• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 3
      NFL Week 3
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Professional Gamblers- Do they really exist?

    12 Next Last»
    jjj888
    DHass22
    OneWayOut
    Danny9999
    bluecompass
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 606
    Posts: 30
    12 Next Last»
     
    jjj888
    jjj888
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2019
    Posts: 170
    Posted: Feb. 7, 2023 - 3:44 PM ET #1

    I am not trying to start any argument, but I do not see how someone can   "make a living"  betting point spreads.

     I know there are " sport gamblers" who have made millions in other things such as stocks or a business  (Mattress Mack), but have any of you actually seen TAX documents of a person who has made a living of say 5 years just off betting sports on a consistent basis? Or a screen shot of total money made from say Fanduel, but not from just one large bet that won??

    Reply
    To remove first post, remove entire topic.

    I am not trying to start any argument, but I do not see how someone can   "make a living"  betting point spreads.

     I know there are " sport gamblers" who have made millions in other things such as stocks or a business  (Mattress Mack), but have any of you actually seen TAX documents of a person who has made a living of say 5 years just off betting sports on a consistent basis? Or a screen shot of total money made from say Fanduel, but not from just one large bet that won??

     
    DHass22
    DHass22
    Rookie
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2011
    Posts: 580
    Posted: Feb. 7, 2023 - 4:32 PM ET #2

    You have to utilize a free source coding program, like python, to get an advantage.

    Reply

    You have to utilize a free source coding program, like python, to get an advantage.

     
    OneWayOut
    OneWayOut
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2021
    Posts: 2135
    Posted: Feb. 7, 2023 - 8:28 PM ET #3

    No….but there are people in these forums who will claim they are. an_roll_laugh

    Reply

    No….but there are people in these forums who will claim they are. an_roll_laugh

     
    Danny9999
    Danny9999
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2021
    Posts: 2025
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2023 - 3:40 AM ET #4

    @jjj888

     It certainly has to expand beyond just point spreads. It's going to be very hard to hit 53% if you bet these regularly.

    #1. Hedging is a great thing and if you are trying to become a professional you should never pass a hedge up. Now I hear people in here say "hedge" when they claim they bet some massive parlay that of course wasn't posted, and they hit the first 11 plays, etc. That's not what I mean. I'm talking about team A -125 team B +135. Never pass that up even though it's a small profit it's still a profit. "When you play for a living you don't give anything away"

    Most bettors wont play that hedge because it ties their limited bankroll up for the night and they are hoping to use said bankroll for a better score. Huge amateur mistake.

    #2. Always look to play futures before and during season. Again amateurs won't do this because they can't tie money up for 2-4 months. If you don't have money to tie up for a measley couple months, you shouldn't be gambling. You should be working a second job because that level of BROKE can't afford to be gambling. Just being honest. So anyway, futures are gold and there are always soft lines because 95% of gamblers won't touch them because of limited bankroll. You can find beautiful hedges here way better than you will find anywhere else. I know right now one book that has Heat to win division -225 and another with Hawks to win division +300. That's because the Wizards are still in the mix but either Heat or Hawks will definitely win it. 

    #3. Don't be afraid to pound bad lines. Seriously screw the books. They don't care if they make you homeless. They have made people homeless and 90% of this board are check to check broke mainly because of gambling. I wish we could post pictures here. Tonight I got Celtics ML live action -500 when they were up 8 with 30 seconds left. Bad lines happens more than you think.I see a bad line, I'm pounding the fk out of it. 

    There are many other ways people can and do win consistently, it's really not just betting point spreads. 

    But nothing matters if you aren't an expert at money management. That's one area I need to get better at. 

    I doubt anyone is going to be a professional if they are limiting themselves to point spreads. Too many games come down to the end and can go either way. But for sure gamblers who use every possible angle, grind hard, and avoid "taking a shot" can and do win consistently. 

