• Forums
  • Best Betting Sites
  • Sportsbook Promos
  • Best Sports Betting Apps
  • NFL Betting Forum
  • NBA Betting Forum
  • MLB Betting Forum
  • NHL Betting Forum
  • NCAAF Betting Forum
  • NCAAB Betting Forum
  • Soccer Betting Forum
  • Tennis Betting Forum
  • General Discussion
  • Help Forum
  • Guidelines
  • FAQ
  • Forum Updates
    Covers Logo
    Covers App
    Faster picks. Smarter bets.
    All in the NEW Covers App
    Download on the App Store Download on the Google Play Store
    • Sports
      • NFL
        • Back
        • NFL
        • NFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NFL Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NCAAF
        • Back
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAF Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NCAAF Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NBA
        • Back
        • NBA
        • NBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • NCAAB
        • Back
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • NCAAB Picks
        • Injuries
      • MLB
        • Back
        • MLB
        • MLB Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • MLB Picks
        • Weather
        • Injuries
      • NHL
        • Back
        • NHL
        • NHL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • Prop Projections
        • NHL Picks
        • Injuries
      • Soccer
      • UFC
      • WNBA
        • Back
        • WNBA
        • WNBA Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • WNBA Picks
        • Injuries
      • CFL
        • Back
        • CFL
        • CFL Home
        • Scores & Matchups
        • CFL Picks
      • Golf
        • Back
        • Golf
        • Golf Home
        • Golf Odds
        • Masters Odds
        • PGA Championship Odds
        • US Open Odds
        • British Open Odds
        • Ryder Cup Odds
        • Golf Picks
    • Odds
      • All Odds
      • NFL
      • NCAAF
      • NBA
      • NCAAB
      • MLB
      • NHL
      • Golf
      • Soccer Odds
        • Back
        • Soccer Odds
        • MLS Odds
        • Champions League Odds
        • Premier League Odds
      • UFC
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • Election Odds
      • Futures
        • Back
        • Futures
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • MLB
        • NHL
        • NCAAB
        • NCAAF
      • Sports Odds History
    • Picks
      • All Picks
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • NHL
      • MLB
      • NCAAF
      • NCAAB
      • Golf
      • WNBA
      • CFL
      • User Picks
      • Team User Picks
      • Consensus Picks
        • Back
        • Consensus Picks
        • All Consensus Picks
        • NFL
        • NBA
        • NHL
        • MLB
        • NCAAF
        • NCAAB
        • CFL
        • WNBA
        • Consensus FAQ
        • Public Money
    • Prop Projections
      • NFL
      • NBA
      • MLB
      • NHL
    • Betting
      • US Betting Sites
      • Canada Betting Sites
      • Sportsbook Reviews
      • States
        • Back
        • States
        • US Legal Tracker
        • Revenue Tracker
        • Arizona
        • Arkansas
        • California
        • Colorado
        • Connecticut
        • DC
        • Florida
        • Georgia
        • Illinois
        • Indiana
        • Iowa
        • Kansas
        • Kentucky
        • Louisiana
        • Maine
        • Maryland
        • Massachusetts
        • Michigan
        • Mississippi
        • Missouri
        • Nevada
        • New Hampshire
        • New Jersey
        • New York
        • North Carolina
        • Ohio
        • Oregon
        • Pennsylvania
        • Tennessee
        • Texas
        • Vermont
        • Virginia
        • West Virginia
        • Wyoming
      • Provinces
        • Back
        • Provinces
        • Alberta
        • British Columbia
        • Manitoba
        • New Brunswick
        • Newfoundland and Labrador
        • Northwest Territories
        • Nova Scotia
        • Nunavut
        • Ontario
        • Prince Edward Island
        • Quebec (English)
        • Quebec (francais)
        • Saskatchewan
        • Yukon
      • By Sport
        • Back
        • By Sport
        • Baseball
        • Basketball
        • Boxing
        • College Football
        • F1
        • Football
        • Super Bowl
        • Golf
        • Hockey
        • Horse Racing
        • March Madness
        • Soccer
        • UFC
        • World Cup
      • Betting Apps
        • Back
        • Betting Apps
        • Best Sports Betting Apps USA
        • Ontario Sports Betting Apps
      • Rest of World
        • Back
        • Rest of World
        • UK Betting Offers
          • Back
          • UK Betting Offers
          • UK Betting Sites
          • bet365 Bonus Code UK
          • 888Sport Promo Code UK
          • William Hill Sign up Offer
          • Betway Sign up Offer
          • BetVictor Bonus Code UK
      • Betting Guides
