• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Just An Observation About The "Homeless".....

    12 Next Last»
    GimmeMoneyNow
    vanzack
    165yds
    TheGoldenGoose
    Slobbasaurus
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 3010
    Posts: 46
    12 Next Last»
     
    GimmeMoneyNow
    GimmeMoneyNow
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2015
    Posts: 2874
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2017 - 5:06 PM ET #1

    O.K., to quantify, I live, drive, and have seen every part of Southern California, so I've got the experience & background in dealing with the freeway off ramp "terrorists", so, let's just get that out of the way.
    Anyways, so, I'm sitting waiting for the light to change, and I see the typical guy with the multiple signs "Please Help", "Veteran" (yeah, right), with all the other written bulls#!t (usually misspelled, on purpose?) that normally goes on these signs. Of course, the signs are made up of an old flattened out cardboard box they found, and they're next to a shopping cart with all their "possessions", O.K., we get it. Picture painted. Hopefully you're with me.....

    Now, these cardboard signs are usually pretty big, and color filled in. So, we're talking maybe 1-2 big fat felt-tip "Marks-A-Lot" or a large Sharpie per sign - and those things are like $7 (and up) a piece! That's like, what, 5-6 meals you could live on for a few days? Maybe even more if you stretch your budget? Plus, those pens don't last very long, and neither do the signs before they fade, so they need to repeat the process about every week or so. And it's not like they're finding a whole felt pen set in the trash. Are they stealing the pens? Do they need to start locking these up like they do Sudafed and razor blades? Or, do they make more in one day than a minimum wage worker makes in a week.....

    Anyone else notice or have any thoughts on this?

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.
    O.K., to quantify, I live, drive, and have seen every part of Southern California, so I've got the experience & background in dealing with the freeway off ramp "terrorists", so, let's just get that out of the way.
    Anyways, so, I'm sitting waiting for the light to change, and I see the typical guy with the multiple signs "Please Help", "Veteran" (yeah, right), with all the other written bulls#!t (usually misspelled, on purpose?) that normally goes on these signs. Of course, the signs are made up of an old flattened out cardboard box they found, and they're next to a shopping cart with all their "possessions", O.K., we get it. Picture painted. Hopefully you're with me.....

    Now, these cardboard signs are usually pretty big, and color filled in. So, we're talking maybe 1-2 big fat felt-tip "Marks-A-Lot" or a large Sharpie per sign - and those things are like $7 (and up) a piece! That's like, what, 5-6 meals you could live on for a few days? Maybe even more if you stretch your budget? Plus, those pens don't last very long, and neither do the signs before they fade, so they need to repeat the process about every week or so. And it's not like they're finding a whole felt pen set in the trash. Are they stealing the pens? Do they need to start locking these up like they do Sudafed and razor blades? Or, do they make more in one day than a minimum wage worker makes in a week.....

    Anyone else notice or have any thoughts on this?

     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2017 - 5:21 PM ET #2

    I have put a lot of thought in to this.

    As a fellow human, I feel compelled to help.  But I really dont know if giving them money is helping, or hurting.

    So I carry prepackaged food in my car, like rice and things that are fully cooked and dont require preparation.  Breakfast bars etc.

    I give these out.

    I dont know if it is right or wrong, I dont know if it encourages panhandling or not - I just dont know.  

    But I do think about it a lot.

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    I have put a lot of thought in to this.

    As a fellow human, I feel compelled to help.  But I really dont know if giving them money is helping, or hurting.

    So I carry prepackaged food in my car, like rice and things that are fully cooked and dont require preparation.  Breakfast bars etc.

    I give these out.

    I dont know if it is right or wrong, I dont know if it encourages panhandling or not - I just dont know.  

    But I do think about it a lot.

     
    165yds
    165yds
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 18777
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2017 - 5:32 PM ET #3

    Nobody is starving there are soup kitchens everywhere in large cities where the homeless all live.  Most need it for liquor or drugs.  Everyone in this forum knows addiction far better than any heroin feign so we all get it.  I often give a dollar and always feel worse for it.  The older guys all stink like liquor but fuc it let them have a drink for what is a very hard life they have.