     

    Reply

    @jjj888

     It certainly has to expand beyond just point spreads. It's going to be very hard to hit 53% if you bet these regularly.

    #1. Hedging is a great thing and if you are trying to become a professional you should never pass a hedge up. Now I hear people in here say "hedge" when they claim they bet some massive parlay that of course wasn't posted, and they hit the first 11 plays, etc. That's not what I mean. I'm talking about team A -125 team B +135. Never pass that up even though it's a small profit it's still a profit. "When you play for a living you don't give anything away"

    Most bettors wont play that hedge because it ties their limited bankroll up for the night and they are hoping to use said bankroll for a better score. Huge amateur mistake.

    #2. Always look to play futures before and during season. Again amateurs won't do this because they can't tie money up for 2-4 months. If you don't have money to tie up for a measley couple months, you shouldn't be gambling. You should be working a second job because that level of BROKE can't afford to be gambling. Just being honest. So anyway, futures are gold and there are always soft lines because 95% of gamblers won't touch them because of limited bankroll. You can find beautiful hedges here way better than you will find anywhere else. I know right now one book that has Heat to win division -225 and another with Hawks to win division +300. That's because the Wizards are still in the mix but either Heat or Hawks will definitely win it. 

    #3. Don't be afraid to pound bad lines. Seriously screw the books. They don't care if they make you homeless. They have made people homeless and 90% of this board are check to check broke mainly because of gambling. I wish we could post pictures here. Tonight I got Celtics ML live action -500 when they were up 8 with 30 seconds left. Bad lines happens more than you think.I see a bad line, I'm pounding the fk out of it. 

    There are many other ways people can and do win consistently, it's really not just betting point spreads. 

    But nothing matters if you aren't an expert at money management. That's one area I need to get better at. 

    I doubt anyone is going to be a professional if they are limiting themselves to point spreads. Too many games come down to the end and can go either way. But for sure gamblers who use every possible angle, grind hard, and avoid "taking a shot" can and do win consistently. 

     

     
    Danny9999
    Danny9999
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2021
    Posts: 2025
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2023 - 3:51 AM ET #5

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut:

    No….but there are people in these forums who will claim they are.

    For people who aren't professionals, why don't they just quit ? Or is it like a drug addiction, where despite the obvious self destruction, they just can't quit.

    And by professional, I don't mean making $200,000 a year..I simply mean pretty consistently coming out with more win then lost. Even if only + $300 a month, I'm calling that professional. If I couldn't win consistently, I would just quit. It takes so much time from other areas of life anyway. To me, anyone who loses consistently and keeps doing it, has a serious addiction disorder. 

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut:

    No….but there are people in these forums who will claim they are.

    For people who aren't professionals, why don't they just quit ? Or is it like a drug addiction, where despite the obvious self destruction, they just can't quit.

    And by professional, I don't mean making $200,000 a year..I simply mean pretty consistently coming out with more win then lost. Even if only + $300 a month, I'm calling that professional. If I couldn't win consistently, I would just quit. It takes so much time from other areas of life anyway. To me, anyone who loses consistently and keeps doing it, has a serious addiction disorder. 

     
    bluecompass
    bluecompass
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2011
    Posts: 1557
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2023 - 8:20 AM ET #6

    Do professional gamblers really exist?  Most definitely, but they are few and far between.

    98% of bettors aren't profitable. They're in it for the action, not the profit.  Sure, some are addicted, but for others, sports betting is a hobby, just like fishing, golfing, etc...  There's nothing wrong with being in the 98%, as long as you aren't addicted and only play with money you can afford to lose, and understand that in the long run, you will lose.

    The other 2%, who are actually profitable, bet on sports for 1 reason - to make money.  These bettors understand that they will make far more from the bets they don't make than the ones they do.  They understand value.  For profitable bettors, it's not about the action, it's about the bottom line instead.  Sometimes this means waiting weeks or even months between bets.

