• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | Investments

    Some sound advice for this forum....buy and hold!

    «First Previous 123 Next Last»
    gambleholic63
    dopeman
    Rush51
    BRYANTBARZAL
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 4306
    Posts: 66
    «First Previous 123 Next Last»
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Feb. 5, 2018 - 3:53 PM ET #26

    What an exciting time in the markets. As this thread title implies, I am not a trader....I don't try to time the markets. The boatload of money I made in the markets in January has gone "poof" in 4 trading days. I am not surprised at all. This is healthy for the markets and something the markets needed. 

    The facts are this: 

    *Earnings are beating estimates 9 out of 10. 

    *Wages are incresing. 

    *Jobs are increasing with unemployment at near all time lows. 

    *GNP has touched or exceeded 3% for the last three quarters in more than a decade.

    Bottom line....the market will end the year higher and this will be just another blip that scared out investers that are not commited to the long haul. BUY AND HOLD and you will prosper.

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    What an exciting time in the markets. As this thread title implies, I am not a trader....I don't try to time the markets. The boatload of money I made in the markets in January has gone "poof" in 4 trading days. I am not surprised at all. This is healthy for the markets and something the markets needed. 

    The facts are this: 

    *Earnings are beating estimates 9 out of 10. 

    *Wages are incresing. 

    *Jobs are increasing with unemployment at near all time lows. 

    *GNP has touched or exceeded 3% for the last three quarters in more than a decade.

    Bottom line....the market will end the year higher and this will be just another blip that scared out investers that are not commited to the long haul. BUY AND HOLD and you will prosper.

     
    dopeman
    dopeman
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2007
    Posts: 1574
    Posted: Mar. 11, 2018 - 1:09 AM ET #27

    agree with you completely...buy and hold. Mostly hold etf's, with a few solid individual stocks. I re-invest all my dividends, and don't look back.

    wish i had got in on Amazon... just keeps going up and up.
    Reply
    agree with you completely...buy and hold. Mostly hold etf's, with a few solid individual stocks. I re-invest all my dividends, and don't look back.

    wish i had got in on Amazon... just keeps going up and up.
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Mar. 26, 2018 - 4:22 PM ET #28

    The market bottom retest from last weeks lows has clearly set a floor for markets here in the USA. Generally market bottoms are retested and this bounce back today sets a buyable floor at 2,588 on the s&p. Any sell off in this range will be bought agressively.

    All of this noise in the form of tarrifs and fed rate hikes has proven to be a buying opportunity. I would not be surprised to see the markets build off of this momentum and provide 8-10% gains across the board in 2018. Earnings have been consistenlty strong, and the economy is showing no signs of slowing. 

    I suspect come the summer months when many of the traders take vacations and trading volume disspates, the market volatility will go away and the markets will trickle higher without the huge swings. 

    Buy and hold!

     

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    The market bottom retest from last weeks lows has clearly set a floor for markets here in the USA. Generally market bottoms are retested and this bounce back today sets a buyable floor at 2,588 on the s&p. Any sell off in this range will be bought agressively.

    All of this noise in the form of tarrifs and fed rate hikes has proven to be a buying opportunity. I would not be surprised to see the markets build off of this momentum and provide 8-10% gains across the board in 2018. Earnings have been consistenlty strong, and the economy is showing no signs of slowing. 

    I suspect come the summer months when many of the traders take vacations and trading volume disspates, the market volatility will go away and the markets will trickle higher without the huge swings. 

    Buy and hold!

     

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Apr. 17, 2018 - 12:04 PM ET #29

    Earnings season is going better than expected and the markets are off to the races as I predicted. I doubt we see a retest of the 2588 level on the S&P at this point without a war with Syria or N. Korea. It's time to make $$$$$ in 2018!

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Earnings season is going better than expected and the markets are off to the races as I predicted. I doubt we see a retest of the 2588 level on the S&P at this point without a war with Syria or N. Korea. It's time to make $$$$$ in 2018!