        • Back
        • Betting Guides
        • All Guides
        • Glossary
        • Betting Calculators
          • Back
          • Betting Calculators
          • Odds Converter
          • Parlay Calculator
        • Futures Betting Guide
        • Moneyline Betting Guide
        • Over/Under Betting Guide
        • Parlay Betting Guide
        • Point Spread Betting Guide
        • Prop Betting Guide
        • Sports Betting Guides
          • Back
          • Sports Betting Guides
          • How To Bet On Sports Guide
          • NFL Betting Guide
          • NHL Betting Guide
          • NBA Betting Guide
          • MLB Betting Guide
          • NCAAB Betting Guide
          • NCAAF Betting Guide
          • Golf Betting Guide
          • Tennis Betting Guide
        • Teaser Betting Guide
      • Betting News
        • Back
        • Betting News
        • All News
        • Industry News
        • Podcasts
        • Covers Videos
        • Covers Writers
        • Offers & Boosts
    • Promos
      • Sportsbook Promos
      • Canada Sportsbook Promos
      • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Sportsbook
        • bet365 Bonus Code
        • BET99 Promo Code
        • BetMGM Bonus Code
        • BetRivers Bonus Code
        • Caesars Sportsbook Promo
        • DraftKings Promo Code
        • Fanatics Sportsbook Promo
        • FanDuel Promo Code
        • Hard Rock Bet Promo Code
        • Sports Interaction Promo
        • Stake Promo Code
        • theScore Bet Promo Code
        • TonyBet Promo Code
      • Bonuses By Region
        • Back
        • Bonuses By Region
        • Arkansas Promos
        • Arizona Promos
        • Colorado Promos
        • Connecticut Promos
        • DC Promos
        • Illinois Promos
        • Indiana Promos
        • Iowa Promos
        • Kansas Promos
        • Kentucky Promos
        • Louisiana Promos
        • Maine Promos
        • Maryland Promos
        • Massachusetts Promos
        • Michigan Promos
        • Missouri Promos
        • New Jersey Promos
        • New York Promos
        • North Carolina Promos
        • Ohio Promos
        • Pennsylvania Promos
        • Tennessee Promos
        • Vermont Promos
        • Virginia Promos
        • West Virginia Promos
        • Wyoming Promos
    • Forum & Contests
      • All Forums
      • NFL Betting Forum
      • MLB Betting Forum
      • NCAAB Betting Forum
      • NCAAF Betting Forum
      • NBA Betting Forum
      • NHL Betting Forum
      • Soccer Betting Forum
      • Contests
        • Back
        • Contests
        • Contests Home
        • Streak Survivor
        • King of Covers
        • My Contests
    • Casino
      • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Back
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes Casino
        • Sweepstakes No-Deposit Bonuses
        • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Back
          • Sweepstakes Promos
          • Card Crush
          • Casino.click
          • Chanced Casino
          • Crown Coins Casino
          • FreeSpin Casino
          • LoneStar
          • McLuck
          • Mega Bonanza Casino
          • PlayFame
          • Pulsz
          • Stake.us
      • US Casinos
        • Back
        • US Casinos
        • US Online Casinos
        • US Online Casino Bonuses
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • bet365 Casino Promo Code
          • BetRivers Casino Promo
          • Borgata Casino Bonus Code
          • Caesars Casino Bonus Code
          • DraftKings Casino Promo
          • Fanatics Casino Promo
          • FanDuel Casino Promo Code
          • Golden Nugget Casino Promo
          • Hard Rock Bet Casino Promo
          • Hollywood Casino Promo Code
      • Canada Casinos
        • Back
        • Canada Casinos
        • Canada Online Casinos
        • Provinces
          • Back
          • Provinces
          • Alberta Online Casino
          • BC Online Casino
          • Ontario Online Casinos
        • Casino Promos
          • Back
          • Casino Promos
          • BC.GAME Bonus Code
          • Cloudbet Promo Code
          • RainBet Promo Code
          • Roobet Promo Code
          • Shuffle Promo Code
          • Thrill Promo Code
    • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Markets
      • Prediction Market Apps
      • Prediction Market Promos
      • Kalshi Promo Code
      • Kalshi Referral Code
      • Polymarket Promo Code
      • Polymarket Referral Code
      • DraftKings Predictions Promo Code
      • Novig Promo Code
      • ProphetX Promo Code
      • Underdog Promo Code
      • Betr Promo Code
      • OG Promo Code
      • Fanatics Markets Promo Code
      • Plus500 Promo Code
      • Gemini Predictions Promo Code
    • NFL Week 4
      NFL Week 4
      • NFL Odds
      • NFL Picks
      • NFL Prediction Markets
      • NFL Betting Sites
    Covers Account
    Log in Create account
    Join free Log in
    All Forums | General Discussion