    I'm profitable and have been for quite a few years now.  I rarely watch a game I have money on.  About 85% of my betting is done live and I focus on the areas I'm most profitable - NBA, CBB and MLB.  This means many nights, I'm spending 3-4 hours staring at computer screens, waiting for a profitable situation to present itself.  Some nights I might spend 3-4 hours and never make a bet.  Sometimes I spend 3-4 hours and make 8-10 bets.  Occasionally on a Saturday, I might spend 10 hours monitoring CBB and NBA games.  2 Saturdays ago, I put in a 10 hour day and made 1 wager, which lost.  Last Saturday, I put in 5 hours and made 4 wagers, winning 3.  I maintain an extensive database of all my wagers and use that info to avoid unprofitable situations.  For example, in CBB, I've found that I'm only actually successful from early January up until the conference tournaments start - so I avoid the early season action and March Madness altogether, because my models don't hold up during those periods of time, and it ends up costing me money.  For me, similar situations exist in MLB (rarely bet in April or after August) and NBA (I avoid the playoffs for the most part).  I dabble in futures bets across all sports if I can find some value, but typically risk very little doing so.  I also don't hesitate to hedge if it guarantees me a profit - if I live bet Team A at +money and later on can get Team B for +money, I'm gonna do it every single time. Yes, I'm profitable, but I don't consider myself to be a professional gambler, because 1) I'm not making enough money wagering on sports to support my family, and 2) 95% of my income comes from something else.

    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
    Reply

    Do professional gamblers really exist?  Most definitely, but they are few and far between.

    98% of bettors aren't profitable. They're in it for the action, not the profit.  Sure, some are addicted, but for others, sports betting is a hobby, just like fishing, golfing, etc...  There's nothing wrong with being in the 98%, as long as you aren't addicted and only play with money you can afford to lose, and understand that in the long run, you will lose.

    The other 2%, who are actually profitable, bet on sports for 1 reason - to make money.  These bettors understand that they will make far more from the bets they don't make than the ones they do.  They understand value.  For profitable bettors, it's not about the action, it's about the bottom line instead.  Sometimes this means waiting weeks or even months between bets.

    I'm profitable and have been for quite a few years now.  I rarely watch a game I have money on.  About 85% of my betting is done live and I focus on the areas I'm most profitable - NBA, CBB and MLB.  This means many nights, I'm spending 3-4 hours staring at computer screens, waiting for a profitable situation to present itself.  Some nights I might spend 3-4 hours and never make a bet.  Sometimes I spend 3-4 hours and make 8-10 bets.  Occasionally on a Saturday, I might spend 10 hours monitoring CBB and NBA games.  2 Saturdays ago, I put in a 10 hour day and made 1 wager, which lost.  Last Saturday, I put in 5 hours and made 4 wagers, winning 3.  I maintain an extensive database of all my wagers and use that info to avoid unprofitable situations.  For example, in CBB, I've found that I'm only actually successful from early January up until the conference tournaments start - so I avoid the early season action and March Madness altogether, because my models don't hold up during those periods of time, and it ends up costing me money.  For me, similar situations exist in MLB (rarely bet in April or after August) and NBA (I avoid the playoffs for the most part).  I dabble in futures bets across all sports if I can find some value, but typically risk very little doing so.  I also don't hesitate to hedge if it guarantees me a profit - if I live bet Team A at +money and later on can get Team B for +money, I'm gonna do it every single time. Yes, I'm profitable, but I don't consider myself to be a professional gambler, because 1) I'm not making enough money wagering on sports to support my family, and 2) 95% of my income comes from something else.

     
    OneWayOut
    OneWayOut
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2021
    Posts: 2135
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2023 - 4:46 PM ET #7

    @bluecompass

     If you’re profitable on MLB, you’re EXTREMELY lucky…clover

    Reply

    @bluecompass

     If you’re profitable on MLB, you’re EXTREMELY lucky…clover

     
    bluecompass
    bluecompass
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2011
    Posts: 1557
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2023 - 7:41 PM ET #8

    @OneWayOut

     Luck has nothing to do with it.