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: May. 21, 2018 - 12:50 PM ET #30

    The s&p is up 5% since the correction lows. Support at 2588 was outstanding as I predicted yet this thread has gone as stale as last months milk carton at the back of the fridge. I hope someone benefited out there. 5% of a portfolio is good money!

    Good luck to all.....Buy and Hold!

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    The s&p is up 5% since the correction lows. Support at 2588 was outstanding as I predicted yet this thread has gone as stale as last months milk carton at the back of the fridge. I hope someone benefited out there. 5% of a portfolio is good money!

    Good luck to all.....Buy and Hold!

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jun. 6, 2018 - 6:01 PM ET #31

    The VIX dropped to below $12 today. This is a bullish indicator for stocks...….looks like the summer stock market melt up is well underway!

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    The VIX dropped to below $12 today. This is a bullish indicator for stocks...….looks like the summer stock market melt up is well underway!

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Jun. 24, 2018 - 12:04 AM ET #32

    Gamble, congrats on your success.  Good to see others like you believe in the buy & hold strategy of good, sound companies.  I'd encourage most people starting out buying  a low cost index fund, instead of stocks, until they are comfortable enough doing so.  Index Funds are more diversified and can avoid folks becoming discouraged with bad stock picks.

    But Buy and Hold IS the way to go !! 

    Reply

    Gamble, congrats on your success.  Good to see others like you believe in the buy & hold strategy of good, sound companies.  I'd encourage most people starting out buying  a low cost index fund, instead of stocks, until they are comfortable enough doing so.  Index Funds are more diversified and can avoid folks becoming discouraged with bad stock picks.

    But Buy and Hold IS the way to go !! 

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2018 - 2:18 PM ET #33

    ^^ I would disagree with the love for penny stocks.  You are far better off leaving the gambling to sports, and looking at stocks as an investment for your future wealth..
    Reply
    ^^ I would disagree with the love for penny stocks.  You are far better off leaving the gambling to sports, and looking at stocks as an investment for your future wealth..
     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jun. 28, 2018 - 10:14 PM ET #34

    Quote Originally Posted by Rush51:

    ^^ I would disagree with the love for penny stocks.  You are far better off leaving the gambling to sports, and looking at stocks as an investment for your future wealth..

    Rush. I have been investing successfully for over 3 decades and the one thing I have learned is this. Investing is not a magic trick....it takes dedication in the form of patience and hard work! Since I enjoy it, I don't consider it work....more like a hobby that makes money.

    However, since successful investing takes a lot of time (years, if not decades) and effort there will always be lazy people looking to pull off a magic trick in the form of penny stocks or other similarly flawed investments. I suppose those are the same people playing 10 team parlays and buying lottery tickets on a daily basis. Unfortunately, nothing you or I say will get them to stop.

     

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Rush51:

    ^^ I would disagree with the love for penny stocks.  You are far better off leaving the gambling to sports, and looking at stocks as an investment for your future wealth..

    Rush. I have been investing successfully for over 3 decades and the one thing I have learned is this. Investing is not a magic trick....it takes dedication in the form of patience and hard work! Since I enjoy it, I don't consider it work....more like a hobby that makes money.

    However, since successful investing takes a lot of time (years, if not decades) and effort there will always be lazy people looking to pull off a magic trick in the form of penny stocks or other similarly flawed investments. I suppose those are the same people playing 10 team parlays and buying lottery tickets on a daily basis. Unfortunately, nothing you or I say will get them to stop.

     

     
    BRYANTBARZAL
    BRYANTBARZAL
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jun, 2018
    Posts: 300
    Posted: Jul. 10, 2018 - 11:16 PM ET #35

    I tend to agree with you. I would never buy penny stocks as they are the slow road to the poor house. I remeber my Mother buying them investing $1500-$2500 on each one and she probably cought 20+ penny stocks at that. When I settled my parents estate each was worth $0. Also trying to time buying and selling stocks (flipping) will usually only put money in a brokers pocket.