    Putting my Westie to sleep on Wednesday - need an opinion

    «First Previous 123 Next Last»
    Trigg
    jesron1269
    Mad_Skillz123
    benhogan76
    metalbill
    ...
    Participants:
    Search
    Views: 9188
    Posts: 61
    «First Previous 123 Next Last»
     
    Trigg
    Trigg
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2011
    Posts: 2888
    Posted: Sep. 11, 2012 - 12:01 PM ET #26

    If it should be that I grow weak?
    And pain should keep me from my sleep;?
    Then you must do what must be done,
    ?For this last battle can't be won.
    You will be sad, I understand;
    ?But don't let grief then stay your hand.?
    For this day more than all the rest,?
    Your love for me must stand the test.
    We've had so many happy years;?
    What is to come can hold no fears.?
    You don't want me to suffer so?
    The time has come, please let me go.
    Take me where my needs they'll tend,
    ?But please stay with me 'til the end?
    To hold me close and speak to me
    ?Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree,?
    It was a kindness done for me.?
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    ?From pain and suffering I'm saved.
    Please do not grieve that it was you
    ?Who had this painful thing to do.?
    We've been so close, we two, through the years;
    ?Don't let your heart hold any tears.

    - Author unknown.


    Reply
    If it should be that I grow weak?
    And pain should keep me from my sleep;?
    Then you must do what must be done,
    ?For this last battle can't be won.
    You will be sad, I understand;
    ?But don't let grief then stay your hand.?
    For this day more than all the rest,?
    Your love for me must stand the test.
    We've had so many happy years;?
    What is to come can hold no fears.?
    You don't want me to suffer so?
    The time has come, please let me go.
    Take me where my needs they'll tend,
    ?But please stay with me 'til the end?
    To hold me close and speak to me
    ?Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree,?
    It was a kindness done for me.?
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    ?From pain and suffering I'm saved.
    Please do not grieve that it was you
    ?Who had this painful thing to do.?
    We've been so close, we two, through the years;
    ?Don't let your heart hold any tears.

    - Author unknown.


     
    jesron1269
    jesron1269
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2008
    Posts: 37796
    Posted: Sep. 11, 2012 - 12:02 PM ET #27

    My childhold dog was put down in a similar fashion as a result of cancer.  We made him his favorite meal, beer  (yes he loved beer) and just pet him and talked to him all day before the vet came to the house that night and put him to sleep.  Still one of the best days and worst nights of my life but I know he appreciated us all being there as Jay said earlier I have no doubt he would have been their for any of us.  Take care!
    Reply
    My childhold dog was put down in a similar fashion as a result of cancer.  We made him his favorite meal, beer  (yes he loved beer) and just pet him and talked to him all day before the vet came to the house that night and put him to sleep.  Still one of the best days and worst nights of my life but I know he appreciated us all being there as Jay said earlier I have no doubt he would have been their for any of us.  Take care!
     
    Mad_Skillz123
    Mad_Skillz123
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2008
    Posts: 14143
    Posted: Sep. 11, 2012 - 6:55 PM ET #28





    Reply




     
    benhogan76
    benhogan76
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Apr, 2008
    Posts: 63854
    Posted: Sep. 11, 2012 - 7:10 PM ET #29

    It is the worst man but I went through this last year.  Me and my wife with our first dog, 8 years old had bone cancer.  I was working but left to go with wife to vets and she took it better then me I think. 

    The worse part for me was how much I enjoyed coming home each day from work and having my dog waiting tail a wagging, couldnt be happier to see me. We have since got new black lab puppy and it is really awesome coming home to a dog again.  It will get better in time.

    We should stop eating bananas.
    Reply

    It is the worst man but I went through this last year.  Me and my wife with our first dog, 8 years old had bone cancer.  I was working but left to go with wife to vets and she took it better then me I think. 

    The worse part for me was how much I enjoyed coming home each day from work and having my dog waiting tail a wagging, couldnt be happier to see me. We have since got new black lab puppy and it is really awesome coming home to a dog again.  It will get better in time.

     
    metalbill
    metalbill
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Feb, 2008
    Posts: 3310
    Posted: Sep. 11, 2012 - 8:43 PM ET #30

    don't know what i'd do, i can't have a dog cuz im single and work outta town often, not fair to the dog imo.

     but i'd say having a vet come to your home would be the least stress for your ol pal. peacefully at home surrounded by loved ones. 

    my folks put the family dog down last year, 12+ years i dunno, fuckin sucks man, but hey poor girl was deaf, blind, hips were fucked you name it. she's in a better place now for sure.

    keep in mind your doing a good deed, if it's in pain, suffering etc...

    grieve for a bit, move on and get another buddy soon, your old friend will want you to have new friend i'm sure.

    mans best friend                       

    Reply
    don't know what i'd do, i can't have a dog cuz im single and work outta town often, not fair to the dog imo.

     but i'd say having a vet come to your home would be the least stress for your ol pal. peacefully at home surrounded by loved ones. 

    my folks put the family dog down last year, 12+ years i dunno, fuckin sucks man, but hey poor girl was deaf, blind, hips were fucked you name it. she's in a better place now for sure.

    keep in mind your doing a good deed, if it's in pain, suffering etc...

    grieve for a bit, move on and get another buddy soon, your old friend will want you to have new friend i'm sure.

    mans best friend                       

     
    jmw59
    jmw59
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2005
    Posts: 14430
    Posted: Sep. 11, 2012 - 9:13 PM ET #31

    Reply
     
    Killer_B
    Killer_B
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 6288
    Posted: Sep. 12, 2012 - 12:22 AM ET #32

    Quote Originally Posted by joewashington:

    sorry I missed your post of the final moments already taking place. When I saw your first post I immediately responded.