    I've seen a few in Manhatten with signs of need money for drugs so I always give money.  At least they are honest.
    Reply
    Nobody is starving there are soup kitchens everywhere in large cities where the homeless all live.  Most need it for liquor or drugs.  Everyone in this forum knows addiction far better than any heroin feign so we all get it.  I often give a dollar and always feel worse for it.  The older guys all stink like liquor but fuc it let them have a drink for what is a very hard life they have.

    I've seen a few in Manhatten with signs of need money for drugs so I always give money.  At least they are honest.
     
    GimmeMoneyNow
    GimmeMoneyNow
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2015
    Posts: 2874
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2017 - 6:04 PM ET #4

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    I have put a lot of thought in to this.

    As a fellow human, I feel compelled to help.  But I really dont know if giving them money is helping, or hurting.

    So I carry prepackaged food in my car, like rice and things that are fully cooked and dont require preparation.  Breakfast bars etc.

    I give these out.

    I dont know if it is right or wrong, I dont know if it encourages panhandling or not - I just dont know.  

    But I do think about it a lot.




    See, now we need a survey of how much of your "prepackaged food" hits your back window as you drive away. I don't know where you live, but in So Cal, that ain't flying, my friend.....
    Also, not to make this a "racial" thing, but (and I believe I've brought this up before) here's what comes up begging to my car window - in order of appearance:

    White male
    Black male
    White woman
    Black woman

    NEVER have I seen Hispanic, Asian, Indian, or "other" - and keep in mind I'm in So Cal - straight up just begging for money. So, draw your own conclusions from that. But @Vanzack - I'm sure you know as well as I do there's other ways to help out other than just handing out $$$$ at a stoplight.....

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    I have put a lot of thought in to this.

    As a fellow human, I feel compelled to help.  But I really dont know if giving them money is helping, or hurting.

    So I carry prepackaged food in my car, like rice and things that are fully cooked and dont require preparation.  Breakfast bars etc.

    I give these out.

    I dont know if it is right or wrong, I dont know if it encourages panhandling or not - I just dont know.  

    But I do think about it a lot.




    See, now we need a survey of how much of your "prepackaged food" hits your back window as you drive away. I don't know where you live, but in So Cal, that ain't flying, my friend.....
    Also, not to make this a "racial" thing, but (and I believe I've brought this up before) here's what comes up begging to my car window - in order of appearance:

    White male
    Black male
    White woman
    Black woman

    NEVER have I seen Hispanic, Asian, Indian, or "other" - and keep in mind I'm in So Cal - straight up just begging for money. So, draw your own conclusions from that. But @Vanzack - I'm sure you know as well as I do there's other ways to help out other than just handing out $$$$ at a stoplight.....

     
    TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2003
    Posts: 32362
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2017 - 6:15 PM ET #5


    One thing I'm always asked  for (and I carry two or three extras) is Water.  And yes, Breakfast Bars are a good idea.  Neither is going to bankrupt me and it's better than giving cash.
    ~~~~~ZOSO~~~~~
    Reply

    One thing I'm always asked  for (and I carry two or three extras) is Water.  And yes, Breakfast Bars are a good idea.  Neither is going to bankrupt me and it's better than giving cash.
     
    165yds
    165yds
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 18777
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2017 - 6:18 PM ET #6

    Vanzack those prepackaged goods are going in the garbage as they curse your name.  I can't believe you would even think of doing this. 

    Funny you say this gimme if I think about it 95% are white.  The women are always strung out.
    Reply
    Vanzack those prepackaged goods are going in the garbage as they curse your name.  I can't believe you would even think of doing this. 

    Funny you say this gimme if I think about it 95% are white.  The women are always strung out.
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2017 - 6:30 PM ET #7

    I have tons of felt tip markers.  I'm going to start giving these out.

    Thanks for the idea Gimme.  

    I know how it's like to want to "wet your whistle" and don't have the loot to buy the booze, but then again, high school was a good 15 years ago.  

    NYC panhandlers make a lot of dough.  
    Reply
    I have tons of felt tip markers.  I'm going to start giving these out.