    I'm not against pulling profit from a long term stock, but yes here comes the Capital Gains Tax. As holic63 said in a qualified investment this won't happen if you re-invest it but you just owned a profitable stock so picking another not so easy.

    Mutual funds in my opinion is the way to go for most people with the ability to leave the money alone without panic. Find a good mid to large cap fund (based on risk tollerance) and just know you will earn an average of 8%-10% over that decade even with record losing days during the period. Make sure to find a/several funds with a long track record and research how long the current manager has been managing it and his performance. For goodness sake, try to buy directly from the managing company, but if using a broker or agent buy A type shares. Yes you will pay a fee up front but the internal cost in A shares are lower and owning the B shares with a back end load will be more expensive if you keep it there for 3+ years usually.

    I also think the market is do for a correction and myself personally have been buying Puts on the S&P and NASDAQ with espiration dates in April-June of 2019 and a few for this Nov and Dec when I think there will be a Bear after the mid term elections.

    Reply

    I tend to agree with you. I would never buy penny stocks as they are the slow road to the poor house. I remeber my Mother buying them investing $1500-$2500 on each one and she probably cought 20+ penny stocks at that. When I settled my parents estate each was worth $0. Also trying to time buying and selling stocks (flipping) will usually only put money in a brokers pocket.

    I'm not against pulling profit from a long term stock, but yes here comes the Capital Gains Tax. As holic63 said in a qualified investment this won't happen if you re-invest it but you just owned a profitable stock so picking another not so easy.

    Mutual funds in my opinion is the way to go for most people with the ability to leave the money alone without panic. Find a good mid to large cap fund (based on risk tollerance) and just know you will earn an average of 8%-10% over that decade even with record losing days during the period. Make sure to find a/several funds with a long track record and research how long the current manager has been managing it and his performance. For goodness sake, try to buy directly from the managing company, but if using a broker or agent buy A type shares. Yes you will pay a fee up front but the internal cost in A shares are lower and owning the B shares with a back end load will be more expensive if you keep it there for 3+ years usually.

    I also think the market is do for a correction and myself personally have been buying Puts on the S&P and NASDAQ with espiration dates in April-June of 2019 and a few for this Nov and Dec when I think there will be a Bear after the mid term elections.

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jul. 11, 2018 - 12:10 PM ET #36

    Bryant....In regard to your view that the market is due for a correction, you might be right or you might be wrong. The reality is that the direction of the markets is mostly uncertain, making the timing of the markets a tricky proposition. I had friends/family that liquidated after election day in 2016, as it was widely the opinion (of the so called experts) that Hilary was a better choice for the markets when compared to Trump. Those fears (of Trump) capitulated in a span of less than a handful of hours, dealing the bears an unplayable hand and crippling losses. Anyone that sold on that day (and did not buy back) has lost a 33% gain based on the S&P 500. 

    The moral of that story is don't make market decisions based on politics. Brexit and November of 2016 backfired big time on the bears, making any correction for the "buy and hold" camp simply the price of doing business. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Bryant....In regard to your view that the market is due for a correction, you might be right or you might be wrong. The reality is that the direction of the markets is mostly uncertain, making the timing of the markets a tricky proposition. I had friends/family that liquidated after election day in 2016, as it was widely the opinion (of the so called experts) that Hilary was a better choice for the markets when compared to Trump. Those fears (of Trump) capitulated in a span of less than a handful of hours, dealing the bears an unplayable hand and crippling losses. Anyone that sold on that day (and did not buy back) has lost a 33% gain based on the S&P 500. 

    The moral of that story is don't make market decisions based on politics. Brexit and November of 2016 backfired big time on the bears, making any correction for the "buy and hold" camp simply the price of doing business. 

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Jul. 17, 2018 - 4:03 PM ET #37

    Quote Originally Posted by gambleholic63:

    Rush. I have been investing successfully for over 3 decades and the one thing I have learned is this. Investing is not a magic trick....it takes dedication in the form of patience and hard work! Since I enjoy it, I don't consider it work....more like a hobby that makes money.