    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
    Reply

    @OneWayOut

     Luck has nothing to do with it.

     
    OneWayOut
    OneWayOut
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2021
    Posts: 2135
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2023 - 8:26 PM ET #9

    @bluecompass

     Bull$hit, luck has EVERYTHING to do with it. Don’t be so impressed with yourself….if you ARE actually profitable with MLB, which I seriously doubt. Anyone can make those claims.

    Reply

    @bluecompass

     Bull$hit, luck has EVERYTHING to do with it. Don’t be so impressed with yourself….if you ARE actually profitable with MLB, which I seriously doubt. Anyone can make those claims.

     
    JimmyGape
    JimmyGape
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2018
    Posts: 4860
    Posted: Feb. 9, 2023 - 11:09 PM ET #10

    I would agree that luck definitely plays a part.

    Reply

    I would agree that luck definitely plays a part.

     
    Danny9999
    Danny9999
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2021
    Posts: 2025
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2023 - 12:04 AM ET #11

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGape:

    I would agree that luck definitely plays a part.

    Luck is going to balance out over the long run. Nobody gets good luck all the time and nobody has bad luck all the time. If you win consistently it's not luck. That's like saying the 49ers have 5 championships because they are lucky

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGape:

    I would agree that luck definitely plays a part.

    Luck is going to balance out over the long run. Nobody gets good luck all the time and nobody has bad luck all the time. If you win consistently it's not luck. That's like saying the 49ers have 5 championships because they are lucky

     
    JimmyGape
    JimmyGape
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2018
    Posts: 4860
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2023 - 1:32 AM ET #12

    Im well aware of short and long term variance. The problem is, a lot of people are not in it for the long haul. 

    Joe Schmo has 5k and is drinking with his friends in Reno. Hes not a long term gambler but he throws 1k on 5 games over the course of his weekend, etc etc.

    The idea that everyone uses BR management and keeps all their bets recorded on a spreadsheet blah blah blah is absurd. 

    Thats why luck, in the short term will play a massive factor in determining if a lot of people win or lose.

    Reply

    Im well aware of short and long term variance. The problem is, a lot of people are not in it for the long haul. 

    Joe Schmo has 5k and is drinking with his friends in Reno. Hes not a long term gambler but he throws 1k on 5 games over the course of his weekend, etc etc.

    The idea that everyone uses BR management and keeps all their bets recorded on a spreadsheet blah blah blah is absurd. 

    Thats why luck, in the short term will play a massive factor in determining if a lot of people win or lose.

     
    Daddy_Freddie
    Daddy_Freddie
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 1916
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2023 - 7:00 PM ET #13

    Luck DOES exist..Luck is best defined as when Preparation Meets Opportunity

    Reply

    Luck DOES exist..Luck is best defined as when Preparation Meets Opportunity

     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Feb. 10, 2023 - 10:14 PM ET #14

    Handicapping is where the coin flip shifts.

    Not to 100 percent that is a result of fixing.

    But say someone usually bets 20.00 on any game played. He finds inside knowledge. A trainer jockey combination as an example and increases his wager in horses. 

    Say he has a good card count in black jack and increases his wager as an examples of different circumstances...

    Now the macro leagues sharks must do the same if they find specific angles hence we see line movements or lack of them.

    Soccer has a great many examples of game fixing. This then must be observed in gambling circumstances...

    Now before we get into it's all scripted sports entertainment ect.... Algorhythms can be formulated to discern how this is...

    I don't care if they are or not fixed simply would like to know when it is so I can bet a winner more often than loser. I saw a east coast west coast rating angle... 

    Obviously I was on the wrong side with bengals and San Fran. However the angle was still there with philli and kansas city being west enough.