    Thanks for the idea Gimme.  

    I know how it's like to want to "wet your whistle" and don't have the loot to buy the booze, but then again, high school was a good 15 years ago.  

    NYC panhandlers make a lot of dough.  
     
    Johnzimbo34
    Johnzimbo34
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2010
    Posts: 1299
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2017 - 7:15 PM ET #8

    I don't often give cash or change but this was funny...a few years ago I went into my dermatologist and had a treatment done on my face where afterwards you can't be exposed to sunlight for a day or two.

    They give you a cheap brown/ski mask/bank robber mask to wear home, and as I am stopped at the freeway on-ramp there is a guy with no legs in a wheelchair begging. I grab some change and reach out the window, he sees me doing this and starts rolling towards me, then sees my mask and stops dead, thinks for a couple seconds, then continues. 

    I think for a second he was like "this bank robber is giving me some cash he just stole"
    Reply
    I don't often give cash or change but this was funny...a few years ago I went into my dermatologist and had a treatment done on my face where afterwards you can't be exposed to sunlight for a day or two.

    They give you a cheap brown/ski mask/bank robber mask to wear home, and as I am stopped at the freeway on-ramp there is a guy with no legs in a wheelchair begging. I grab some change and reach out the window, he sees me doing this and starts rolling towards me, then sees my mask and stops dead, thinks for a couple seconds, then continues. 

    I think for a second he was like "this bank robber is giving me some cash he just stole"
     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2017 - 7:25 PM ET #9

    Quote Originally Posted by 165yds:

    Vanzack those prepackaged goods are going in the garbage as they curse your name.  I can't believe you would even think of doing this. 

    Funny you say this gimme if I think about it 95% are white.  The women are always strung out.
    What city do you live in, 165?
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by 165yds:

    Vanzack those prepackaged goods are going in the garbage as they curse your name.  I can't believe you would even think of doing this. 

    Funny you say this gimme if I think about it 95% are white.  The women are always strung out.
    What city do you live in, 165?
     
    Midnight1
    Midnight1
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2007
    Posts: 25514
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2017 - 8:47 PM ET #10

    It's hard to believe an able bodied right minded person would choose this destination in life. So I rather help those in need & if someone is a scammer, so be it. 
    Reply
    It's hard to believe an able bodied right minded person would choose this destination in life. So I rather help those in need & if someone is a scammer, so be it. 
     
    Crusher13
    Crusher13
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2009
    Posts: 8055
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 12:34 AM ET #11

    A good story to share..driving to racebook with baby bro and his buddy to bet this years KY derby...they are both hammered..bro spots old white VET panhandling(although he did look hispanic)  and makes me throw dude a $20 from him ...I'm like WTF??..thought he was nutz....

    Well we all now how karma works....drunken baby bro hits 8-1 shot for $20 on first race he plays.....true story..


    Agree with GG...water best handout..otherwise you're just enabling them....

    Reply
    A good story to share..driving to racebook with baby bro and his buddy to bet this years KY derby...they are both hammered..bro spots old white VET panhandling(although he did look hispanic)  and makes me throw dude a $20 from him ...I'm like WTF??..thought he was nutz....

    Well we all now how karma works....drunken baby bro hits 8-1 shot for $20 on first race he plays.....true story..


    Agree with GG...water best handout..otherwise you're just enabling them....

     
    THEMUGG
    THEMUGG
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2003
    Posts: 38234
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 12:07 PM ET #12

     I used to occasionally throw someone a buck or two......years ago. But it seems as though there are panhandlers on every off ramp & grocery store parking lot nowadays.
    Reply
     I used to occasionally throw someone a buck or two......years ago. But it seems as though there are panhandlers on every off ramp & grocery store parking lot nowadays.
     
    SarasotaSlim
    SarasotaSlim
    Covers Rehab
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 35522
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 12:27 PM ET #13

    Remnants of Obama's America......
    Reply
    Remnants of Obama's America......
     
    BWS77
    BWS77
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 35351
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 12:29 PM ET #14

    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaSlim:

    Remnants of Obama's America......