    However, since successful investing takes a lot of time (years, if not decades) and effort there will always be lazy people looking to pull off a magic trick in the form of penny stocks or other similarly flawed investments. I suppose those are the same people playing 10 team parlays and buying lottery tickets on a daily basis. Unfortunately, nothing you or I say will get them to stop.

     

        I'm in the same boat as you.  Perhaps my earlier post came off as investing is some sort of grueling task, but I enjoy it as well.. I read plenty about finance/stocks because I enjoy it , and that knowledge only helps in my stock portfolio.  I prefer,  however,  to have the vast majority of my $$ in low-cost mutual funds... because I know they perform better in the long-term than active funds (and stock pickers like us)...

      

    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by gambleholic63:

    Rush. I have been investing successfully for over 3 decades and the one thing I have learned is this. Investing is not a magic trick....it takes dedication in the form of patience and hard work! Since I enjoy it, I don't consider it work....more like a hobby that makes money.

    However, since successful investing takes a lot of time (years, if not decades) and effort there will always be lazy people looking to pull off a magic trick in the form of penny stocks or other similarly flawed investments. I suppose those are the same people playing 10 team parlays and buying lottery tickets on a daily basis. Unfortunately, nothing you or I say will get them to stop.

     

        I'm in the same boat as you.  Perhaps my earlier post came off as investing is some sort of grueling task, but I enjoy it as well.. I read plenty about finance/stocks because I enjoy it , and that knowledge only helps in my stock portfolio.  I prefer,  however,  to have the vast majority of my $$ in low-cost mutual funds... because I know they perform better in the long-term than active funds (and stock pickers like us)...

      

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Jul. 17, 2018 - 4:11 PM ET #38

    Quote Originally Posted by BRYANTBARZAL:

    I tend to agree with you. I would never buy penny stocks as they are the slow road to the poor house. I remeber my Mother buying them investing $1500-$2500 on each one and she probably cought 20+ penny stocks at that. When I settled my parents estate each was worth $0. Also trying to time buying and selling stocks (flipping) will usually only put money in a brokers pocket.

    I'm not against pulling profit from a long term stock, but yes here comes the Capital Gains Tax. As holic63 said in a qualified investment this won't happen if you re-invest it but you just owned a profitable stock so picking another not so easy.

    Mutual funds in my opinion is the way to go for most people with the ability to leave the money alone without panic. Find a good mid to large cap fund (based on risk tollerance) and just know you will earn an average of 8%-10% over that decade even with record losing days during the period. Make sure to find a/several funds with a long track record and research how long the current manager has been managing it and his performance. For goodness sake, try to buy directly from the managing company, but if using a broker or agent buy A type shares. Yes you will pay a fee up front but the internal cost in A shares are lower and owning the B shares with a back end load will be more expensive if you keep it there for 3+ years usually.

    I also think the market is do for a correction and myself personally have been buying Puts on the S&P and NASDAQ with espiration dates in April-June of 2019 and a few for this Nov and Dec when I think there will be a Bear after the mid term elections.

    If you follow your own advice I have put in bold, you and anyone else will do well in the stock market.   I only have a couple of caveats to add...

    * prefer to deal with low-cost mutual funds as opposed to active fund managers.  Better performance, lower-cost, lower capital gains tax (because they don't trade as much)....  and for god's sake, no one ever should be paying a mutual fund that has a load..

    * Finally, never try to time the market. No one can do this successfully (over a long period of time ; which should be your time horizon).    Instead, look at market dips as opportunities to buy more.  Stocks are the only thing on earth where people run in the other direction when the "merchandise" goes on sale.



    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by BRYANTBARZAL:

    I tend to agree with you. I would never buy penny stocks as they are the slow road to the poor house. I remeber my Mother buying them investing $1500-$2500 on each one and she probably cought 20+ penny stocks at that. When I settled my parents estate each was worth $0. Also trying to time buying and selling stocks (flipping) will usually only put money in a brokers pocket.