    The simple fact is that in this perpetual coin flip 55% is enough to be profitable and 50% is enough to be unprofitable.

    Fans are the hard lot who no matter what bet their team.... However it is math would show when something is not right in any contest....

    Reply

    Handicapping is where the coin flip shifts.

    Not to 100 percent that is a result of fixing.

    But say someone usually bets 20.00 on any game played. He finds inside knowledge. A trainer jockey combination as an example and increases his wager in horses. 

    Say he has a good card count in black jack and increases his wager as an examples of different circumstances...

    Now the macro leagues sharks must do the same if they find specific angles hence we see line movements or lack of them.

    Soccer has a great many examples of game fixing. This then must be observed in gambling circumstances...

    Now before we get into it's all scripted sports entertainment ect.... Algorhythms can be formulated to discern how this is...

    I don't care if they are or not fixed simply would like to know when it is so I can bet a winner more often than loser. I saw a east coast west coast rating angle... 

    Obviously I was on the wrong side with bengals and San Fran. However the angle was still there with philli and kansas city being west enough.

    The simple fact is that in this perpetual coin flip 55% is enough to be profitable and 50% is enough to be unprofitable.

    Fans are the hard lot who no matter what bet their team.... However it is math would show when something is not right in any contest....

     
    OneWayOut
    OneWayOut
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2021
    Posts: 2135
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2023 - 11:03 AM ET #15

    [Quote: Originally Posted by nature1970]Handicapping is where the coin flip shifts. Not to 100 percent that is a result of fixing. But say someone usually bets 20.00 on any game played. He finds inside knowledge. A trainer jockey combination as an example and increases his wager in horses.  Say he has a good card count in black jack and increases his wager as an examples of different circumstances... Now the macro leagues sharks must do the same if they find specific angles hence we see line movements or lack of them. Soccer has a great many examples of game fixing. This then must be observed in gambling circumstances... Now before we get into it's all scripted sports entertainment ect.... Algorhythms can be formulated to discern how this is... I don't care if they are or not fixed simply would like to know when it is so I can bet a winner more often than loser. I saw a east coast west coast rating angle...  Obviously I was on the wrong side with bengals and San Fran. However the angle was still there with philli and kansas city being west enough. The simple fact is that in this perpetual coin flip 55% is enough to be profitable and 50% is enough to be unprofitable. Fans are the hard lot who no matter what bet their team.... However it is math would show when something is not right in any contest...WTF confused

    Reply

    [Quote: Originally Posted by nature1970]Handicapping is where the coin flip shifts. Not to 100 percent that is a result of fixing. But say someone usually bets 20.00 on any game played. He finds inside knowledge. A trainer jockey combination as an example and increases his wager in horses.  Say he has a good card count in black jack and increases his wager as an examples of different circumstances... Now the macro leagues sharks must do the same if they find specific angles hence we see line movements or lack of them. Soccer has a great many examples of game fixing. This then must be observed in gambling circumstances... Now before we get into it's all scripted sports entertainment ect.... Algorhythms can be formulated to discern how this is... I don't care if they are or not fixed simply would like to know when it is so I can bet a winner more often than loser. I saw a east coast west coast rating angle...  Obviously I was on the wrong side with bengals and San Fran. However the angle was still there with philli and kansas city being west enough. The simple fact is that in this perpetual coin flip 55% is enough to be profitable and 50% is enough to be unprofitable. Fans are the hard lot who no matter what bet their team.... However it is math would show when something is not right in any contest...WTF confused

     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2023 - 4:00 PM ET #16

    Ok. 1000 common people bet 100 dollars on a game and a shark sharp bets 100,000 to cover the action. 

     

    Hence the sharp money has an angle cause the house doesn't lose. If it was a straight game the odds would plummet so 100 covered 100k ... 

    Math could see that when the number of square bets vs number of sharp bets doesn't equal the line must move to where this is neutral... 