    Yes Slim...  there were no homeless people prior to 2009.   
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaSlim:

    Remnants of Obama's America......

    Yes Slim...  there were no homeless people prior to 2009.   
     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 1:06 PM ET #15

    Yeah, Slim, i'm usually on your side but that was a ridiculous statement.
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    Yeah, Slim, i'm usually on your side but that was a ridiculous statement.
     
    SarasotaSlim
    SarasotaSlim
    Covers Rehab
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 35522
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 1:14 PM ET #16

    Quote Originally Posted by BWS77:


    Yes Slim...  there were no homeless people prior to 2009.   


    Oh there were homeless pre-2009 ,,just not as many..
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by BWS77:


    Yes Slim...  there were no homeless people prior to 2009.   


    Oh there were homeless pre-2009 ,,just not as many..
     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 1:15 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:

    Yeah, Slim, i'm usually on your side but that was a ridiculous statement.



    not nearly the most ridiculous statement is this thread so far though. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:

    Yeah, Slim, i'm usually on your side but that was a ridiculous statement.



    not nearly the most ridiculous statement is this thread so far though. 
     
    GimmeMoneyNow
    GimmeMoneyNow
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2015
    Posts: 2874
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 1:32 PM ET #18

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


    One thing I'm always asked  for (and I carry two or three extras) is Water.  And yes, Breakfast Bars are a good idea.  Neither is going to bankrupt me and it's better than giving cash.


    While I do like the idea of handing out a bottle of water (especially right now in Cali), my only issue with this is you've now handed over a projectile that can be used against you or your car - you might as well hand them a rock. And right now a breakfast bar would turn to mush if I left them in my hot-@$$ car. Maybe I'll try it when fall/winter comes.....
    Also, where it used to be "do you have any spare change" and a "God Bless" (even if you didn't give them any money) as you walked past them, or sat at a stoplight or off ramp, has been replaced with an "aggressive" walking up to your car as you're parking, knocking on your window, and asking/demanding $5 - - Five Bucks?!?!? Really? GTFOH!!!!
    Finally, 165yds touched on it earlier, but it bears repeating. If you're legitimately "starving" here in America, in 2017 - that's on you. There's free food fu##ing everywhere! So, we all know what the $$$$ is being used for - and that's the main reason I NEVER hand out cash, but I might try the breakfast bar thing when it cools down.





    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose:


    One thing I'm always asked  for (and I carry two or three extras) is Water.  And yes, Breakfast Bars are a good idea.  Neither is going to bankrupt me and it's better than giving cash.


    While I do like the idea of handing out a bottle of water (especially right now in Cali), my only issue with this is you've now handed over a projectile that can be used against you or your car - you might as well hand them a rock. And right now a breakfast bar would turn to mush if I left them in my hot-@$$ car. Maybe I'll try it when fall/winter comes.....
    Also, where it used to be "do you have any spare change" and a "God Bless" (even if you didn't give them any money) as you walked past them, or sat at a stoplight or off ramp, has been replaced with an "aggressive" walking up to your car as you're parking, knocking on your window, and asking/demanding $5 - - Five Bucks?!?!? Really? GTFOH!!!!
    Finally, 165yds touched on it earlier, but it bears repeating. If you're legitimately "starving" here in America, in 2017 - that's on you. There's free food fu##ing everywhere! So, we all know what the $$$$ is being used for - and that's the main reason I NEVER hand out cash, but I might try the breakfast bar thing when it cools down.





     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 2:11 PM ET #19

    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaSlim:



    Oh there were homeless pre-2009 ,,just not as many..
    There weren't as many people pre-2009 either. That Obama was so terrible that it made people want to stay in the house and bone.
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaSlim:



    Oh there were homeless pre-2009 ,,just not as many..
    There weren't as many people pre-2009 either. That Obama was so terrible that it made people want to stay in the house and bone.
     
    666LES
    666LES
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 4321
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 2:38 PM ET #20

    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaSlim:



    Oh there were homeless pre-2009 ,,just not as many..
    Before it was DIY cottage industry, there were Winos,Hobos,Hippies,and Junkies.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaSlim:



    Oh there were homeless pre-2009 ,,just not as many..
    Before it was DIY cottage industry, there were Winos,Hobos,Hippies,and Junkies.
     
    vanzack
    vanzack
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2001
    Posts: 60107
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 3:20 PM ET #21

    I see the consensus is that most panhandlers are frauds.