    I'm not against pulling profit from a long term stock, but yes here comes the Capital Gains Tax. As holic63 said in a qualified investment this won't happen if you re-invest it but you just owned a profitable stock so picking another not so easy.

    Mutual funds in my opinion is the way to go for most people with the ability to leave the money alone without panic. Find a good mid to large cap fund (based on risk tollerance) and just know you will earn an average of 8%-10% over that decade even with record losing days during the period. Make sure to find a/several funds with a long track record and research how long the current manager has been managing it and his performance. For goodness sake, try to buy directly from the managing company, but if using a broker or agent buy A type shares. Yes you will pay a fee up front but the internal cost in A shares are lower and owning the B shares with a back end load will be more expensive if you keep it there for 3+ years usually.

    I also think the market is do for a correction and myself personally have been buying Puts on the S&P and NASDAQ with espiration dates in April-June of 2019 and a few for this Nov and Dec when I think there will be a Bear after the mid term elections.

    If you follow your own advice I have put in bold, you and anyone else will do well in the stock market.   I only have a couple of caveats to add...

    * prefer to deal with low-cost mutual funds as opposed to active fund managers.  Better performance, lower-cost, lower capital gains tax (because they don't trade as much)....  and for god's sake, no one ever should be paying a mutual fund that has a load..

    * Finally, never try to time the market. No one can do this successfully (over a long period of time ; which should be your time horizon).    Instead, look at market dips as opportunities to buy more.  Stocks are the only thing on earth where people run in the other direction when the "merchandise" goes on sale.



     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jul. 17, 2018 - 11:56 PM ET #39

    I concur Rush! Most of my funds are in the 0.10-0.20% fee range, although I do own one fund with a 0.58% yearly fee. My extreme low end fee funds are all ETF's which unfortunately tend to shed value quicker in sell offs (in part due to their low fees and ease of exit). But as you said, the time to buy is during extreme sell offs.

    About a decade ago, I began helping a small handful of family/friends with investing and I was disgusted going through their broker statements. Some of the stuff I saw was downright criminal. Fees on top of fees on top of fees! Everyone is entitled to make a living, but investment firms are coming up way short of what I would call "ethical behavior". It's sad, but it puts a premium on the importance of being self educated in regard to your finances. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    I concur Rush! Most of my funds are in the 0.10-0.20% fee range, although I do own one fund with a 0.58% yearly fee. My extreme low end fee funds are all ETF's which unfortunately tend to shed value quicker in sell offs (in part due to their low fees and ease of exit). But as you said, the time to buy is during extreme sell offs.

    About a decade ago, I began helping a small handful of family/friends with investing and I was disgusted going through their broker statements. Some of the stuff I saw was downright criminal. Fees on top of fees on top of fees! Everyone is entitled to make a living, but investment firms are coming up way short of what I would call "ethical behavior". It's sad, but it puts a premium on the importance of being self educated in regard to your finances. 

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Jul. 18, 2018 - 1:58 PM ET #40

      You're right , gamble.. Lots of shady stuff goes on by brokers.  Downright unethical as you mention..

    I don't do ETFs, only index mutual funds..  ETFs are better vehicles for those that like to trade, which may help explain the exodus of people selling in market selloffs (compared to those that own mutual funds).  Since you're a buy and hold individual, have you thought of index mutual funds,  instead.  Could be wrong, but I believe they may be more tax efficient than ETFs,  since the trading done by individuals is kept to a minimum in these index mutual funds. 

    Reply

      You're right , gamble.. Lots of shady stuff goes on by brokers.  Downright unethical as you mention..

    I don't do ETFs, only index mutual funds..  ETFs are better vehicles for those that like to trade, which may help explain the exodus of people selling in market selloffs (compared to those that own mutual funds).  Since you're a buy and hold individual, have you thought of index mutual funds,  instead.  Could be wrong, but I believe they may be more tax efficient than ETFs,  since the trading done by individuals is kept to a minimum in these index mutual funds. 