    I'm glad you did what you did......and I see you are too. Maybe some more unsolicited advice?

    Sounds like you have a lot of love to give. Don't let your grief keep you from finding another friend very soon. Sometimes we feel a guilt thinking about getting another so soon....But your friend would want you to....and you will be better for it....and so will your new friend.....maybe find a rescue.

    Google "A Dog Loaned".....a poem to give you some comfort.

    Thanks to all and that's an awesome poem Trigg. Took the day off tomorrow, going to take Angel everywhere (oil change, In N Out Burger - which she absolutely adores, then to Wendy's for a Frosty). Tomorrow evening we go to the vet, unless the vet tells me it's too soon, it gets done. She had a bad night (like most) last night, labored breathing. When I got home today, she was great and ate pasta/pizza & garlic knots like a Rottweiler. The prednisone makes them eat/drink a lot. 

    I read the K9Critical link and it did offer some promise and testimonials were positive. Wish I would've seen that in early August.

    Her diagnosis was on 8/7/12:

    ***L/M that cytology on lymph nodes returned and suspicious of intermediate to high grade lymphoma which would match her clinical signs (significant swelling in several lymph nodes) and generalized lymphadenopathy. I highly recommend oncology workup and treatment for best case scenario with her and quality of life.***

    The vet told me that the best case scenario would be a year at a cost of $3-$5K (that likely means $6-$7K). I spent $8K in Dec 09 for diagnosis/surgery and it was worth every penny because she could be cured - and was. Lymphoma can only be pushed into remission. She already lost a part of a lung in '09. I do trust this vet and if he wanted to mislead me, he certainly could have but I didn't like the look on his face when he was feeling around and then the cytology came back confirming his suspicions. 
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by joewashington:

    sorry I missed your post of the final moments already taking place. When I saw your first post I immediately responded.

    I'm glad you did what you did......and I see you are too. Maybe some more unsolicited advice?

    Sounds like you have a lot of love to give. Don't let your grief keep you from finding another friend very soon. Sometimes we feel a guilt thinking about getting another so soon....But your friend would want you to....and you will be better for it....and so will your new friend.....maybe find a rescue.

    Google "A Dog Loaned".....a poem to give you some comfort.

    Thanks to all and that's an awesome poem Trigg. Took the day off tomorrow, going to take Angel everywhere (oil change, In N Out Burger - which she absolutely adores, then to Wendy's for a Frosty). Tomorrow evening we go to the vet, unless the vet tells me it's too soon, it gets done. She had a bad night (like most) last night, labored breathing. When I got home today, she was great and ate pasta/pizza & garlic knots like a Rottweiler. The prednisone makes them eat/drink a lot. 

    I read the K9Critical link and it did offer some promise and testimonials were positive. Wish I would've seen that in early August.

    Her diagnosis was on 8/7/12:

    ***L/M that cytology on lymph nodes returned and suspicious of intermediate to high grade lymphoma which would match her clinical signs (significant swelling in several lymph nodes) and generalized lymphadenopathy. I highly recommend oncology workup and treatment for best case scenario with her and quality of life.***

    The vet told me that the best case scenario would be a year at a cost of $3-$5K (that likely means $6-$7K). I spent $8K in Dec 09 for diagnosis/surgery and it was worth every penny because she could be cured - and was. Lymphoma can only be pushed into remission. She already lost a part of a lung in '09. I do trust this vet and if he wanted to mislead me, he certainly could have but I didn't like the look on his face when he was feeling around and then the cytology came back confirming his suspicions. 
     
    searchwarrant
    searchwarrant
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: May, 2003
    Posts: 71024
    Posted: Sep. 12, 2012 - 12:31 AM ET #33

    If it should be that I grow weak?
    And pain should keep me from my sleep;?
    Then you must do what must be done,
    ?For this last battle can't be won.
    You will be sad, I understand;
    ?But don't let grief then stay your hand.?
    For this day more than all the rest,?
    Your love for me must stand the test.
    We've had so many happy years;?
    What is to come can hold no fears.?
    You don't want me to suffer so?
    The time has come, please let me go.
    Take me where my needs they'll tend,
    ?But please stay with me 'til the end?
    To hold me close and speak to me
    ?Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree,?
    It was a kindness done for me.?
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    ?From pain and suffering I'm saved.
    Please do not grieve that it was you
    ?Who had this painful thing to do.?
    We've been so close, we two, through the years;
    ?Don't let your heart hold any tears.

    - Author unknown.


