Legislation to Ban College Player Props in North Carolina ‘Unlikely’ to Gain Steam in 2024

State representative tells Covers legislation to ban college player props 'unlikely to move this year' in Tar Heel State.

Brad Senkiw - News Editorat Covers.com
Brad Senkiw • News Editor
Jul 11, 2024 • 09:21 ET • 4 min read
North Carolina NCAAB Cooper Flagg
Photo By - USA TODAY Sports

North Carolina’s 2024 legislative session is winding down without any movement coming on a push to ban college player props from the Tar Heel State’s sports betting catalog. 

House Bill 967 was filed by Rep. Marcia Morey (D-Durham) on May 1 but never made it out of the rules, calendar, and operations committee.

Both chambers adjourned last week with just a few committee meetings scheduled this month.  

“It is unlikely to move this year,” Hannah Smith, Morey’s legislative assistant, told Covers on Wednesday. 

Up against it

HB 967 didn’t garner much support from the start.

Rep. Jason Saine (R-Lincoln) openly stated that the college player prop debate wouldn’t be considered in the short legislative session. 

It’s unknown if Morey, a former college and Olympic athlete, will continue her pursuit to ban wagering on college players’ individual stats in 2025.     

HB 967 had called for a college player and Olympic prop ban to go into effect on July 1. Sen. Julie Mayfield (D-Buncombe) filed a companion bill that never got anywhere in the other chamber either.  

Response to NCAA

The proposal came in response to NCAA president Charlie Baker asking all legal sports betting states to ban college player props due to the harassment of athletes. 

“We’re forgetting about the individuals who are actually playing the game and having the pressure on them,” Morey told CBS 17 earlier this year when discussing the prop-bet issue. “Let’s give them a break. Then to know in the back of your mind, ‘Oh, well, people are going to watch every stroke, every turn, betting on every move I make,’ it takes away from the thrill of the sport, the enjoyment.”  

Maryland, Ohio, and Vermont banned college player props already this year while Louisiana will disallow those wagers beginning Aug. 1.

Early success

The robust North Carolina sports betting catalog has helped the state’s eight online sportsbooks generate $2.2 billion in wagers and $275 million in gross revenue since March 11. 

The Tar Heel State’s early success came on the heels of March Madness in a college-centric market. How much college player props led to basketball profits is unknown. 

With the college sports season over, North Carolina saw the June handle fall 24% compared to May while revenue dipped 36% month-over-month. 

Pages related to this topic

Brad Senkiw - Covers
News Editor

Brad has been covering sports betting and iGaming industry news for Covers since 2023. He writes about a wide range of topics, including sportsbook insights, proposed legislation, regulator decision-making, state revenue reports, and online sports betting launches. Brad reported heavily on North Carolina’s legal push for and creation of online sportsbooks, appearing on numerous Tar Heel State radio and TV news shows for his insights.

Before joining Covers, Brad spent over 15 years as a reporter and editor, covering college sports for newspapers and websites while also hosting a radio show for seven years.

Popular Content

Covers is verified safe by: Evalon Logo GPWA Logo GDPR Logo GeoTrust Logo Evalon Logo