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Jul. 19, 2018 - 12:49 PM ET #41

    Rush...I do own several index mutual funds. 6 with Vanguard and a handful with Fidelity. Honestly, in this day and age, I believe people can get by with 5 or 6 holdings and be completely diversified. 5 years ago I had nearly 40 different holdings but I have been paring down and am now under 30. I will never get down to 5 or 6, but I would like to get under 20. It's really too much to keep up with. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Rush...I do own several index mutual funds. 6 with Vanguard and a handful with Fidelity. Honestly, in this day and age, I believe people can get by with 5 or 6 holdings and be completely diversified. 5 years ago I had nearly 40 different holdings but I have been paring down and am now under 30. I will never get down to 5 or 6, but I would like to get under 20. It's really too much to keep up with. 

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Sep. 27, 2018 - 2:02 PM ET #42

    I'm sure you guys saw the Fed statements yesterday about how they see continued economic growth through 2021. Combine that with their statement about the lack of inflationary pressures and it all adds up to higher markets, no?

    The target rate of 3.5% should be achieved by late next year at which point the Fed states they intend to remain in a "rate neutral" policy for as long as we avoid a recession. A 3.5% rate would no longer be viewed as "accommodative" nor "stimulating". 

    Isn't this the "Goldilocks" economy that past generations have talked about for USA? 

    Does this bull really have three more years to run? 

    All thoughts on this topic are welcomed.

     

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    I'm sure you guys saw the Fed statements yesterday about how they see continued economic growth through 2021. Combine that with their statement about the lack of inflationary pressures and it all adds up to higher markets, no?

    The target rate of 3.5% should be achieved by late next year at which point the Fed states they intend to remain in a "rate neutral" policy for as long as we avoid a recession. A 3.5% rate would no longer be viewed as "accommodative" nor "stimulating". 

    Isn't this the "Goldilocks" economy that past generations have talked about for USA? 

    Does this bull really have three more years to run? 

    All thoughts on this topic are welcomed.

     

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Feb. 5, 2019 - 3:35 PM ET #43

    I mentioned this in other threads, but I believe by April/May the markets are highly likely to erase the lows from the 20% bear late last year. During non recessionary times, the average recovery rate to new highs from a 20% decline is 182 days. That would put us on pace for a full recovery by the spring of 2019. 

    I know many have the opinion that we have recovered too much, too fast, but history tells us that 20% declines during non recessionary times are merely blips on the radar. Even further, bears during recessionary times, while longer lasting, (median of 18 months) are countered by even stronger bull markets. The bear market average is 10 months including recessionary times. The average bull regardless of GNP is an astounding 30 months!

    All in all, based on history, this makes the past 90 days absolutely the most opportune time to put new capital to work. Case in point, I purchased 100 shares of the SPY at 258 just 27 days ago and have picked up 5.6%. 

    Buy and hold is a path to guaranteed success. Do not ignore the time value of money.....it virtually guarantees success!

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    I mentioned this in other threads, but I believe by April/May the markets are highly likely to erase the lows from the 20% bear late last year. During non recessionary times, the average recovery rate to new highs from a 20% decline is 182 days. That would put us on pace for a full recovery by the spring of 2019. 

    I know many have the opinion that we have recovered too much, too fast, but history tells us that 20% declines during non recessionary times are merely blips on the radar. Even further, bears during recessionary times, while longer lasting, (median of 18 months) are countered by even stronger bull markets. The bear market average is 10 months including recessionary times. The average bull regardless of GNP is an astounding 30 months!

    All in all, based on history, this makes the past 90 days absolutely the most opportune time to put new capital to work. Case in point, I purchased 100 shares of the SPY at 258 just 27 days ago and have picked up 5.6%. 

    Buy and hold is a path to guaranteed success. Do not ignore the time value of money.....it virtually guarantees success!