    If it should be that I grow weak?
    And pain should keep me from my sleep;?
    Then you must do what must be done,
    ?For this last battle can't be won.
    You will be sad, I understand;
    ?But don't let grief then stay your hand.?
    For this day more than all the rest,?
    Your love for me must stand the test.
    We've had so many happy years;?
    What is to come can hold no fears.?
    You don't want me to suffer so?
    The time has come, please let me go.
    Take me where my needs they'll tend,
    ?But please stay with me 'til the end?
    To hold me close and speak to me
    ?Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree,?
    It was a kindness done for me.?
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    ?From pain and suffering I'm saved.
    Please do not grieve that it was you
    ?Who had this painful thing to do.?
    We've been so close, we two, through the years;
    ?Don't let your heart hold any tears.

    That's beautiful.

    Reply
    If it should be that I grow weak?
    And pain should keep me from my sleep;?
    Then you must do what must be done,
    ?For this last battle can't be won.
    You will be sad, I understand;
    ?But don't let grief then stay your hand.?
    For this day more than all the rest,?
    Your love for me must stand the test.
    We've had so many happy years;?
    What is to come can hold no fears.?
    You don't want me to suffer so?
    The time has come, please let me go.
    Take me where my needs they'll tend,
    ?But please stay with me 'til the end?
    To hold me close and speak to me
    ?Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree,?
    It was a kindness done for me.?
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    ?From pain and suffering I'm saved.
    Please do not grieve that it was you
    ?Who had this painful thing to do.?
    We've been so close, we two, through the years;
    ?Don't let your heart hold any tears.

    - Author unknown.


    If it should be that I grow weak?
    And pain should keep me from my sleep;?
    Then you must do what must be done,
    ?For this last battle can't be won.
    You will be sad, I understand;
    ?But don't let grief then stay your hand.?
    For this day more than all the rest,?
    Your love for me must stand the test.
    We've had so many happy years;?
    What is to come can hold no fears.?
    You don't want me to suffer so?
    The time has come, please let me go.
    Take me where my needs they'll tend,
    ?But please stay with me 'til the end?
    To hold me close and speak to me
    ?Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree,?
    It was a kindness done for me.?
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    ?From pain and suffering I'm saved.
    Please do not grieve that it was you
    ?Who had this painful thing to do.?
    We've been so close, we two, through the years;
    ?Don't let your heart hold any tears.

    That's beautiful.

     
    tonydan
    tonydan
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2010
    Posts: 9304
    Posted: Sep. 12, 2012 - 1:55 AM ET #34

    Killer_B, i have a 3yr old german shepherd and i am dreading the day i have to make that decision with her. one thing i know for sure is that she is by my side thru good times and bad  and i love her to death.i know i will be there to hold her and talk to her when the time comes(i wouldnt think twice about it).man i never thought i could love a dog this much until i got her. i feel for ya dude. best wishes and  to you and Angel.
    Reply
    Killer_B, i have a 3yr old german shepherd and i am dreading the day i have to make that decision with her. one thing i know for sure is that she is by my side thru good times and bad  and i love her to death.i know i will be there to hold her and talk to her when the time comes(i wouldnt think twice about it).man i never thought i could love a dog this much until i got her. i feel for ya dude. best wishes and  to you and Angel.
     
    Killer_B
    Killer_B
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 6288
    Posted: Sep. 12, 2012 - 2:42 PM ET #35

    Just took her to vet to see what they thought of her condition. Vet says we don't have to act yet. Her labored breathing may be a positional problem in bed. She sleeps on the couch tonight. When her head is elevated on the arm of the couch the wheeze is minimal.

    Vet thinks she still has weeks left because she's still obviously happy. Everyday I have her is like hitting the lottery. I'm going to work today instead of doing this horrible deed which I've never been so excited to go to work. We went to In N Out after the vet (as promised). Angel's happy and so am I.

    Thanks again for the great posts, I really do appreciate them and I'm going to buy some of the K9Critical product food to do whatever I can to extend her life.

    Also, vet said the "high-grade" lymphoma is the real problem here. If it wasn't high-grade the chemo would've been an option to buy her some real time.
    Reply
    Just took her to vet to see what they thought of her condition. Vet says we don't have to act yet. Her labored breathing may be a positional problem in bed. She sleeps on the couch tonight. When her head is elevated on the arm of the couch the wheeze is minimal.

    Vet thinks she still has weeks left because she's still obviously happy. Everyday I have her is like hitting the lottery. I'm going to work today instead of doing this horrible deed which I've never been so excited to go to work. We went to In N Out after the vet (as promised). Angel's happy and so am I.

    Thanks again for the great posts, I really do appreciate them and I'm going to buy some of the K9Critical product food to do whatever I can to extend her life.

    Also, vet said the "high-grade" lymphoma is the real problem here. If it wasn't high-grade the chemo would've been an option to buy her some real time.
     