    1 plus 1 doesn't necessary equal 2.., 

    If you can make since of that you could discern when and how this simple equation using an algorithm would show possible circumstances where this may not always be the case...

    Why do I bother.... 

    "Gambling is for losers", so I state wanna bet....

    Reply

    Ok. 1000 common people bet 100 dollars on a game and a shark sharp bets 100,000 to cover the action. 

     

    Hence the sharp money has an angle cause the house doesn't lose. If it was a straight game the odds would plummet so 100 covered 100k ... 

    Math could see that when the number of square bets vs number of sharp bets doesn't equal the line must move to where this is neutral... 

    1 plus 1 doesn't necessary equal 2.., 

    If you can make since of that you could discern when and how this simple equation using an algorithm would show possible circumstances where this may not always be the case...

    Why do I bother.... 

    "Gambling is for losers", so I state wanna bet....

     
    OneWayOut
    OneWayOut
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2021
    Posts: 2135
    Posted: Feb. 11, 2023 - 10:42 PM ET #17

    Quote Originally Posted by nature1970:

    Ok. 1000 common people bet 100 dollars on a game and a shark sharp bets 100,000 to cover the action.    Hence the sharp money has an angle cause the house doesn't lose. If it was a straight game the odds would plummet so 100 covered 100k ...  Math could see that when the number of square bets vs number of sharp bets doesn't equal the line must move to where this is neutral...  1 plus 1 doesn't necessary equal 2..,  If you can make since of that you could discern when and how this simple equation using an algorithm would show possible circumstances where this may not always be the case... Why do I bother....  "Gambling is for losers", so I state wanna bet....
    Right there is your problem. Analytics…..an_roll_laughYou’ve been poisoned with the fairytale of “sharp bets”. It’s sports gambling, delete your algorithm and flip a coin. an_light

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by nature1970:

    Ok. 1000 common people bet 100 dollars on a game and a shark sharp bets 100,000 to cover the action.    Hence the sharp money has an angle cause the house doesn't lose. If it was a straight game the odds would plummet so 100 covered 100k ...  Math could see that when the number of square bets vs number of sharp bets doesn't equal the line must move to where this is neutral...  1 plus 1 doesn't necessary equal 2..,  If you can make since of that you could discern when and how this simple equation using an algorithm would show possible circumstances where this may not always be the case... Why do I bother....  "Gambling is for losers", so I state wanna bet....
    Right there is your problem. Analytics…..an_roll_laughYou’ve been poisoned with the fairytale of “sharp bets”. It’s sports gambling, delete your algorithm and flip a coin. an_light

     
    bluecompass
    bluecompass
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2011
    Posts: 1557
    Posted: Feb. 12, 2023 - 5:00 PM ET #18

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut:

    Right there is your problem. Analytics…..You’ve been poisoned with the fairytale of “sharp bets”. It’s sports gambling, delete your algorithm and flip a coin.

    If you can win consistently, it's not luck, it's not a coin flip.  You're obviously in the 98% who lose because they get eaten by the juice.  There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you're not wagering more than you can afford to lose.  Embrace your hobby for what it is - a hobby.

    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut:

    Right there is your problem. Analytics…..You’ve been poisoned with the fairytale of “sharp bets”. It’s sports gambling, delete your algorithm and flip a coin.

    If you can win consistently, it's not luck, it's not a coin flip.  You're obviously in the 98% who lose because they get eaten by the juice.  There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you're not wagering more than you can afford to lose.  Embrace your hobby for what it is - a hobby.

     
    666LES
    666LES
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2006
    Posts: 4321
    Posted: Feb. 12, 2023 - 8:34 PM ET #19

    Lived in Vegas for 8 years and never had a job or paycheck/tax return.People who gamble for the rent?? They are Legion.

    Reply

    Lived in Vegas for 8 years and never had a job or paycheck/tax return.People who gamble for the rent?? They are Legion.