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Dec. 3, 2019 - 3:23 PM ET #44

    Boom !   Good call on the recovery from earlier this year. 

    Appreciate you sharing those data points on bear markets.

    Reply

    Boom !   Good call on the recovery from earlier this year. 

    Appreciate you sharing those data points on bear markets.

     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Dec. 4, 2019 - 2:04 AM ET #45

    Thanks Rush! I'm not necessarily a technical/chart guy, but I do believe that bull and bear markets are "somewhat" predictable and are a big piece to the puzzle. 

    The current situation we have in the markets is very interesting. I wasn't expecting Trump to send a warning tweet about the trade deal being delayed until 2020. I mean, I expected that would be the case, but I didn't think Trump would admit it as it is in his best interests from a re-election viewpoint. All in all, I think the markets are acting quite orderly. 

     

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Thanks Rush! I'm not necessarily a technical/chart guy, but I do believe that bull and bear markets are "somewhat" predictable and are a big piece to the puzzle. 

    The current situation we have in the markets is very interesting. I wasn't expecting Trump to send a warning tweet about the trade deal being delayed until 2020. I mean, I expected that would be the case, but I didn't think Trump would admit it as it is in his best interests from a re-election viewpoint. All in all, I think the markets are acting quite orderly. 

     

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Dec. 5, 2019 - 12:34 PM ET #46

    I would agree 'Gamble.  The markets are acting quite orderly considering the comments from Trump about delaying the Phase 1 Trade Deal.   Markets should have sold off much more aggressively IMHO.  

    Good for Trump for playing hardball w/ the Chinese, though.  We haven't had any U.S. president stand up for U.S. interests as much as him..   As I pointed out in the other thread, Chinese constantly are playing games and looking to extract further concessions, like a rollback of existing tariffs for Phase 1 Trade Deal.

    Trump & his Trade Representative Lighthizer are holding out on any tariff rollbacks until Phase 2 and 3 (should they ever come to fruition).  Phase 2 and 3 would  address the forced technology transfers & state subsidies cheating that China has engaged in for years... 

    I'm not sure we ever get a Phase 2 or 3 deal, which is why I think the current tariffs stay in place for a lonnnnnnnnng time.


    Reply

    I would agree 'Gamble.  The markets are acting quite orderly considering the comments from Trump about delaying the Phase 1 Trade Deal.   Markets should have sold off much more aggressively IMHO.  

    Good for Trump for playing hardball w/ the Chinese, though.  We haven't had any U.S. president stand up for U.S. interests as much as him..   As I pointed out in the other thread, Chinese constantly are playing games and looking to extract further concessions, like a rollback of existing tariffs for Phase 1 Trade Deal.

    Trump & his Trade Representative Lighthizer are holding out on any tariff rollbacks until Phase 2 and 3 (should they ever come to fruition).  Phase 2 and 3 would  address the forced technology transfers & state subsidies cheating that China has engaged in for years... 

    I'm not sure we ever get a Phase 2 or 3 deal, which is why I think the current tariffs stay in place for a lonnnnnnnnng time.


     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Dec. 5, 2019 - 2:24 PM ET #47

    This country needs to unite and give Trump 4 more years. China is running the old Dean Smith "Four Corners" strategy and it will work if Trump doesn't win. If Trump loses and the Democrats take over, we are basically permanently screwed on trade. 

    Here is what I think/hope happens. 

    Phase one isn't going to be a great deal for the USA and Trump knows it. Trump will let China play their delay tactics to the hilt and will take a "bad deal" somewhere between March-June of next year to complete phase 1. Trump will spin the deal as a glorious victory, and the media (Fox and the financial networks only) will help him out by touting the potential extension of the 10 year Bull Market. With this train of thought, a pullback of the markets leading into the spring of 2020 makes for perfect logic. The pullback will give the markets room to run when Trump puts phase one to ink with the anticipation of phases 2 and 3. The markets will rally on this promise (and rightly so) and Trump will get his 4 more years to tighten the noose on China.  