    LT56MVP
    LT56MVP
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Oct, 2002
    Posts: 3515
    Posted: Sep. 13, 2012 - 7:59 AM ET #36

    This thread just brought tears to my eyes. Im so sorry for your loss. I put my german sheppard down of 16 years in july. We were best friends and we did everything together. She had cancer in her snout. Vet came to the house and i cried harder tahn when I loss my parents and I couldnt understand why. I read its another kind of love they dont put you down and you can tell them anything and they dont judge you. They are always happy to see you and when your feeling down somehow they make you feel better. My dogs name was frosty I had her cremated 242.00.. i miss her every day. Once again I know how you feel. God bless...
    Reply
    This thread just brought tears to my eyes. Im so sorry for your loss. I put my german sheppard down of 16 years in july. We were best friends and we did everything together. She had cancer in her snout. Vet came to the house and i cried harder tahn when I loss my parents and I couldnt understand why. I read its another kind of love they dont put you down and you can tell them anything and they dont judge you. They are always happy to see you and when your feeling down somehow they make you feel better. My dogs name was frosty I had her cremated 242.00.. i miss her every day. Once again I know how you feel. God bless...
     
    HutchEmAll
    HutchEmAll
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 38704
    Posted: Sep. 13, 2012 - 4:46 PM ET #37

    My gal and I had to euthanize our cat last year.  The worst part was the drive to the vet knowing what was going on.  We both cried the whole way, cried during the process, and cried for 15 minutes as we said goodbye when she was gone.  

    It was horrible, but I do feel good knowing she went quickly and painlessly.  And she looked a lot more at peace after she died than she did when she was alive and could barely catch her breath.

    You will NOT regret being with your pet when they pass away.  The last person they see will be a person they love and who loves them. We should all be so lucky to go out that way.

    Pets can't speak, but if yours could, I'm guessing she would tell you, "thanks for such a great life."  

    Your pooch has been there for you.  Now it's time for you to be there for her.  It's really hard, but you will feel a certain sense of peace when she is gone as she no longer will be suffering.  


    Reply
    My gal and I had to euthanize our cat last year.  The worst part was the drive to the vet knowing what was going on.  We both cried the whole way, cried during the process, and cried for 15 minutes as we said goodbye when she was gone.  

    It was horrible, but I do feel good knowing she went quickly and painlessly.  And she looked a lot more at peace after she died than she did when she was alive and could barely catch her breath.

    You will NOT regret being with your pet when they pass away.  The last person they see will be a person they love and who loves them. We should all be so lucky to go out that way.

    Pets can't speak, but if yours could, I'm guessing she would tell you, "thanks for such a great life."  

    Your pooch has been there for you.  Now it's time for you to be there for her.  It's really hard, but you will feel a certain sense of peace when she is gone as she no longer will be suffering.  


     
    warcameagle56
    warcameagle56
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Dec, 2011
    Posts: 5418
    Posted: Sep. 13, 2012 - 4:50 PM ET #38

    Westies are great dogs.

    Reply

    Westies are great dogs.

     
    michaelpaul1
    michaelpaul1
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2007
    Posts: 22613
    Posted: Sep. 13, 2012 - 9:25 PM ET #39

    keep her as long as you can and look into other treatment options...essaic tea...medical and herbal... not all vets are the same...
    Reply
    keep her as long as you can and look into other treatment options...essaic tea...medical and herbal... not all vets are the same...
     
    Nut_Flopper
    Nut_Flopper
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2004
    Posts: 2413
    Posted: Sep. 13, 2012 - 9:58 PM ET #40

    This thread has me thinking now.

    First off I want to wish you and Angel the best K_B during this difficult time.

    I have not had a dog in years until recently. My daughter brought home a dog 6 months ago that was on the way to the pound. I told her we can foster her until we find a good home, I have an animal rescue friend that was going to help. Turns out our home became her home.

    I don't even want to think about when the time comes. Majority of the time I work from home so we spend a lot of time together. She is laying next to my chair as I type.

    I never thought I could get so attached to a dog again. Dogs truly are mans best friend.


    Reply
    This thread has me thinking now.

    First off I want to wish you and Angel the best K_B during this difficult time.

    I have not had a dog in years until recently. My daughter brought home a dog 6 months ago that was on the way to the pound. I told her we can foster her until we find a good home, I have an animal rescue friend that was going to help. Turns out our home became her home.

    I don't even want to think about when the time comes. Majority of the time I work from home so we spend a lot of time together. She is laying next to my chair as I type.

    I never thought I could get so attached to a dog again. Dogs truly are mans best friend.


     
    michaelpaul1
    michaelpaul1
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2007
    Posts: 22613
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2012 - 10:29 PM ET #41

    I hope she goes into remission and lives a longer life...
    Reply
    I hope she goes into remission and lives a longer life...
     
    Killer_B
    Killer_B
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 6288
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2012 - 11:28 PM ET #42

    She's still hangin' on. Eating and drinking great and still happy but it's definitely taking a toll on her, spends even more time on the couch (which is remarkable in itself:). I wish remission was a realistic hope, but unfortunately it isn't. I took her to my grocery store that I visit the bakery every morning before work for a croissant. I had 3 girls that ask about her everyday come out and meet her (one at a time), it was awesome! Everyday is a gift (for all of us), thanks michael (and everyone else too that showed great compassion). It's going to kill me losing her but it's been a great privilege being her Daddy. 
    Reply
    She's still hangin' on. Eating and drinking great and still happy but it's definitely taking a toll on her, spends even more time on the couch (which is remarkable in itself:). I wish remission was a realistic hope, but unfortunately it isn't. I took her to my grocery store that I visit the bakery every morning before work for a croissant. I had 3 girls that ask about her everyday come out and meet her (one at a time), it was awesome! Everyday is a gift (for all of us), thanks michael (and everyone else too that showed great compassion). It's going to kill me losing her but it's been a great privilege being her Daddy. 
     