    Probably true.  But what follows is an interesting human dynamic that can be extrapolated to any situation.  Health care, welfare, capitalism etc.

    Do you punish the unknown few because of the known abusers?

    I try not to.  So if I hand out breakfast bars or cash to 99 people who dont want it, and throw it out or at me, but 1 does - thats OK with me.  Doesn't make me feel stupid, doesn't affect my lifestyle, it is really nothing - but I assume the one that needs help is worth helping.

    Kind of like throwing out the whole welfare system because 2% of welfare receipients are abusers.

    Just my opinion....

    Support your local animal shelter. I am on twitter.
    Reply
    I see the consensus is that most panhandlers are frauds.

    Probably true.  But what follows is an interesting human dynamic that can be extrapolated to any situation.  Health care, welfare, capitalism etc.

    Do you punish the unknown few because of the known abusers?

    I try not to.  So if I hand out breakfast bars or cash to 99 people who dont want it, and throw it out or at me, but 1 does - thats OK with me.  Doesn't make me feel stupid, doesn't affect my lifestyle, it is really nothing - but I assume the one that needs help is worth helping.

    Kind of like throwing out the whole welfare system because 2% of welfare receipients are abusers.

    Just my opinion....

     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 3:48 PM ET #22

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    I see the consensus is that most panhandlers are frauds.

    Probably true.  But what follows is an interesting human dynamic that can be extrapolated to any situation.  Health care, welfare, capitalism etc.

    Do you punish the unknown few because of the known abusers?

    I try not to.  So if I hand out breakfast bars or cash to 99 people who dont want it, and throw it out or at me, but 1 does - thats OK with me.  Doesn't make me feel stupid, doesn't affect my lifestyle, it is really nothing - but I assume the one that needs help is worth helping.

    Kind of like throwing out the whole welfare system because 2% of welfare receipients are abusers.

    Just my opinion....



    you can put me down for not believing most of them are frauds.  there are, in fact, poor and homeless people out there who need help.  i think people latch on to the idea that they are frauds because it makes them feel better about not doing anything to help and not giving a sh*t about them.


    when i was in san francisco, i lived in the hood initially and my first few days, i would give the homeless some change.  people told me i can't do that or they will start to swarm me.  and they weren't lying. aftera  week, i couldn't get very far without being accosted.  so i stopped giving them change but developed a policy where i would try to take leftover food with me and give it to someone on the street.  not always, but as often as i could.  we do that now when we go out to eat on vacation in big cities. 

    it's amazing how much food is wasted in restaurants.  if all of that food could be given to homeless people, it would make a big difference.  people should consider having leftovers at restaurants boxed up rather than thrown out so they can give it to someone who needs it.

     
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by vanzack:

    I see the consensus is that most panhandlers are frauds.

    Probably true.  But what follows is an interesting human dynamic that can be extrapolated to any situation.  Health care, welfare, capitalism etc.

    Do you punish the unknown few because of the known abusers?

    I try not to.  So if I hand out breakfast bars or cash to 99 people who dont want it, and throw it out or at me, but 1 does - thats OK with me.  Doesn't make me feel stupid, doesn't affect my lifestyle, it is really nothing - but I assume the one that needs help is worth helping.

    Kind of like throwing out the whole welfare system because 2% of welfare receipients are abusers.

    Just my opinion....



    you can put me down for not believing most of them are frauds.  there are, in fact, poor and homeless people out there who need help.  i think people latch on to the idea that they are frauds because it makes them feel better about not doing anything to help and not giving a sh*t about them.


    when i was in san francisco, i lived in the hood initially and my first few days, i would give the homeless some change.  people told me i can't do that or they will start to swarm me.  and they weren't lying. aftera  week, i couldn't get very far without being accosted.  so i stopped giving them change but developed a policy where i would try to take leftover food with me and give it to someone on the street.  not always, but as often as i could.  we do that now when we go out to eat on vacation in big cities. 

    it's amazing how much food is wasted in restaurants.  if all of that food could be given to homeless people, it would make a big difference.  people should consider having leftovers at restaurants boxed up rather than thrown out so they can give it to someone who needs it.