    The true brilliance from the mind of Trump is splitting this entire deal into three phases. For all his faults, he is a brilliant negotiator. His excellence in this area should not be understated. Without getting China to agree to a 3 phase deal, the scenario above would not be allowed to unfold. 

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    This country needs to unite and give Trump 4 more years. China is running the old Dean Smith "Four Corners" strategy and it will work if Trump doesn't win. If Trump loses and the Democrats take over, we are basically permanently screwed on trade. 

    Here is what I think/hope happens. 

    Phase one isn't going to be a great deal for the USA and Trump knows it. Trump will let China play their delay tactics to the hilt and will take a "bad deal" somewhere between March-June of next year to complete phase 1. Trump will spin the deal as a glorious victory, and the media (Fox and the financial networks only) will help him out by touting the potential extension of the 10 year Bull Market. With this train of thought, a pullback of the markets leading into the spring of 2020 makes for perfect logic. The pullback will give the markets room to run when Trump puts phase one to ink with the anticipation of phases 2 and 3. The markets will rally on this promise (and rightly so) and Trump will get his 4 more years to tighten the noose on China.  

    The true brilliance from the mind of Trump is splitting this entire deal into three phases. For all his faults, he is a brilliant negotiator. His excellence in this area should not be understated. Without getting China to agree to a 3 phase deal, the scenario above would not be allowed to unfold. 

     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Dec. 5, 2019 - 3:06 PM ET #48

    Very well said, 'Gamble.. You covered a lot of ground and I agree with lots you had to say, particularly about Trump's negotiating style.  We'd be screwed (and have been for decades) w/o him. 

    It certainly was brilliant of him to spread the trade deal into different phases.  IMO, this was a product of China's inability to keep their end of the bargain earlier in the year, when trade agreements/discussions "held in principle"  fell through.   When it came to signing the agreement earlier in the year, it was the Phase 2 and Phase 3 "stuff" that the Chinese had crossed out on the signing document.  How nice of them. 


    So, breaking it into phases was a smart move by him.



    Reply

    Very well said, 'Gamble.. You covered a lot of ground and I agree with lots you had to say, particularly about Trump's negotiating style.  We'd be screwed (and have been for decades) w/o him. 

    It certainly was brilliant of him to spread the trade deal into different phases.  IMO, this was a product of China's inability to keep their end of the bargain earlier in the year, when trade agreements/discussions "held in principle"  fell through.   When it came to signing the agreement earlier in the year, it was the Phase 2 and Phase 3 "stuff" that the Chinese had crossed out on the signing document.  How nice of them. 


    So, breaking it into phases was a smart move by him.



     
    gambleholic63
    gambleholic63
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2012
    Posts: 4412
    Posted: Dec. 9, 2019 - 12:30 PM ET #49

    Friday was a day that proved that timing the market is very difficult. All the cards were aligned for the market to continue to drop, yet we had a huge up day. Go figure? confused

    Gamble for entertainment, invest for wealth!
    Reply

    Friday was a day that proved that timing the market is very difficult. All the cards were aligned for the market to continue to drop, yet we had a huge up day. Go figure? confused

     
     
    Rush51
    Rush51
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2005
    Posts: 8841
    Posted: Dec. 9, 2019 - 12:41 PM ET #50

    Yeah, we had an explosive employment report that provided the big gains in the market. Almost 266,000 people added to the job market in November..
    Reply
    Yeah, we had an explosive employment report that provided the big gains in the market. Almost 266,000 people added to the job market in November..
    All Forums | Investments
    «First Previous 123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,277
    • PART DEUX 221
    • Steelers vs Browns in-game live TNF 2,111
    • Cleveland Bettors 2,657
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 103,209
    • Thursday 10/01/2026 755
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 30,181
    • The MLB Playoffs are here. 12,148
    • Happening just recently . . . 36,844
    • We have picked a terrible time to have the stupidest president ever 30,587

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.