    Irish08
    Irish08
    Veteran
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Nov, 2007
    Posts: 3656
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2012 - 11:38 PM ET #43

    Thats tough man. Feel for you
    Reply
    Thats tough man. Feel for you
     
    michaelpaul1
    michaelpaul1
    Banned
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Mar, 2007
    Posts: 22613
    Posted: Sep. 16, 2012 - 11:46 PM ET #44

    Reply
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8160
    Posted: Sep. 17, 2012 - 1:16 AM ET #45

    Man I hate to sound so pessimistic but since you seem to know that the end is so near, why keep putting it off? I know that you want to spend as much time with her as possible but I mean the sooner the end comes, the sooner you will be able to move on. It seems like you are just delaying the inevitable...don't get me wrong man, I am not trying to sound like a dick by any means but I feel like you are almost torturing yourself dragging this out.  But whatever you decide I hope it works out with you, your family and your pup for the best. 
    Reply
    Man I hate to sound so pessimistic but since you seem to know that the end is so near, why keep putting it off? I know that you want to spend as much time with her as possible but I mean the sooner the end comes, the sooner you will be able to move on. It seems like you are just delaying the inevitable...don't get me wrong man, I am not trying to sound like a dick by any means but I feel like you are almost torturing yourself dragging this out.  But whatever you decide I hope it works out with you, your family and your pup for the best. 
     
    Killer_B
    Killer_B
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2007
    Posts: 6288
    Posted: Sep. 17, 2012 - 1:26 AM ET #46

    I went to the vet with her on Wednesday to see what they thought planning to do it on Wednesday night (if she thought it was time). I will not let her suffer. The vet said she still has a good quality of life. She still gets excited, eats good, she's not in agonizing pain. The vet also said she'll let me know when she doesn't want to fight anymore. I'm the kind of guy that hates putting things off that need to be done but it's not her time yet and I'm fine with that. 

    I appreciate your thoughts and believe me the inevitable sucks. The vet told me she never heard anyone say "we did this too soon" meaning they say "we waited too long". It's a tough thing but the first sign that she's in any kind of pain it'll be time, it's just not right to put her to sleep until the time is right. I wish someone looked out for us like this, it's the humane thing to do. 




    Reply
    I went to the vet with her on Wednesday to see what they thought planning to do it on Wednesday night (if she thought it was time). I will not let her suffer. The vet said she still has a good quality of life. She still gets excited, eats good, she's not in agonizing pain. The vet also said she'll let me know when she doesn't want to fight anymore. I'm the kind of guy that hates putting things off that need to be done but it's not her time yet and I'm fine with that. 

    I appreciate your thoughts and believe me the inevitable sucks. The vet told me she never heard anyone say "we did this too soon" meaning they say "we waited too long". It's a tough thing but the first sign that she's in any kind of pain it'll be time, it's just not right to put her to sleep until the time is right. I wish someone looked out for us like this, it's the humane thing to do. 




     
    Messier-11
    Messier-11
    All-Star
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Aug, 2009
    Posts: 11184
    Posted: Sep. 17, 2012 - 5:54 AM ET #47

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpaul1:

    keep her as long as you can and look into other treatment options...essaic tea...medical and herbal... not all vets are the same...


    sounds like hogwash to me. if the vet tells me my dog has some incurable disease im not going to start giving it essaic tea. Time to face reality at that point and try and make the dogs last moments on earth count....lots of walks, swimming, steaks, hot female dogs, etc
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpaul1:

    keep her as long as you can and look into other treatment options...essaic tea...medical and herbal... not all vets are the same...


    sounds like hogwash to me. if the vet tells me my dog has some incurable disease im not going to start giving it essaic tea. Time to face reality at that point and try and make the dogs last moments on earth count....lots of walks, swimming, steaks, hot female dogs, etc
     
    Biscuiteater1
    Biscuiteater1
    Legend
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jan, 2011
    Posts: 33089
    Posted: Sep. 17, 2012 - 9:44 AM ET #48

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry-Lilly:

    I paid a vet to come to my house to put Lilly down.  She was such a great dog and I wanted her last moments to be at her home with her family.  It seemed like the best choice for her and for us, as she was happy laying beside me instead of scared at a vet's office.  It was a heartbreaking experience none the less and there's no easy way out.  I feel for you, bro.
     This is the way to go, without a doubt.
    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry-Lilly:

    I paid a vet to come to my house to put Lilly down.  She was such a great dog and I wanted her last moments to be at her home with her family.  It seemed like the best choice for her and for us, as she was happy laying beside me instead of scared at a vet's office.  It was a heartbreaking experience none the less and there's no easy way out.  I feel for you, bro.
     This is the way to go, without a doubt.
     