     
     
    Slobbasaurus
    Slobbasaurus
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 7150
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 4:00 PM ET #23

    This is what's really going on. 

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWg8SPe8ShQ

    Hahahaha
    Reply
    This is what's really going on. 

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWg8SPe8ShQ

    Hahahaha
     
    StumpTownStu
    StumpTownStu
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2016
    Posts: 22234
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 4:51 PM ET #24

    Quote Originally Posted by ClubDirt:



    you can put me down for not believing most of them are frauds.  there are, in fact, poor and homeless people out there who need help.  i think people latch on to the idea that they are frauds because it makes them feel better about not doing anything to help and not giving a sh*t about them.


    when i was in san francisco, i lived in the hood initially and my first few days, i would give the homeless some change.  people told me i can't do that or they will start to swarm me.  and they weren't lying. aftera  week, i couldn't get very far without being accosted.  so i stopped giving them change but developed a policy where i would try to take leftover food with me and give it to someone on the street.  not always, but as often as i could.  we do that now when we go out to eat on vacation in big cities. 

    it's amazing how much food is wasted in restaurants.  if all of that food could be given to homeless people, it would make a big difference.  people should consider having leftovers at restaurants boxed up rather than thrown out so they can give it to someone who needs it.

     

    San Francisco is the worst. I'm glad i'm an East Bay boy. I grown to love the city but man, i'm talking human sh!t everywhere. People shootin up everywhere. Sad thing is that the homeless problem has spread into the eastbay as well. They came in like a wave with the gentrification.
    R.I.P. #94 MARSHAWN KNEELAND - DC4L
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ClubDirt:



    you can put me down for not believing most of them are frauds.  there are, in fact, poor and homeless people out there who need help.  i think people latch on to the idea that they are frauds because it makes them feel better about not doing anything to help and not giving a sh*t about them.


    when i was in san francisco, i lived in the hood initially and my first few days, i would give the homeless some change.  people told me i can't do that or they will start to swarm me.  and they weren't lying. aftera  week, i couldn't get very far without being accosted.  so i stopped giving them change but developed a policy where i would try to take leftover food with me and give it to someone on the street.  not always, but as often as i could.  we do that now when we go out to eat on vacation in big cities. 

    it's amazing how much food is wasted in restaurants.  if all of that food could be given to homeless people, it would make a big difference.  people should consider having leftovers at restaurants boxed up rather than thrown out so they can give it to someone who needs it.

     

    San Francisco is the worst. I'm glad i'm an East Bay boy. I grown to love the city but man, i'm talking human sh!t everywhere. People shootin up everywhere. Sad thing is that the homeless problem has spread into the eastbay as well. They came in like a wave with the gentrification.
     
     
    ClubDirt
    ClubDirt
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 28196
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2017 - 5:00 PM ET #25

    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:


    San Francisco is the worst. I'm glad i'm an East Bay boy. I grown to love the city but man, i'm talking human sh!t everywhere. People shootin up everywhere. Sad thing is that the homeless problem has spread into the eastbay as well. They came in like a wave with the gentrification.


    east bay folks aren't tough enough to live in the tenderloin.  too soft.  you guys might make it in pacific heights. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpTownStu:


    San Francisco is the worst. I'm glad i'm an East Bay boy. I grown to love the city but man, i'm talking human sh!t everywhere. People shootin up everywhere. Sad thing is that the homeless problem has spread into the eastbay as well. They came in like a wave with the gentrification.


    east bay folks aren't tough enough to live in the tenderloin.  too soft.  you guys might make it in pacific heights. 
    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,609
    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 450,429
    • Sunday 09/27/2026 504
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,106
    • Rams vs Broncos in game live SNF 2,700
    • Sunday 3,122
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 101,938
    • HELP PLEASE 1,471
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 13,566
    • NFL Sunday 7,441

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.