May Stock Talk II
DRYS earnings on Monday too.
Something tells me they sell off..all 3 have been up huge, DRYS and EXM of course I watch more.
Why did you go so far up on those calls? For those stocks being up 15 pts in a month and you are almost square on the strike, what is going on there?
RIO is wacky..how about the run in ENER?
I will buy a realistic dip in DRYS, knowing what I do, I cannot own EXM or TBSI or DSX. Most other public bulkers have locked in rates for most of their fleets and will NOT benefit on the move in rates like DRYS will this year, plus the investments made lately will pay off for years for DRYS.
Yeah I know I prefer DRYS but I cannot own the others, they have locked in lousy rates and are missing out on this monster BDI move.
DRYS earnings on Monday too.
Something tells me they sell off..all 3 have been up huge, DRYS and EXM of course I watch more.
Why did you go so far up on those calls? For those stocks being up 15 pts in a month and you are almost square on the strike, what is going on there?
RIO is wacky..how about the run in ENER?
I will buy a realistic dip in DRYS, knowing what I do, I cannot own EXM or TBSI or DSX. Most other public bulkers have locked in rates for most of their fleets and will NOT benefit on the move in rates like DRYS will this year, plus the investments made lately will pay off for years for DRYS.
Yeah I know I prefer DRYS but I cannot own the others, they have locked in lousy rates and are missing out on this monster BDI move.
Not sure if you have seen this-
NMM
Check out the fleet on Navios-
Fleet
They have lots of vessels on order and some BRUTAL charter rates..locked in for a long time which means they wont participate in the BDI move compared to a stock like Golden Oceans
Drys of course is my favorite but it is riskier..
NMM and NM are less riskier plays and if I was trying to take a less risky approach I would probably with DSX or EXM, but none of the long term charter stocks will benefit like DRYS, and conversely if the BDI comes in, DRYS will come in stronger and harder.
Not sure if you have seen this-
NMM
Check out the fleet on Navios-
Fleet
They have lots of vessels on order and some BRUTAL charter rates..locked in for a long time which means they wont participate in the BDI move compared to a stock like Golden Oceans
Drys of course is my favorite but it is riskier..
NMM and NM are less riskier plays and if I was trying to take a less risky approach I would probably with DSX or EXM, but none of the long term charter stocks will benefit like DRYS, and conversely if the BDI comes in, DRYS will come in stronger and harder.
I retain 50% of original buy in DRYS, (sold programmatically when it hit 100), and while I thought I should just re buy DRYS, I was looking at a completely unrelated program and that symbol popped up, which I was going to skip until I noticed it was a shipper.
At what point P/E would you think DRYS fully valued? It is at 8 now which still makes me scratch my head...
I retain 50% of original buy in DRYS, (sold programmatically when it hit 100), and while I thought I should just re buy DRYS, I was looking at a completely unrelated program and that symbol popped up, which I was going to skip until I noticed it was a shipper.
At what point P/E would you think DRYS fully valued? It is at 8 now which still makes me scratch my head...
Earlier in the week, while conceding that there was clear evidence of central bank intervention in the currency markets, I dismissed intervention in the stock markets as fanciful. Now I am not so sure. There are no signs of anything untoward on the Dow, apart from the index rising on suspiciously low volumes. However, there are clear signs of co-ordinated support on the FTSE 100 — while volumes, again, are unusually low. The market normally has a pulse, ebbing and flowing every few days, even when in a narrow consolidation. From April 21, the pulse disappeared, with the index flat-lining at fixed levels of 6050, then 6090, then 6200. That is a decidedly odd pattern for a market index and is normally encountered in currency or treasury markets when there is central bank intervention.
None of this is hard evidence, but it is suspicious. If true, one thing you can be sure of is that the purpose is not to protect the small investor — but to save the financial sector from their excesses. Short-term traders would welcome any such intervention: they basically get a free ride for as long as the safety net is in place. The problem is: how far will the market correct when the safety net is removed? Long-term investors should bear in mind that current activity is most likely a continuation of the market top, rather than commencement of a new bull market.
We often read of the efficient market theory, where price reflects all information available to market participants. At times I get the feeling that the market is driven more by the collective interest of participants than by information. Supporters of the theory may find it difficult to explain what drove the Dow to a new high in October 2007, two months after the break of the sub-prime crisis — when the fear index (below) had spiked into the red zone (above 1.0%).
Earlier in the week, while conceding that there was clear evidence of central bank intervention in the currency markets, I dismissed intervention in the stock markets as fanciful. Now I am not so sure. There are no signs of anything untoward on the Dow, apart from the index rising on suspiciously low volumes. However, there are clear signs of co-ordinated support on the FTSE 100 — while volumes, again, are unusually low. The market normally has a pulse, ebbing and flowing every few days, even when in a narrow consolidation. From April 21, the pulse disappeared, with the index flat-lining at fixed levels of 6050, then 6090, then 6200. That is a decidedly odd pattern for a market index and is normally encountered in currency or treasury markets when there is central bank intervention.
None of this is hard evidence, but it is suspicious. If true, one thing you can be sure of is that the purpose is not to protect the small investor — but to save the financial sector from their excesses. Short-term traders would welcome any such intervention: they basically get a free ride for as long as the safety net is in place. The problem is: how far will the market correct when the safety net is removed? Long-term investors should bear in mind that current activity is most likely a continuation of the market top, rather than commencement of a new bull market.
We often read of the efficient market theory, where price reflects all information available to market participants. At times I get the feeling that the market is driven more by the collective interest of participants than by information. Supporters of the theory may find it difficult to explain what drove the Dow to a new high in October 2007, two months after the break of the sub-prime crisis — when the fear index (below) had spiked into the red zone (above 1.0%).
|
The earthquake that rocked China has pushed already-soaring dry bulk shipping rates higher on speculation that the disaster will fuel demand. As the production of commodities and the ability to transport them from the affected areas to the Chinese coast is impacted by the earthquake, seaside areas will need more imports since they won’t be able to rely on domestic supplies to satisfy demand. In the near term, this is what’s pushing up shipping rates, said Jefferies analyst Douglas Mavrinac. In the longer term, the rebuilding efforts in the affected areas will require construction materials that will need to be shipped in, which will push rates even higher, added Mavrinac. “This adds a little tightness to an already tight market,” Mavrinac said. Lazard Capital Markets analyst Urs Dur said China is certainly going to have more infrastructure issues going forward. “The Chinese will probably be reviewing their building regulations and repairing everything that has been damaged, which will require more cement and steel,” said Dur. “It’s morbid to think about, but it should be another support for dry bulk demand over the next 12 months.” “Before the earthquake, rates on capesize vessels, those too big to fit through the Panama or Suez canals, had skyrocketed over 70% to $190,000, up from $110,000, in the prior year. Recently a number of events have caused rates to soar: iron exports from Brazil are returning to normal levels after being curtailed in the first quarter because of price negotiations; Fortescue Metals Group is ramping up to be a major iron ore exporter in Australia, which is driving demand for vessels; coal exports out of Australia and the United States have been rising; and China has low inventories of coking coal, used to make steel, which increases the near term demand to move coking coal from South Africa and Australia for steel production. And this...from Forbes
| ||||