    The Hawk
    The Hawk
    MVP
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Jul, 2006
    Posts: 19693
    Posted: Sep. 17, 2012 - 1:30 PM ET #49

    Check out the Rainbow Bridge on the net.

    It may offer you some hope/comfort during troubling times.

    May God Bless Angel

    Reply

    Check out the Rainbow Bridge on the net.

    It may offer you some hope/comfort during troubling times.

    May God Bless Angel

     
     
    ad1260
    ad1260
    Captain
    Participation Meter
    Joined: Sep, 2007
    Posts: 8160
    Posted: Sep. 17, 2012 - 5:19 PM ET #50

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_B:

    I went to the vet with her on Wednesday to see what they thought planning to do it on Wednesday night (if she thought it was time). I will not let her suffer. The vet said she still has a good quality of life. She still gets excited, eats good, she's not in agonizing pain. The vet also said she'll let me know when she doesn't want to fight anymore. I'm the kind of guy that hates putting things off that need to be done but it's not her time yet and I'm fine with that. 

    I appreciate your thoughts and believe me the inevitable sucks. The vet told me she never heard anyone say "we did this too soon" meaning they say "we waited too long". It's a tough thing but the first sign that she's in any kind of pain it'll be time, it's just not right to put her to sleep until the time is right. I wish someone looked out for us like this, it's the humane thing to do. 





    Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_B:

    I went to the vet with her on Wednesday to see what they thought planning to do it on Wednesday night (if she thought it was time). I will not let her suffer. The vet said she still has a good quality of life. She still gets excited, eats good, she's not in agonizing pain. The vet also said she'll let me know when she doesn't want to fight anymore. I'm the kind of guy that hates putting things off that need to be done but it's not her time yet and I'm fine with that. 

    I appreciate your thoughts and believe me the inevitable sucks. The vet told me she never heard anyone say "we did this too soon" meaning they say "we waited too long". It's a tough thing but the first sign that she's in any kind of pain it'll be time, it's just not right to put her to sleep until the time is right. I wish someone looked out for us like this, it's the humane thing to do. 





    All Forums | General Discussion
    «First Previous 123 Next Last»

    Hot Forums IconHot Forum Topics

    • 🤢🥴💩_ Fubah's risky baseball bets _🥶😲🥵 456,330
    • Friday 10/02/2026 906
    • 🏈🏈🏈 Fubah2's risky CFB bets 266,362
    • PART DEUX 261
    • NCAA FOOTBALL. 151 31,208
    • Delaware QB Nick Minicucci 4,363
    • Week 5 Money 7,123
    • NCAA WEEK 5 ***Mission Impossible: Fade me and win *** 5,522
    • ?? KBO Plays 🥎 15,755
    • We have picked a terrible time to have the stupidest president ever 30,594

    Warning - External Link

    Report User

    Thank you for reporting
    This content is abusive or harmful
    This post is spam
    An error has occurred
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Delete Post

    Are you sure you would like to remove this post?

    Remove Thread

    Are you sure you would like to remove this thread?

    Scan Results

    Login/Register

    Happy to have you join the conversation. To do so, please login or create an account.
    Accounts are free and easy to create.

    Search


    Loading…

    Loading…

    About Us
    Contact Us
    Careers
    Our Team
    Brand
    Testimonials
    Betting Guides
    Sportsbook Reviews
    Betting News
    Podcasts
    Responsible Gambling
    Betting Sites
    US Betting Sites
    Canada Betting Sites
    Canada Casinos
    Best Betting Apps
    Contests
    Streak Survivor
    King of Covers
    Ultimate Race
    Office Pools
    The Covers community has
    810,221
    lifetime members worldwide
    Join our community today
    Covers 30 Years Logo Established in 1995,
    Covers is the world
    leader in sports
    betting information.
    21+
    Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
    Help Privacy Terms of Service Cookies Sitemap Forum
    YouTube logo
    Facebook logo
    Twitter logo
    Instagram logo
    LinkedIn logo
    Google News logo
    Covers is verified safe by:
    Evalon Logo Logo GPWA Logo GDPR logo Logo GeoTrust logo Logo PCI DSS logo Logo
    Copyright © 1995 - 2026 Genius Sports. All Rights Reserved.
    If you choose to make use of any information on this website including online sports betting services from any websites that may be featured on this website, we strongly recommend that you carefully check your local laws before doing so.It is your sole responsibility to understand your local laws and observe them strictly.Covers does not provide any advice or guidance as to the legality of online sports betting or other online gambling activities within your jurisdiction and you are responsible for complying with laws that are applicable to you in your relevant locality.Covers disclaims all liability associated with your use of this website and use of any information contained on it.As a condition of using this website, you agree to hold the owner of this website harmless from any claims arising from your use of any services on any third party website that may be featured by Covers.