonds are also issued. I am not so keen on bond issuance because it is putting off in the present by pushing these long dated bonds out into the future...outside of LONG TERM capital needs I think bonds are really bad news. If the bonds are for improvements that span the life of the bond, then yeah but if you are funding current or short term needs with bonds that is a big mistake.

     Municipal bonds are even worse, increasing property taxes but I do enjoy your posts...most of my county taxes actually do go to our school district...but what is  sad it takes only a water bill to prove any residency for ANY illegal child and siblings to enroll(thus increasing more funding for that school) ...fortunately living in the burbs it's not nearly as bad as say in Dallas proper...

    And one more thing, everychild from PRE K to a SR in HS is given FREE breakfast and LUNCH in the DISD school district...And they are chasing off the Superintendant at that..   .Couldn't agree more the smaller the better too where parents can be involved...positively that is

     

    No what about that wacko...Weekend at Bernie's...He will definitely bring some much needed humor to the DEM undercard.

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreetcappers:

    Of course...and I referenced that in my reply.

    You can have an awesome system and still have a bad result if the FAMILY isnt behind the efforts and instructing at home, or an administrator is doing a poor job.

    The point I was making is just blanket complaining about property taxes isnt the right call...property taxes can really help the LOCAL community..its one of the most pure local based sources of revenue there is.

    Also, down here bonds are also issued. I am not so keen on bond issuance because it is putting off in the present by pushing these long dated bonds out into the future...outside of LONG TERM capital needs I think bonds are really bad news. If the bonds are for improvements that span the life of the bond, then yeah but if you are funding current or short term needs with bonds that is a big mistake.

     Municipal bonds are even worse, increasing property taxes but I do enjoy your posts...most of my county taxes actually do go to our school district...but what is  sad it takes only a water bill to prove any residency for ANY illegal child and siblings to enroll(thus increasing more funding for that school) ...fortunately living in the burbs it's not nearly as bad as say in Dallas proper...

    And one more thing, everychild from PRE K to a SR in HS is given FREE breakfast and LUNCH in the DISD school district...And they are chasing off the Superintendant at that..   .Couldn't agree more the smaller the better too where parents can be involved...positively that is

     

    No what about that wacko...Weekend at Bernie's...He will definitely bring some much needed humor to the DEM undercard.

     
    esplanade
    esplanade
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2008
    Posts: 9021
    Posted: May. 1, 2015 - 2:39 PM ET #20

    Short days, vacations, job security, decent pay......yup teachers have it so rough.
    Reply
    Short days, vacations, job security, decent pay......yup teachers have it so rough.
     
    rick3117
    rick3117
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2006
    Posts: 14715
    Posted: May. 2, 2015 - 11:35 PM ET #21

    https://talkpoverty.org/state-year-report/vermont-2014-report/


    Reply
    https://talkpoverty.org/state-year-report/vermont-2014-report/


     
    darkhorse12
    darkhorse12
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2004
    Posts: 10739
    Posted: May. 3, 2015 - 11:55 PM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by rick3117:

    Bernie does nothing but makes Hillary look like a centrist.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Clinton foundation paid bernie to run as a socialist to normalize Hillary's radical agenda.

    Money wins, so Hillary is going to be the next president, bought and paid for by the Saudis and foreign interests.  Think NAFTA and GATT were bad for the American worker,  you aint seen nothin yet.  Wait for the TPP to take hold under HIllary's admin and watch the remaining jobs go to our pacific "partners".   But hey,  don buys American cars so I guess his conscience is clear.  lol

    Rick , you do know that Bernie is against the TPP while one of your favorites, Rand, wants to prioritize it.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by rick3117:

    Bernie does nothing but makes Hillary look like a centrist.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Clinton foundation paid bernie to run as a socialist to normalize Hillary's radical agenda.

    Money wins, so Hillary is going to be the next president, bought and paid for by the Saudis and foreign interests.  Think NAFTA and GATT were bad for the American worker,  you aint seen nothin yet.  Wait for the TPP to take hold under HIllary's admin and watch the remaining jobs go to our pacific "partners".   But hey,  don buys American cars so I guess his conscience is clear.  lol

    Rick , you do know that Bernie is against the TPP while one of your favorites, Rand, wants to prioritize it.

     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: May. 4, 2015 - 8:27 AM ET #23

    Quote Originally Posted by shiek:

    Doubtful he will win???   He's got zero chance and won't change the focus of anything.   Wasting people's time and money and just another example of some1 thinking they r more important then they r



    Um, that's like, would you say, sorta like, when the Conservatives try to repeal ObamaCare 30 times?  Zero chance - waste of time?


    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by shiek:

    Doubtful he will win???   He's got zero chance and won't change the focus of anything.   Wasting people's time and money and just another example of some1 thinking they r more important then they r



    Um, that's like, would you say, sorta like, when the Conservatives try to repeal ObamaCare 30 times?  Zero chance - waste of time?


     
    rick3117
    rick3117
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2006
    Posts: 14715
    Posted: May. 4, 2015 - 9:15 PM ET #24

    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse12:

    Rick , you do know that Bernie is against the TPP while one of your favorites, Rand, wants to prioritize it.



    One of those crazy things.

    I guess Rand is finding his donors as well.  For all of the things I agree with him on, he definitely makes it hard for me to support him. 

    Let's just say that I won't be knocking on doors for Mr. Paul. 

    Not that I won't vote for him,

    He, unfortunately, may just represent the lesser of the two evils. 

    I want to like him, and I am trying hard. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse12:

    Rick , you do know that Bernie is against the TPP while one of your favorites, Rand, wants to prioritize it.



    One of those crazy things.

    I guess Rand is finding his donors as well.  For all of the things I agree with him on, he definitely makes it hard for me to support him. 

    Let's just say that I won't be knocking on doors for Mr. Paul. 

    Not that I won't vote for him,

    He, unfortunately, may just represent the lesser of the two evils. 

    I want to like him, and I am trying hard. 
     
     
    Crusher13
    Crusher13
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 8064
    Posted: May. 5, 2015 - 3:55 PM ET #25

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:




    Um, that's like, would you say, sorta like, when the Conservatives try to repeal ObamaCare 30 times?  Zero chance - waste of time?


     

    GG...you couldn't be more wrong about THE SINGLE WORST piece of LEGISLATION ever passed in the  240 years of history of the GREATEST nation EVER created by mankind...

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:




    Um, that's like, would you say, sorta like, when the Conservatives try to repeal ObamaCare 30 times?  Zero chance - waste of time?


     

    GG...you couldn't be more wrong about THE SINGLE WORST piece of LEGISLATION ever passed in the  240 years of history of the GREATEST nation EVER created by mankind...

    All Forums | Politics
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Monday 10/05/2026 694
    • Serious Streak Survivor Strategies 1,918,275
    • PART DEUX 187
    • I'm embarrassed for Trump supporters 60,728
    • Falcons vs Saints in-game live MNF 1,785
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 104,809
    • ***Macwesties * Sun. Oct. 04, 2026 * Week #4 * NFL Football Plays*** 9,657
    • ***Macwesties * Mon. Oct. 05, 2026 * Week #4 * MNF * NFL Football Play*** 3,121
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 33,609
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 17,720

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.