     
    OneWayOut
    OneWayOut
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2021
    Posts: 2135
    Posted: Feb. 12, 2023 - 10:00 PM ET #20

    @bluecompass

     Thanks for the advice, Junior. It’s been my “hobby” for over 50 years. You kids on this site are f’n hilarious.

    Reply

    @bluecompass

     Thanks for the advice, Junior. It’s been my “hobby” for over 50 years. You kids on this site are f’n hilarious.

     
    OneWayOut
    OneWayOut
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2021
    Posts: 2135
    Posted: Feb. 12, 2023 - 10:05 PM ET #21

    Quote Originally Posted by bluecompass:

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut: Right there is your problem. Analytics…..You’ve been poisoned with the fairytale of “sharp bets”. It’s sports gambling, delete your algorithm and flip a coin. If you can win consistently, it's not luck, it's not a coin flip.  You're obviously in the 98% who lose because they get eaten by the juice.  There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you're not wagering more than you can afford to lose.  Embrace your hobby for what it is - a hobby.
    I’m sure you’re in the other 2% who don’t lose….an_roll_laughSell that BS to someone else.

    Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by bluecompass:

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut: Right there is your problem. Analytics…..You’ve been poisoned with the fairytale of “sharp bets”. It’s sports gambling, delete your algorithm and flip a coin. If you can win consistently, it's not luck, it's not a coin flip.  You're obviously in the 98% who lose because they get eaten by the juice.  There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you're not wagering more than you can afford to lose.  Embrace your hobby for what it is - a hobby.
    I’m sure you’re in the other 2% who don’t lose….an_roll_laughSell that BS to someone else.

     
    maxwagers781
    maxwagers781
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2020
    Posts: 3276
    Posted: Feb. 13, 2023 - 8:55 AM ET #22

    where are they and what do they look like 

     

    Nuthin but a g thang baby
    Reply

    where are they and what do they look like 

     

     
    nature1970
    nature1970
    Hall of Fame
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2015
    Posts: 21593
    Posted: Feb. 13, 2023 - 12:04 PM ET #23

    Professional gamblers...

    Phil helmouth 

    Phil laak 

    Dr fergursen. He also teaches gaming theory as a professor so maybe gambling became a part time job...

    Phil Ivy.... Ect ect... 

     

     

     

    Reply

    Professional gamblers...

    Phil helmouth 

    Phil laak 

    Dr fergursen. He also teaches gaming theory as a professor so maybe gambling became a part time job...

    Phil Ivy.... Ect ect... 

     

     

     

     
    jjj888
    jjj888
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2019
    Posts: 170
    Posted: Feb. 14, 2023 - 6:48 PM ET #24

    @nature1970

     I was after professional "sports gamblers".....I know the best poker players can make a living.  I hear them interview professional sports wagers on VSIN, but would love to see actual tax returns............

    Reply

    @nature1970

     I was after professional "sports gamblers".....I know the best poker players can make a living.  I hear them interview professional sports wagers on VSIN, but would love to see actual tax returns............

     
     
    EmmaB
    EmmaB
    Prospect
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2020
    Posts: 16
    Posted: Feb. 14, 2023 - 10:19 PM ET #25

     take it seriously. Aside from the people who compete in poker tournaments, there are really thos who are professional gamblers and make casinos their source of income. lol most of them dont look like athletes haha. 

    Reply

     take it seriously. Aside from the people who compete in poker tournaments, there are really thos who are professional gamblers and make casinos their source of income. lol most of them dont look like athletes haha. 

    All Forums | General Discussion
    12 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • Claiming Prizes 57,609
    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 450,456
    • Sunday 09/27/2026 504
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 265,129
    • Rams vs Broncos in game live SNF 2,709
    • Sunday 3,124
    • NFL LOCKED IN! 101,938
    • HELP PLEASE 1,474
    • NFL THREAD * 151 * 13,579
    • NFL Sunday 7,452

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.